Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best cpanel alternatives - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best cpanel alternatives

Comments

• Interworx and already moved away from cPanel

Thanked by 1websitehostingvps
  • @Ympker said:

@websitehostingvps said:

hackerman said: HestiaCP

Is this a better option than ISPconfig?

It is another option. I wouldn't say better for either tbh. Both are good options in their own way. I'd probably use HestiaCP more for private sites, ISPConfig for clients. Just my two cents.

Thanks, I am leaning towards ispconfig seems the most logical choice so far

• I don't believe I have any experience with it but there's also ISPManager.

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited June 2019

@websitehostingvps said:
    .. ispconfig seems the most logical choice so far

With no cPanel migration script? ISPConfig does look pretty good in the 1st hour of looking, as long as I can shoehorn in CSF and the fundamentals like DKIM work. More than 2 nameservers - not in the DNS Zone Wizard GUI. At least DNS records can be added easily though.
    Those used to cPanel/WHM may be appreciative if more love was given to CentOS by other panels.

• There is a DirectAdmin skin similar to cPanel's, it cost $4/mo or $19/y

https://cyber-es.cyberneticos.com:2222

user: demo_admin, demo_reseller, demo_user
    password: demo

It looks nice

• deankdeank Member, Troll

The annual cost is too high for lowend hosts.

• Actually there are quite a few alternatives. My pick would DirectAdmin (commercial) or Webmin, CentOS Web Pannel in case of free ones.

Here's a nice list:
    https://geektnt.com/8-best-cpanel-whm-alternatives-2019.html

Thanked by 1mrTom
  • Currently looking at InterWorx as a replacement, and initial testing shows promise. Their support/sales guys are also quite responsive.

Thanked by 1Ali1
  • SamPSamP Member
    edited June 2019

Found one similar to deprecated cpanel x3 theme for DA - http://www.cpskins.com/vbcover/vbcart/screenshots/trixpack_directadmin_user_panel.jpg , not sure if this is still available though.

• @desfire said:
    There is a DirectAdmin skin similar to cPanel's, it cost $4/mo or $19/y

https://cyber-es.cyberneticos.com:2222

user: demo_admin, demo_reseller, demo_user
    password: demo

It looks nice

my pp is hard

• AlwaysSkint said: ISPConfig does look pretty good in the 1st hour of looking,

Been researching and getting feedback from this forum and it does seem like i have to go with ISPConfig due to it having good security, other free panels look better but security is the number 1 priority. Would love webuzo but it does not have as many features sadly.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @SamP said:
    Found one similar to deprecated cpanel x3 theme for DA - http://www.cpskins.com/vbcover/vbcart/screenshots/trixpack_directadmin_user_panel.jpg , not sure if this is still available though.

Someone has told on WHT that DirectAdmin is creating a new theme similar to cPanel

• Many seem to be looking at DirectAdmin.

In a few days, months, or within a year, they could stop selling lifetime licenses and rise prices.

Will they be "as bad" as cPanel? Don't know. If it's private owned and the owner feels that would be wrong, then probably not.

If they are a corporation, or get an offer they can't refuse from a corporation (the same one that bought cPanel?) - well, then back to square one...

• @bikegremlin said:
    Many seem to be looking at DirectAdmin.

In a few days, months, or within a year, they could stop selling lifetime licenses and rise prices.

Will they be "as bad" as cPanel? Don't know. If it's private owned and the owner feels that would be wrong, then probably not.

If they are a corporation, or get an offer they can't refuse from a corporation (the same one that bought cPanel?) - well, then back to square one...

DirectAdmin has a protection agains price increases, they can only increase prices of new licenses and not old ones.

• @desfire said:

@bikegremlin said:
    Many seem to be looking at DirectAdmin.

DirectAdmin has a protection agains price increases, they can only increase prices of new licenses and not old ones.

Which would affect "only" those switching from cPanel? :)
    ...That being over 50% of the hosting industry from what I can read these days.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited June 2019

Some remarks from someone who doesn't like panels but has to use them because that's how VPS hosting goes.

