Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscribe to our newsletter

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

Latest LowEndBox Offers

Raspberry Pi colocation
    New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

Raspberry Pi colocation

I Will ship the pie preinstalled,

Yearly offer least 100mbs and 1 ipv4

Max yearly price 60€/ year

Comments

• why not just use a VPS??
      What is the advantage of a pi?

• @greattomeetyou said:
      why not just use a VPS??
      What is the advantage of a pi?

We wanna host top of our instances, custom hardened OS build etc..

• can you create your hardened x64 OS, and load/install it to a VPS?

• @greattomeetyou said:
      can you create your hardened x64 OS, and load/install it to a VPS?

Well most providers dont provide custom iso, least if you are looking for openvz vps server that is cheaper compared against KVM vps.

• FoxelVoxFoxelVox Member

@Learntolive said:

@greattomeetyou said:

Well most providers dont provide custom iso, least if you are looking for openvz vps server that is cheaper compared against KVM vps.

Hetzner, vultr does in any case. I think if you ask a company they'll load it up for you too

Thanked by 1postcd
    • @FoxelVox said:

@Learntolive said:

@greattomeetyou said:

Hetzner, vultr does in any case. I think if you ask a company they'll load it up for you too

Yeah but still looking for colocation. Suits better my needs.

• uptimeuptime Member

Good luck with your budget

the Amitz.party lives on!

• williewillie Member

Scaleway C1?

#lexit spread the word.

• @uptime said:

Good luck with your budget

Well i can raise it to 80€ year

• IonSwitch_StanIonSwitch_Stan Member, Host Rep

Location requirements?

• @IonSwitch_Stan said:
      Location requirements?

All locations are fine

• freerangecloudfreerangecloud Member, Provider

I can do this in Fremont (WestCoast US) for $60/yr plus a $15 one time setup fee.

Thanked by 3Janevski RedSox uptime

VPS, Shared Hosting, Routed Subnets and more - https://freerangecloud.com

• @freerangecloud said:
      I can do this in Fremont (WestCoast US) for $60/yr plus a $15 one time setup fee.

1gbit port? Bandwidth limit?

Any test IP?

• williewillie Member
      edited June 29

@freerangecloud, veddy interesting. What would the setup look like? Pi in a box sitting on a rack shelf? Could you handle a pi with a usb laptop hdd on top of it? Slight extra cost would be ok of course. Total would still be within the pi adapter's 15 watt power capacity. External drive could be a small ssd if that's easier. Or maybe something like this? That's a bracket containing a 2.5" laptop drive plus a pi-like board. They also make a 3.5" model that is bigger. Hmm.

Thanked by 1Janevski

#lexit spread the word.

@Learntolive said:

@freerangecloud said:

Any test IP?

Port would be 100mbps unmetered. Looking glass available at: http://fmt.lg.freerangecloud.com/

Thanked by 2Janevski RedSox

@willie said:
      @freerangecloud, veddy interesting. What would the setup look like? Pi in a box sitting on a rack shelf? Could you handle a pi with a usb laptop hdd on top of it? Slight extra cost would be ok of course. Total would still be within the pi adapter's 15 watt power capacity. External drive could be a small ssd if that's easier. Or maybe something like this? That's a bracket containing a 2.5" laptop drive plus a pi-like board. They also make a 3.5" model that is bigger. Hmm.

Exactly correct, Pi on a shelf in our rack. If you wanted to include a USB HDD that's fine, probably would be an extra $10-15 on the setup fee (depending on how much remote hands charges)

Thanked by 1Janevski

• williewillie Member
      edited June 29

wow nice! They wouldn't have to plug anything together or anything like that. I could give them the pi box with the laptop drive on top with a rubber band holding them together :). This is getting interesting. I might take you up on it. especially if a HDD is possible, that's a super cheap way to get a 4tb or 5tb storage server. I think you are not charging enough :).

Thanked by 2Janevski RedSox

#lexit spread the word.

• @freerangecloud said:

Any test IP?> @freerangecloud said:

@Learntolive said:

@freerangecloud said:

Any test IP?

Port would be 100mbps unmetered. Looking glass available at: http://fmt.lg.freerangecloud.com/

Just ordered my new batch of raspberry pies, soon as it arrives I contact you for info pre-configure and ship it there.

• williewillie Member

Learntolive said: Just ordered my new batch of raspberry pies

pi 4's? What config? Where did you order them? Looks like there's a shortage of 4gb ones, but other models are easier to find.

