Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscribe to our newsletter

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

Latest LowEndBox Offers

Shared/Reseller offers facilitated by cPanel - No longer allowed
    New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

Shared/Reseller offers facilitated by cPanel - No longer allowed

trewqtrewq Administrator, Provider

Hi everyone,

Due to the current state of uncertainty surrounding cPanel pricing and the industry as a whole (more specifically the low end segment) new offers facilitated by cPanel are no longer allowed to be posted.

This takes effect immediately and will be reviewed as time passes.

This decision was not easy to make and was made in consultation with other long standing community members.

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Top Provider
      edited June 28

Respect!

Even as someone who sells cPanel hosting I fully support this, nice way of doing it i.e. leaving the door open in case they decide to stop biting the hand that feeds them.

Nice to see LET taking some preemptive action to stop people getting burned any further when shared hosts start failing right left and center.

Seems change is coming.

• verjinverjin Member

Winter is coming my friends!

LowEndUser

• The way I understand this, correct me if I'm wrong:

"We don't think many hosts posting cPanel hosting offers here will be able to handle the situation/price change (they'll take your money and go bust still)".

I too would expect cheap shared hosting providers to be hit by this price change very hard. Hope I'm wrong.

Thanked by 2AnthonySmith level6

Mostly harmless™

I/O Gremlin

• donlidonli Member

@bikegremlin said:
      The way I understand this, correct me if I'm wrong:

"We don't think many hosts posting cPanel hosting offers here will be able to handle the situation/price change (they'll take your money and go bust still)".

I too would expect cheap shared hosting providers to be hit by this price change very hard. Hope I'm wrong.

Fix-priced/year unlimited resellers are somewhat problematic under the new pricing scheme.

https://cpanel.net/wp-content/themes/cPbase/assets/downloads/cP_Store_Licensing_Guide.pdf

• I agree.

As are many current limited reseller hosting offers. If you use all the available cPanels, license costs will be higher than the monthly hosting fee with many providers. Unless they have still some valid yearly cPanel licenses and have stopped offering year, or two-three year plans at the stated prices.

Mostly harmless™

I/O Gremlin

• HostEONSHostEONS Member, Provider

Good move, hope to see more changes

hostEONS - SSD KVM &OpenvZ VPS (FUSE, DOCKER, TUN/TAP Supported) | cPanel Web Hosting | VPS Locations: Los Angeles (Psychz and Internap), New York (Internap) | Free Blesta License | Latest Offer

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member

direct admin shit hosts in bound

phuck dis guy

• mikhomikho Member, Provider

Respect for the statement and I’d rather drop the cPanel license and stop offering it then let it bring down the whole business.

Wonder how companies like buycpanel will react to this.

Get a LES NAT VPS! (or 10) in United States (3), Germany, Bulgaria, France, Norway, Australia (2), Singapore. | -> 500gb NAT Storage

mikho said: Wonder how companies like buycpanel will react to this.

It went something like this.

Me: can you still offer yearly licenses if I pay today?
      Them: yes no problem.
      Me: even with the new pricing from cPanel?
      Them: What new pricing?
      Me: link
      Them: (5 minutes later) I will open a ticket on your account and get back to you we only just found out.

When an LET post knows an hour before the biggest license re seller they have... you know someone fucked up!

• deankdeank Member
      edited June 28

Then we had someone who said he had no problem with the new license structure and bragged (begged) people to buy his unlimited CPanel reseller plans ($2.99) from him.

If you can't make your point within 5 lines of words, you have an optimization issue.

• sanvitsanvit Member

@AnthonySmith said:

mikho said: Wonder how companies like buycpanel will react to this.

It went something like this.

Me: can you still offer yearly licenses if I pay today?
      Them: yes no problem.
      Me: even with the new pricing from cPanel?
      Them: What new pricing?
      Me: link
      Them: (5 minutes later) I will open a ticket on your account and get back to you we only just found out.

When an LET post knows an hour before the biggest license re seller they have... you know someone fucked up!

Have you got a response from buycpanel yet?

sanvit said: Have you got a response from buycpanel yet?

Hi Anthony,

As we also just learned of the pricing specifics (distributors were not given early notification), we're actively working with cPanel and discussing internally to determine all aspects of this change.

