Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best cpanel alternatives - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best cpanel alternatives

Comments

• @AlwaysSkint said:
    @websitehostingvps
    Why repost the same points here, when they're already in another thread (especially still with the dodgy mod security advice)?

Edited, adding here so those who are struggling and going into meltdown mode can relax and use cwp.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • eva2000eva2000 Veteran

websitehostingvps said: http://centos-webpanel.com/

Please add any Recommendations of your own.

Love CentOS.org's comments https://www.centos.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=66365 regarding their unauthorised trademark usage etc

Due to an increasing number of questions regarding the product known as "CentOS Web Panel" (a.k.a CWP), I'd like to make it quite plain that this product has nothing whatsoever to do with the CentOS Project.

The use of the name "CentOS" in their application is not authorized by the CentOS Project.

The code they ship has never been vetted by or even read by any member of the CentOS Project.

Use of this product is entirely at your own risk and any posts regarding it on this forum will be closed. Please refer all questions about CWP to their support forums instead. We do not recommend its use.

• ITLabsITLabs Member

Best part is:

@eva2000 said:
    Use of this product is entirely at your own risk... We do not recommend its use.

:lol:

• @ITLabs said:
    Best part is:

@eva2000 said:
    Use of this product is entirely at your own risk... We do not recommend its use.

:lol:

Just covering their asses, I reckon. ;)

Thanked by 1websitehostingvps
  • Anyone care to comment on Virtualmin as a cPanel alternative? Seems a comprehensive and long standing product with a reasonable price point. What am I missing?

• donlidonli Member

@FutureForward2010 said:
    Anyone care to comment on Virtualmin as a cPanel alternative? Seems a comprehensive and long standing product with a reasonable price point. What am I missing?

"Reasonable price point" = Free and Open Source even (although a paid, supported version is available and cheaper than DA or cP).

• @FutureForward2010 said:
    Anyone care to comment on Virtualmin as a cPanel alternative? Seems a comprehensive and long standing product with a reasonable price point. What am I missing?

It's sysadmin friendly.
    Not reseller.

Enjoy peace.

• riotriot Member

@FutureForward2010 said:

I've used it on a few of my VPS for the last 18 months to host my own stuff, although I've used Webmin for what seems like a couple of decades. To add further context, I have been a sysadmin at a cPanel using hosting company, and have set up hosting environments for others using cPanel, ispconfig, and Virtualmin.

I'm not aware of a billing system for Virtualmin, but I don't need one so haven't looked. You might want to look closely into that if it is important to you.

It's a solid platform for hosting. That said, you should probably have a good understanding of both Linux administration and web hosting before diving in. Best support is on Centos, Debian, and Ubuntu.

The devs are friendly and helpful when they can be. Your support experience will be better if you can communicate clearly and concisely. I used to try and help out with basic Linux admin questions on their forum, but I lack time and patience for dealing with the constant stream of newbs and those for whom English is a 2nd language.

Spin up a cheap VPS with ~2 cpu and 2GB RAM and give it a try. Once you have it installed, finish all your usual VPS setup steps, then in Virtualmin create your plans and set the defaults first. Then start making accounts etc.

If you're looking at migrating some customers from cPanel, there's a guide here: https://www.virtualmin.com/documentation/id,virtualmin_for_cpanel_users

• DirectAdmin is fantastic. Support is excellent. About a year ago I spent weeks researching alternatives, and the free options just were too risky. They seem to come and go. DirectAdmin has been solid for me and I purchased a lifetime license.

• DirectAdmin is the closest best cpanel alternative (in terms of looks, features and ease of managing). Webuzo, Interworx are also good. I've used DA and Interworx in past.

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

We are using Plesk for years and we are happy with it. UI is user friendly, and allows to manage Wordpress installation pretty easily.

Thanked by 1WebProject
  • level6level6 Member
    edited July 2019

@Ikoula said:
    We are using Plesk for years and we are happy with it. UI is user friendly, and allows to manage Wordpress installation pretty easily.

The thread title should have been -
    "Best cpanel and Plesk alternatives" since both owned by the same venture capital firm.

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • Great post. Webmin is awesome, never used Virtualmin and extremely surprised no one has forked/modded Virtualmin to be more reseller/commerce friendly.

The Webmin maintainer(s)?? really know what they are doing...

I think I started using Webmin is 2001 or so. It's about as good as it gets and surprised there isn't this whole commerce driven community surrounding it. Instead everyone is re-inventing the wheel with Panel X Panel Y and Panel Z instead of someone monetizing Virtualmin.

@riot said:

@FutureForward2010 said:

I've used it on a few of my VPS for the last 18 months to host my own stuff, although I've used Webmin for what seems like a couple of decades. To add further context, I have been a sysadmin at a cPanel using hosting company, and have set up hosting environments for others using cPanel, ispconfig, and Virtualmin.

I'm not aware of a billing system for Virtualmin, but I don't need one so haven't looked. You might want to look closely into that if it is important to you.