#lexit spread the word.

@Learntolive said:

@freerangecloud said:

Any test IP?> @freerangecloud said:

@Learntolive said:

@freerangecloud said:

Any test IP?

Just ordered my new batch of raspberry pies, soon as it arrives I contact you for info pre-configure and ship it there.

Sounds good! Shoot me a PM when you're ready to order.

@willie said:
      wow nice! They wouldn't have to plug anything together or anything like that. I could give them the pi box with the laptop drive on top with a rubber band holding them together :). This is getting interesting. I might take you up on it. especially if a HDD is possible, that's a super cheap way to get a 4tb or 5tb storage server. I think you are not charging enough :).

I mean, I can charge more if you want ;)

I'm assuming you'll include the power supply as well, as long as it's within the 15W limit it shouldn't even be noticeable.

Not a regular plan (yet.. if there's enough demand maybe I should create something). Shoot me a PM and I'll generate an order link and we can co-ordinate logistics.

• @willie said:

Learntolive said: Just ordered my new batch of raspberry pies

pi 4's? What config? Where did you order them? Looks like there's a shortage of 4gb ones, but other models are easier to find.

Aliexpress and did order rpi 3 b + ones super cheap and full set:

http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/b2kp3glE

• @freerangecloud said:
      >

I'm assuming you'll include the power supply as well, as long as it's within the 15W limit it shouldn't even be noticeable.

Not a regular plan (yet.. if there's enough demand maybe I should create something). Shoot me a PM and I'll generate an order link and we can co-ordinate logistics.

would this be ok to include?

• defaultdefault Member

Fastmako (aff) - great VPS for your needs.

@Learntolive said:

@freerangecloud said:
      >

would this be ok to include?

Ummm.... is that a camera? Any particular reason you want to see the inside of a server cabinet?

• donlidonli Member

@freerangecloud said:

Ummm.... is that a camera? Any particular reason you want to see the inside of a server cabinet?

I like to keep a close eye on my data, don't you ?

• HarambeHarambe Member

@freerangecloud said:

He wants to live stream the FBI raid of your rack looking for his equipment

🐴 Recommended: $20/yr 512MB KVM - Unmetered bandwidth. $5/TB Block Storage - from BuyVM (aff)

• level6level6 Member

No more leaving your nickers to dry in the cabinet.

That's not me.

• williewillie Member

Learntolive said: Aliexpress and did order rpi 3 b + ones

That's the pi 3. You do know the pi 4 was just released, I hope:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-4-model-b/

There's another thread about it that I opened a couple days ago.

#lexit spread the word.

• @willie said:

Learntolive said: Aliexpress and did order rpi 3 b + ones

That's the pi 3. You do know the pi 4 was just released, I hope:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-4-model-b/

There's another thread about it that I opened a couple days ago.

I know that rpi 4 got released, dont need so good specs for my project 😎

• @cociu any offer?

• cociucociu Member, Provider

Learntolive said: @cociu any offer?

we can do something in your budget.

• @cociu said:

Learntolive said: @cociu any offer?

we can do something in your budget.

Give me deal, I ship you pre configured raspberry pi

• rcxbrcxb Member
      edited June 30

@willie said:
      I could give them the pi box with the laptop drive on top with a rubber band holding them together :).

Don't do it! Rubber bands don't last long.

Thanked by 2willie Janevski
    • @rcxb said:

@willie said:
      I could give them the pi box with the laptop drive on top with a rubber band holding them together :).

Well you can tape them together

• williewillie Member

I'll talk with Freerangecloud about possibly colo'ing something a little bit bigger than a pi, like an HC2 or a NUC. I can actually live without ipv4 if that helps (i.e. v6-only is fine, can always proxy a VPS if I need v4 for something). This is cool.

#lexit spread the word.

• poissonpoisson Member

@rcxb said:

@willie said:

Get some velcro.

Avoid scams and stay updated with legitimate great deals: LowEndBoxes Review | The LEBRE Whitelist of non-scammy lowend hosts | Join the #lexit party sans LEB scams.

• williewillie Member

Yeah I thought of those velcro straps but I'm also looking at some enclosures on ameridroid.com.

#lexit spread the word.

• level6level6 Member

Plastic tie

That's not me.