• The most important and vital feature is a console (like *VNC) because it's the one thing that allows you to control/repair a broken VPS/server. Unfortunately the panel listings usually do not even mention it (or only somewhere in small print).

• A "professional" company offering something that is a preferred hacker target written in PHP? Seriously?
      I understand when some foss guys use PHP. But a "professional" company selling a "product"? Sorry, no, no way. If they really had any professionality they would at least have changed to a much better "PHP" (facebook's Hack).

• "we support many distros" - and then 3 - 5 distros (typically the usual ones)? Ridiculous. That's not "many distros"; that's "a reasonable minimum".

• 4$ per month? Seriously? Even 1$/mo is too much. Don't be so greedy, you only offer a relatively simple tool. 5$/yr (single user) is the maximum I'd even consider (for accounts &gt> 50 max is 2$/yr).

• I'm known to be a fan of FinalHosting/@jordynegen11 and I like their fresh approach/their self made panel, although I guess it's PHP too. But that's not the only reason mentioning them, there is another one: It obviously makes sense financially to build a panel oneself if one is capable to do that. Such a panel might not have the plethora of features some big ones have (but it can grow ...) but it's a good tight fit for a particular provider and probably for some others too.

• Another reason pro FinalHost's approach: Typically panels tend to care about the clueless end users and that's OK. But there's also the experienced users some of whom hate panels - but occasionally need them. What I mean is that there is also a need for "unobtrusive" panels. The FinalHosting panel offers that. I can do all the things really needed plus there is a support chat with quick reaction time and there is a properly working(!) VNC console. From time to time they add a new feature and when they do I find it useful and interesting, e.g. firewall control.

In other words: It's more important to do the basics well and to then add, step by step, more really useful stuff properly and well than to have an overwhelming plethora of features. And being done by a provider (or a small group) has an often unseen advantage: they won't waste money to develop gadgets but they'll concentrate on the important stuff and on doing it well. So it's probably not a coincidence that the other panel I like is that of netcup.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited June 2019

@jsg said: Some remarks from someone who doesn't like panels but has to use them because that's how VPS hosting goes.

Just curious: have you used cPanel before?

If I understand well, you're talking about panels for VPSes (SolusVM, Virtualizer, and the like).

cPanel and the other panels mentioned in this thread are for shared hosting.

(I'm not saying that you're confusing the two. :smile: )

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @hackerman said:

@mehargags said:
    A better fork of VestaCP

HestiaCP

Not a single screenshot. Non-existent documentation.

The team is still working on that... it is in beta if you care to read the GIT page. It takes less than 10 mins to set it up on Debian / Ubuntu (no CentOS support right now) so just take the trouble and check. The interface is almost VestaCP but a bit better UI.

Thanked by 1Ympker

@angstrom said:
    Just curious: have you used cPanel before?

Yes, I have (unfortunately). And: Yes, I'm mainly talking about VPS and dedi panels because that seems to be core at LET.

• @truweb said:
    Vesta Control Panel < vestacp.com >

Vesta is ok but not for business. Support and community is non-existent ( practically )
    I switched out of vesta after a year and the famous security breach last year. cost me a day of rebuilding client sites. Have moved on to a sas model. very happy.

Thanked by 1truweb
  • Cpanel is good but many isp offering Plesk for free. But from all panels market, Cpanel is TOP 1

• LvivLviv Member

Webmin/Virtualmin

• williewillie Member

Can someone explain from an implementation point of view just what these panel thingies actually do? How hard is it really to write one?

I'm imagining a fairly simple CRUD app that keeps track of what's on the target servers, plus a bunch of Ansible playbooks to install and uninstall stuff, change configurations, add and delete email addresses, etc., plus some API client scripts to connect to billing systems/WHMCS/LetsEncrypt/whatever. So one panel instance could control a basically unlimited amount of target servers.

Am I missing something? Is more going on? I don't use these panels except for the simplest things, but I do usually use ansible for any frequently redone setup stuff. I may be a slightly untypical user in being more comfortable with config files that I can see, than magic buttons doing who knows what.

Thanks.