We can see that IP XXX has YYY accounts on it, so here is a breakdown of how cPanel's Pricing will be affected (before our discount is applied)

Previously: $20 for VPS

cPanel's new pricing: Over 100 users is the $45.00 tier (up to 100). $0.20 Additional

Now, there will be room for a discount off that price (we are not able to confirm what the final price would be at this time), and prices go into effect September 1st - 15th.

We intend to honor licenses paid ahead, but will only allow a single iteration of that license to be paid as we will also be billed on the account quantity and on a monthly basis, per cPanel's announcement.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can assist with.

Highest Regards
      Thank you,

Adam S
      BuycPanel Customer Experience Manager

Thanked by 1sanvit
    • LeeLee Member

Sucks for buycPanel, even they are vulnerable. They can't charge in advance for something they don't know the charges for. So I can see hosts getting a significant bill one month and just running leaving BuyCpanel with the bill which I can't imagine cPanel will let them walk away from.

It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt

• YuraYura Member
      edited June 29

@AnthonySmith said:
      Even as someone who sells cPanel hosting I fully support this, nice way of doing it i.e. leaving the door open in case they decide to stop biting the hand that feeds them.

You already stopped selling shared hosting. You don't sell cPanel hosting as you said yourself today.

Nice to see LET taking some preemptive action to stop people getting burned any further when shared hosts start failing right left and center.

10 days ago you said:

To much pansy hand holding going on and professionally offended people for this place to be anything but a shower of shit

So, any hand holding for clients is pansy except when it out right takes their right to choose a cPanel hosting because... Yes, indeed... cPanel is bad and there is a lot of whining going on.

Keeping price limits is hand holding, banning cPanel offers to prevent being burned is not hand holding? Absurd.

Is it an absolute truth that all cPanel providers are math handicapped bad business decision makers? Do all of them offer unsustainable "resellers" plans that get bite you in the ass?

Now not for Ant in particular but to @all in general

This leads to my final and most sad observation. I saw some, not all, but some providers being very tongue-in-a-cheek vocal in the past about all those clients opening negative review threads about providers suddenly raising prices. They providers, rightly pointed out that there was ZERO obligation to keep the price because no contract was written with fixing prices between the parties.

The examples are plentiful. Most vividly comes to mind the case when MailChannels put El Cheapo (and all others MC's "partners") in that situation and some LET providers wisely rubbed in that it's all his fault to depend so much on his 3rd party supplier and not having a contract with price guarantees. Today I see that only a few like @Lee are being level headed and objective about this.

It's been a long time since I observed double standards among providers and as long as echo chamber works this won't change. Do I care much? Maybe yes, maybe no. But it definitely looks unsavory. I know my message won't be taken pleasantly.

Yura said: You already stopped selling shared hosting.

I put things out of stock to 'take stock' myself.

As for the rest of your post... wat?

• LeeLee Member

Yura said: Today I see that only a few like @Lee are being level headed and objective about this.

It's not like me, amirite? :)

But in all seriousness, I have always had a fear of dependency on others on the basis that the dependency could bring me down. Now I never ever dreamt of cPanel doing what they have this week but I have always thought "what if they increased pricing significantly?".

I am sure you can find years old posts of mine on LET and WHT warning of the dangers of complacency around dependency leading to the demise of providers. And here we are, exactly what I was talking about.

It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt

• YuraYura Member

@AnthonySmith said:

Yura said: You already stopped selling shared hosting.

As for the rest of your post... wat?

Which point of mine should I try to make more clear?

@Lee said:
      I am sure you can find years old posts of mine on LET and WHT warning of the dangers of complacency around dependency leading to the demise of providers.

Yes, you were right. And providers who said that expecting monthly price to never change is foolish and near sighted were also right. It's unpleasant truth but people has to swallow it. Now when tables turned on them, and their providers did the same thing - it's the end of the world situation where only cPanel gets blame for their greed (aka profit pricing pivoting) and their clients are not taking responsibility for their own business decisions.

I've been to this rodeo many times and that's one of the reasons I like to self host as much as reasonable and use plain JS over framework of the day, etc, etc. Sometimes it's a good choice, sometimes it's not, but I sleep better at night.

I will read it again in the morning and try and find your point.