• Gamma17Gamma17 Member

For storage, Instead of tape and stuff something like this looks really nice and clean:

Best thing - with minimal board it all (including psu) fits within the same $35 which rpi costs.
      Main disadvantage - it is still USB2-SATA.

Thanked by 2uptime poisson
    • uptimeuptime Member

here's one I've been eyeing for a while but have not yet tried out:

https://ameridroid.com/products/odroid-hc2

The HC2 is built with a high performance SATA port and a Gigabit Ethernet port, to build a faster network storage device. It's engineered metal frame body is designed to store a 2.5 inch HDD/SSD or 3.5inch HDD

CPU is same as ODROID-XU4 (big/little architecture: Samsung Exynos5422 Cortex-A15 2Ghz and Cortex-A7 Octa core CPUs) w/ 2 GB ram, USB-2, SATA-3

about $55 (plus shipping and maybe tax)

I suppose if arranging for colo would also want to have an enclosure (in addition to the metal frame/heatsink) - but without enclosure the frame is designed to be stackable

Thanked by 2Gamma17 Janevski

the Amitz.party lives on!

• PureVoltagePureVoltage Member, Provider

We have been playing around with some more options for Pi and mini systems for our colocation. The only downsides of doing those systems is the cheap price/low profits and often the lack of any remote fixes such as IPMI so they require manual reboots if they go down.

PureVoltage Colocation with 6 Global locations, Seattle, LA, New York, Dallas, Chicago, and Amsterdam

• terrahostterrahost Member, Provider

We will be doing Raspberry Pi Colocation and Hosted "servers" later this year in Norway. 70 Pi's per 3U on our custom PCB with:

• Direct Console access to each Pi (via TTL-USB serial chips onboard the PCB)
      • Remote reboot
      • Automated reinstalls
      • Network based storage
      • Pi4 1-4GB

Pricing currently not set.

:)

Thanked by 1Aluminat

Terrahost AS - Dedicated and virtual servers - Colocation - Own datacenters in Norway - Accept Bitcoin

• williewillie Member

Concept of a pi as a compute server is not that interesting. It gets more interesting as an HDD storage server.

That Nanopi NAS box is nice! There is also the Odroid HC1/HC2 that got a relatively unfavorable comment from someone who had tried it, here on LET when I asked about it a few months ago (I forget who posted the comment though). Plus there is something for the more expensive and power hungry H1.

Thanked by 2uptime poisson

#lexit spread the word.

• @PureVoltage said:
      We have been playing around with some more options for Pi and mini systems for our colocation. The only downsides of doing those systems is the cheap price/low profits and often the lack of any remote fixes such as IPMI so they require manual reboots if they go down.

Any offer? 🤔

• Gamma17Gamma17 Member

Odroid hc2 is nice too, there are few potential issues however.

One i am always worried about when looking at all this ARM boards is software compatibility. Being stuck with specific kernel version with a bunch of (bug-ridden) proprietary blobs for drivers sucks. Allwinner chips have very nice community, almost as good as rpi. Sure without manufacturer support not everything goes smooth, like video decoding/gpu support is still problematic, but at least looking at H3/H5 devices i am sure that i will be able to run latest mainline kernel, may be with some limitations. Also H5 is 64bit, and looking at how aarch64 is now considered one of "Main architectures" for centos 8 it seems like a big "+".

I do not know how well samsung SOC-s are supported, and quick search did not provide any useful info apart from the fact that samsung requires signing NDA just to be able to get datasheet, so i probably would not buy such devices without talking to someone who already owns one first.

Thanked by 2uptime TheLinuxBug
    • williewillie Member

I know the Odroid XU4 has been well received. I should find the old thread discussions the HC1, but I think the complaints were about the hardware and packaging, rather than the software. Anyway, it's a headless server, so video drivers shouldn't come into the picture.

#lexit spread the word.

• kozikozi Member

@willie said:
      colo'ing something a little bit bigger than a pi, like an HC2 or a NUC.

I'd be interested in something like this too... I'd love to colo one of my NUC's.

• PureVoltagePureVoltage Member, Provider

@kozi said:

@willie said:
      colo'ing something a little bit bigger than a pi, like an HC2 or a NUC.

I'd be interested in something like this too... I'd love to colo one of my NUC's.

This is what we see more often even clients with full racks put in little nucs etc for remote windows boxes sometimes.

PureVoltage Colocation with 6 Global locations, Seattle, LA, New York, Dallas, Chicago, and Amsterdam