• Maybe CyberPanel is the best choice, especially to WordPress users.

• refikrefik Member
    edited July 2019

@mehargags said:
    A better fork of VestaCP

HestiaCP

Can You tell why is better?

• intovpsintovps Member, Host Rep

@jsg said:
    Some remarks from someone who doesn't like panels but has to use them because that's how VPS hosting goes.

• The most important and vital feature is a console (like *VNC) because it's the one thing that allows you to control/repair a broken VPS/server. Unfortunately the panel listings usually do not even mention it (or only somewhere in small print).

The console feature is usually available at the VPS control panel layer (e.g. SolusVM, Fleio etc.). not in the web hosting control panel (cPanel, DirectAdmin etc.).

DirectAdmin seems to be the popular choice.

Looks like bright future ahead for DirectAdmin.

Thanked by 1jsg
  • here is the list of best cPanel alternative

@willie said:
    Can someone explain from an implementation point of view just what these panel thingies actually do? How hard is it really to write one?

I'm imagining a fairly simple CRUD app that keeps track of what's on the target servers, plus a bunch of Ansible playbooks to install and uninstall stuff, change configurations, add and delete email addresses, etc., plus some API client scripts to connect to billing systems/WHMCS/LetsEncrypt/whatever. So one panel instance could control a basically unlimited amount of target servers.

Am I missing something? Is more going on? I don't use these panels except for the simplest things, but I do usually use ansible for any frequently redone setup stuff. I may be a slightly untypical user in being more comfortable with config files that I can see, than magic buttons doing who knows what.

Thanks.

I'm with you in your dislike of clicky-guis.

I don't think that the panel (software) itself is complicated but its interfacing is. After all we are talking

• about a hierarchical (typ. tree) system (my hosting business, the nodes - which may or may not be items themselves (dedis) - the VPS and hosting items (what a hosting client gets) plus evidently the clients.
    • about a messy plethora of OSs and "Sub-OSs" (distros, versions, ...) each with a "personality" (yum, apt, ...)
    • about potentially not being the only one interacting with or wrt the item (e.g. VPS user might change config files/data on his item)
    • about more than just a config interface (e.g. monitoring, data gathering, ...)
    • about something that should be very secure (which, I guess, almost none of them panel thingies is).
      plus the usual ugly software dev. rule: often enough all the small details, in this case the diversity, the housekeeping, the interfacing, possibly the DB, etc. take more time and work than the core itself.

I understand perfectly well that the beginning of that segment (like in many others) was about scratching ones itch by having some Perl or PHP guys writing some up some tools.
    What I do NOT understand and what gets me angry though is that they continued that route even when Perl and PHP became known as virtually a guarantee to create problems and vulnerabilities -and- when better alternatives (read: by no means really good but still sooooo much better than Perl or PHP) became available (and for free at that) because at the big end (e.g. facebook) the serious problems WERE understood and solutions or at least crooks were created, e.g. a - btw. faster "typed PHP" ("Hack" from facebook).

Kali or whatever God may save the a__ses of the panel providers when the big bang comes - and it will come, it is bound to (something like "85% of all XYZpanel installations are rootable by drive by hackers").

Thanked by 1bikegremlin
  • edited July 2019

This is the solution for all those searching:

The Best Free Website Control Panel 8th July 2019

Stop using cPanel and support CWP.

cPanel has become too expensive! cPanel has become too greedy so you should stop using them unless you have thousands of customers. Here is the replacement and the easiest to follow tutorials. I would recommend you buy CWP pro it is like $11/Yearly or $1 Monthly.

Install FREE Centos Web Panel:

http://www.servermom.org/cpanel-to-cwp-migration-tutorial/

Migrate from cPanel:

http://www.servermom.org/cpanel-to-cwp-migration-tutorial/

Recommendations:

Use 2 ip's for the nameservers.

Buy the pro version it is affordable worldwide.

Backup any configuration files before you edit them.

http://centos-webpanel.com/

Please add any Recommendations of your own.

• @websitehostingvps
    Why repost the same points here, when they're already in another thread (especially still with the dodgy mod security advice)?