Thanked by 1Yura
    • Hey providers- remember to cancel your paypal recurring billing if you are cancelling your cpanel licences. We certainly wouldnt want to have you get eviscerated by the LET masses if you come whining about being billed after Sept 1. Also make sure to cancel with cPanel- not paying is not the same as cancelling. But of course you know all this after many customers get hit with the same logic. Can't wait for the first week in Sept. we will find out all the zombie hosts and resellers who have their accounts on autopilot.

• YuraYura Member
      edited June 29

@TinFoil2019 said:
      Hey providers- remember to cancel your paypal recurring billing if you are cancelling your cpanel licences. We certainly wouldnt want to have you get eviscerated by the LET masses if you come whining about being billed after Sept 1. Also make sure to cancel with cPanel- not paying is not the same as cancelling. But of course you know all this after many customers get hit with the same logic.

This person certainly gets what I'm talking about.

• williewillie Member

Can someone tl;dr what cpanel changed?

Is there a competitive product for hosts to switch to?

If not, is it time to develop one?

• sanvitsanvit Member

@willie said:
      Can someone tl;dr what cpanel changed?

Is there a competitive product for hosts to switch to?

Monthly/Yearly fixed -> Monthly only $45/100 cPanel accs + $0.2/additional cPanel accs

Direct Admin seems pretty good for now :)

• williewillie Member

Thanks, I found the other thread. I've never used direct admin. I've used cpanel and it has a lot of stuff that would be a bunch of work (not exactly difficult, just a large volume of features) to re-implement. Is DA missing anything significant? Is it vulnerable to the same kind of pricing change? How much money is in this industry anyway, to potentially develop a new, extortion-free panel? Maybe this is the wrong thread to discuss this. The other has 500 comments that I've skipped the middle of though.

• donlidonli Member

@willie said:
      Thanks, I found the other thread. I've never used direct admin. I've used cpanel and it has a lot of stuff that would be a bunch of work (not exactly difficult, just a large volume of features) to re-implement. Is DA missing anything significant? Is it vulnerable to the same kind of pricing change? How much money is in this industry anyway, to potentially develop a new, extortion-free panel? Maybe this is the wrong thread to discuss this. The other has 500 comments that I've skipped the middle of though.

There are several Open Source Web panels, including VestaCP, Webmin, ISPConfig, CentOS Web Panel, Virtualmin.

See: https://www.hostingadvice.com/blog/cpanel-vs-plesk-vs-webpanel/

and this LET thread:
      https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/158567/best-cpanel-alternatives/p1

• @willie said:

There is time for a new one to be developed, until the middle of august. But it depends on the features you need.

DirectAdmin is not really the best, but it remains an alternative. Last year I was contacted by someone to fix it, after it crashed because of an internal error.

• williewillie Member
      edited June 29

Is there a quick description of DA pricing and do customers get source code so they can fix/extend it? I know some LET hosts are using it. To make something new it's obviously best to start with an FOSS one.

Ah nm about DA pricing, I found it: https://www.directadmin.com/pricing.html

Does that pricing mean each host pays 200/year or 299/life and that handles unlimited machines to run it on? Or is it per machine, or what?

@Lee said:
      But in all seriousness, I have always had a fear of dependency on others on the basis that the dependency could bring me down. Now I never ever dreamt of cPanel doing what they have this week but I have always thought "what if they increased pricing significantly?".

We are all depending on someone/thing else in one way or another. ;)

I can only speak for myself and as I offer cPanel hosting as a complement to the other services, I would rather drop it like a hot potatoe then letting it bring the whole company down.

I’m still doing the math on what my expected costs would be after Sept 1st.
      To early to tell which way to go.

Get a LES NAT VPS! (or 10) in United States (3), Germany, Bulgaria, France, Norway, Australia (2), Singapore. | -> 500gb NAT Storage
    • ClouviderClouvider Member, Provider

Fully supporting this.

Clouvider Leading UK Cloud Hosting solution provider || UK Dedicated Servers Sale || Tasty KVM Slices || Latest LET Offer

Web hosting in Cloud | SSD & SAS True Cloud VPS on OnApp | Private Cloud | Dedicated Servers | Colocation | Managed Services

• I am waiting for Cloud Linux to do the same.

• LeeLee Member

mikho said: We are all depending on someone/thing else in one way or another.

Well of course, but it is the far-reaching effect on a single dependency that is the issue, not lifes dependancies in general that are the concern.