It's a solid platform for hosting. That said, you should probably have a good understanding of both Linux administration and web hosting before diving in. Best support is on Centos, Debian, and Ubuntu.

The devs are friendly and helpful when they can be. Your support experience will be better if you can communicate clearly and concisely. I used to try and help out with basic Linux admin questions on their forum, but I lack time and patience for dealing with the constant stream of newbs and those for whom English is a 2nd language.

Spin up a cheap VPS with ~2 cpu and 2GB RAM and give it a try. Once you have it installed, finish all your usual VPS setup steps, then in Virtualmin create your plans and set the defaults first. Then start making accounts etc.

If you're looking at migrating some customers from cPanel, there's a guide here: https://www.virtualmin.com/documentation/id,virtualmin_for_cpanel_users

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2019

DA just became best alternative due to price nothing else as never was popular till cPanel price increase (let’s be honest, who wanted it last year or year before to have such control panel??), the original DA skin is so 90x, new slightly better but a few functions are missing, so pointless to have control panel when we can use ssh without control panel but for our customers we need something what they can use similar to cPanel.

We are migrating to Plesk our services as we do find Plesk better alternative to DA.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

WebProject said: We are migrating to Plesk our services as we do find Plesk better alternative to DA.

You're aware Plesk will do the same pricing within the next 12 months right?

Francisco

• LeeLee Veteran

WebProject said: DA just became best alternative due to price nothing else as never was popular till cPanel price increase (let’s be honest, who wanted it last year or year before to have such control panel??), the original DA skin is so 90x, new slightly better but a few functions are missing, so pointless to have control panel when we can use ssh without control panel but for our customers we need something what they can use similar to cPanel.

We are migrating to Plesk our services as we do find Plesk better alternative to DA.

I get it and I agree with most of what you have said. But moving to another Oakley owned panel is really not the answer, stay with cPanel.

• XiNiXXiNiX Member, Host Rep

@desfire said:
    I'm installing InterWorx, they offer 2 weeks trial. Used them in the past and they were pretty good, let's see if they have improved

Does it support CloudLinux ?

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Francisco said: You're aware Plesk will do the same pricing within the next 12 months right?

Francisco

yes, we are aware about, but the DA or JBMC Software can remove at any time the wording about their protection against price increase as it was originally on OWNED or LIEFTIME license so their protection is just empty words or subject to change at any time!

• Direct Admin is best available alternative to cPanel.
    Also their support team rocks :)

Thanked by 1eva2000
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@vpsjungle said:
    Direct Admin is best available alternative to cPanel.
    Also their support team rocks :)

I support this comment. 😁👽

Thanked by 2eva2000 vpsjungle
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

WebProject said: yes, we are aware about, but the DA or JBMC Software can remove at any time the wording about their protection against price increase as it was originally on OWNED or LIEFTIME license so their protection is just empty words or subject to change at any time!

You're still in better hands on DirectAdmin.

Maybe down the road @DA_Mark will decide he wants to revitalize the entire Alberta economy on his own. Maybe.

You're guaranteed that Plesk is going to ream every single provider within the next 12 months. Solus will get the same once V2 announces.

Francisco

Thanked by 1eva2000
  • JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

I agree... plesk and solus are next.....

I have 1 cPanel server left to migrate.... but it’s the ease of cPanel holding me back..... I like DA. It does what it needs, but the familiarity of cPanel is nice.

• does it support softaculous ?

• @JoeF said:
    What would you recommend as a cpanel alternative paid or free?

Have a nice day ,
    Alternatively, Directadmin with the new interface would be the best solution. Using the icon grid theme is very easy for the user. The standard cyberpanel can be used for free, and with openlitespeed it offers a good performance.

• bikegremlinbikegremlin Member
    edited August 2019

@WebProject said:

Francisco said: You're aware Plesk will do the same pricing within the next 12 months right?

Francisco

yes, we are aware about, but the DA or JBMC Software can remove at any time the wording about their protection against price increase as it was originally on OWNED or LIEFTIME license so their protection is just empty words or subject to change at any time!

My understanding is that DA have (and still are) honored both Owned and Lifetime licenses.
    The new pricing is for the new customers.

Likewise - it is also my understanding that they are stating that the pricing will remain the same as at the moment of signing up.

Of course, I don't know whether you get that in a written contract when subscribing and what the guarantee (besides their reputation) is behind that (anything legally / financially binding).

• @Dilstar said:
    does it support softaculous ?

Softaculous is available for DA.

• Directadmin, OviPanel, Kloxo-MR ,CentOS Web Panel .

• HostUpHostUp Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2019

VPS hosting with nginx web server is quite a superior option over cpanel :). But... If you reallllyyy want to use a control panel, use plesk. They have great support!

• ISPmanager it also have cpanel importer.

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited August 2019

Note: CentOS Web Panel is now changing to Control Web Panel ;)

Thanked by 1gonaif