Thanked by 2switsys FrankZ

• ShazanShazan Provider

Their forum seems to work again, the discussion is located at https://forums.cpanel.net/threads/announcing-account-based-pricing.656071/

Noamweb - Managed hosting in Italy

• TinFoil2019TinFoil2019 Member
      edited June 29

All providers better read the TOS they randomly copied and are using. If you have long term deals with your resellers- you just may be stuck servicing them for the duration of your agreement with them, ie unlimited accounts is unlimited accounts and they don't care what your cost is.

Thanked by 3Daniel15 taubin switsys

@Lee said:

mikho said: We are all depending on someone/thing else in one way or another.

Well of course, but it is the far-reaching effect on a single dependency that is the issue, not lifes dependancies in general that are the concern.

Agree, that is why you don’t rely on selling just one product.

• deankdeank Member

Well, it's never a good idea to rely heavily on the most popular software.

That includes WordPress and Windows.

If you can't make your point within 5 lines of words, you have an optimization issue.

• Excellent move. Time to hit cPanel hard for their insanity.

• @deank said:
      Well, it's never a good idea to rely heavily on the most popular software.

That includes WordPress and Windows.

Time, knowledge and experience are also things to consider, apart from the price alone:

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/end-of-an-open-source-era-linux-pioneer-munich-confirms-switch-to-windows-10/

Mostly harmless™

I/O Gremlin

• LeeLee Member

mikho said: Agree, that is why you don’t rely on selling just one product.

There is that, but anyway, at this point in time, my fears have protected me. I have already done what I need to do in order to maintain BAU without any existing customer being affected and no need to drop cPanel.

Thanked by 1miniswift

I spent yesterday testing Direct Admin, it is just not the same product offering and I don't want to offer the poor alternative.

I spent today testing Cyberpanel, imo its more end user freindly than DA but it lacks a lot, so again a poor alternative.

I have tested interworks/ispconfig in the past, really not an option for me.

vestacp is not even close and not commercial grade.

So I will just be scrapping the whole reseller plans idea, putting up shared hosting prices and giving it 6 months to see how the dust settles, obviously trust fro cpanel commercially is gone, I will have to swallow some customer costs out of fairness and as such i will not be offering overly cheap shared hosting any more.

Prices updated to reflect this, I do hope they come out with an unlimited account license though, I do not mind that they put prices up, I mind that they believe it is their business to tell us how to run ours and have become ransomware.

• HarambeHarambe Member

🐴 Recommended: $20/yr 512MB KVM - Unmetered bandwidth. $5/TB Block Storage - from BuyVM (aff)

• LeeLee Member

AnthonySmith said: I spent yesterday testing Direct Admin, it is just not the same product offering and I don't want to offer the poor alternative.

I may run a new server with DA as better than cPanel resources for less cost just to see the uptake and also to have some diversity just in case cPanel pushes the limits more with further price increases. Maybe, not sure.

But I agree, side by side DA is just not as good overall as cPanel, like it or not that is fact. Perhaps though this will push them into improving it further.

Not saying DA is bad, but it's a step back for all users used to cPanel.

yep good idea.

@Harambe I know you mean that in good humor but I am still at stage 1 and to be clear my outrage is primarily because of the impacts on others, it actually has not really hurt me much at all.

Thanked by 1Harambe
    • I do not really like the idea of banning cPanel based hosting offers. No point in punishing for using cPanel at this point.

The providers are already suffering from the price hike. Preventing them from selling would only add to the death blow.

If you have a couple of servers, it's already to the point of impossible to switch to another control panel, considering the tons of unknown issues involved, on top of it, existing customers might not like the switch at all.

Not that I post offers on LET, still, I would like for LET to reconsider this.

• LeeLee Member
      edited June 29

MechanicWeb said: I do not really like the idea of banning cPanel based hosting offers. No point in punishing for using cPanel at this point.

It is the right move, it is not a ban, just a suspension to let everyone take stock. Some providers might still not realise what the impact is, in fact, it is guaranteed.

You only have to look at the offers section to see the potential impact. I mean @AnthonySmith just put out a 1 EUR annual plan for cPanel before the news broke. I know he is all over it and I would trust him along with a few others that they can deal with that.

Everyone else posting offers on here? Not so much. As soon as the first new invoices hit some of these providers they will fold like a deck of cards. That is going to affect a lot of customers, especially those that paid annually or more, they likely won't see the full length of that term whatever is left.

Not about punishing cPanel or providers. Everyone needs some space to think, not space to advertise more.

But then some probably don't even have 100 customers, so a mixed bag of effects.

• deankdeank Member

We will welcome the drama when the new invoice hit the clueless.

• coolicecoolice Member

@Lee said:

AnthonySmith said: I spent yesterday testing Direct Admin, it is just not the same product offering and I don't want to offer the poor alternative.

I may run a new server with DA as better than cPanel resources for less cost just to see the uptake and also to have some diversity just in case cPanel pushes the limits more with further price increases. Maybe, not sure.

But I agree, side by side DA is just not as good overall as cPanel, like it or not that is fact. Perhaps though this will push them into improving it further.

Not saying DA is bad, but it's a step back for all users used to cPanel.

Even some one is affected for all of it server by only $XXX per month. that ends up as $XXXX per year which is a price of one good new server or 1-2 monthly salaries (depending on where on the XXX range that gets) and my main reason to be pro-active is that we do not have any defense of them doing it again even in more severe way (per addon domain) based on the same logic that servers get better.... and the only way to mitigate this to have more than one panel on an company level (siteground are developing their own panel close than an year now) and if that work on an industry level cPanel loss market share they will be pressured to never attempt such stunt again ...

At I first think of cutting our reinvestment strategy but that is stupid for a growing company... After a talk with my business partner we decide to absorb the new costs and earn less money next year (money which cPanel will get for literally nothing) and to proceed with my second idea which is to get at least 1 new server with DA for every product line we have (get the price the same to cPanel with better price for long term commitment compared to the price of cPanel plans as price difference between panels will allow that) show first the DA plans to the potential customers if they click to choose a cPanel instead of DA a red bordered field will show up warning that states that: due to known predatory practice of cPanel to increase price of their hosing panels with up to 800% for different provider with short notice price for cPanel hosting plans can be subject to increase at any moment in the future

cPanel cannot sue my for defamation as statement is true an even spread in the press ...

OpenVz Node + KernelCare uptime - 1275 Days :)

• level6level6 Member
      edited June 29

Reseller plans should be sold for a lower monthly/yearly fee and charge per cPanel. The change in pricing, from fixed to variable should be included in cPanel plans. Shared plans should also charge for each cPanel.

That's not me.

• Lee said: Not about punishing cPanel or providers. Everyone needs some space to think, not space to advertise more.

But then some probably don't even have 100 customers, so a mixed bag of effects.

Then the response should also have mixed options. For example, a lower and upper limit for cPanel based hosting in terms of pricing. It would make more sense.

Some providers will fold all the time. Now, the smaller providers are hit by a death strike. Suspending (effectively preventing) cPanel based offers isn't helping them at all.

Really, I don't see how it adds any benefit to some segments of the cPanel based hosting industry, or as a whole, or to the clients.

• @level6 said:
      Reseller plans should be sold for a lower monthly/yearly fee and charge per cPanel. The change in pricing, from fixed to variable should be included in cPanel plans. Shared plans should also charge for each cPanel.

This is complicated to keep track of.

Think it's better to make 5, 10, 15, 25, 40... cPanel reseller packages and charge them at a fixed monthly rate accordingly. Users can then "upgrade/downgrade" their plans, always paying a fixed monthly rate for the plan.

Perhaps adding combinations with more, or less storage.

But offering "unlimited/unmetered" cPanel reseller packages makes no sense now, even when charging per cPanel - since it's complicated to keep track of IMO. Maybe some providers could correct me if I'm wrong.

Mostly harmless™

I/O Gremlin

• coolice said: to proceed with my second idea which is to get at least 1 new server with DA for every product line

That would be a bold move. I am looking for alternatives myself. At first, DA seemed to be a good option. But the lack of usability for end users kind of left me no option to consider DA. We need something that looks and feels like cPanel, or similar. DA is all about links. Clients are not going to like it.

• level6level6 Member

Why should anyone trust DA going forward? Might as well stay with cPanel. If DA does improve, what would stop them from raising prices? With so few decent commercial offerings (Plesk #2, but also Oakley) there's low price elacticity.

Thanked by 2bikegremlin mk1

That's not me.