Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New cPanel Licensing and Pricing Structure - thoughts? - Page 7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New cPanel Licensing and Pricing Structure - thoughts?

Comments

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited June 2019

Ouch.. I feel for all providers affected ;(

@ZotiMediaGroup Sure you are fine? Wouldn't enjoy seeing you go down but don't you offer Master and even Alpha Reseller hosting? Doesn't this somewhat totally screw up your budget? Just concerned.

Wish you all the best of luck!

• I run a small managed provider and we're looking at a cost increase of ~30%, minus a little bit since we have to jump through some "certification" hoops to access the solo licensing options. From the other responses in this thread it sounds like we got off lightly.

We use cPanel because many of our customers are familiar with it, but we're an agile enough business (read: small enough) that increases like this can inform our offerings in the future. I've always viewed the product as a necessary evil, so maybe this is the kick we need to look at alternatives.

Product development feels pretty stagnant, particularly when you frame it in terms of their failure to keep pace with changes in the web industry as a whole. There's layer upon layer of ecosystems they've not kept up with, from frontend (node etc) to backend (docker and the rest)- hell, they dont even support nginx properly yet. In that light I'm not sure how they can justify this increase.

• @Lee said:

ZotiMediaGroup said: Will recommend providers to keep calm the first month as there will be a price decrease.
    I think we will get unlimited licenses at 100% price increase and both sides will be happy.

You do realise they just introduced per-user billing? There is no way they will then cap that at $90 with an unlimited licence. Sure they may offer a 'high density' licence in time but it will be tagetted at 1k+ users and be priced no less than $150 per month.

@Lee said:

ZotiMediaGroup said: Will recommend providers to keep calm the first month as there will be a price decrease.
    I think we will get unlimited licenses at 100% price increase and both sides will be happy.

You do realise they just introduced per-user billing? There is no way they will then cap that at $90 with an unlimited licence. Sure they may offer a 'high density' licence in time but it will be tagetted at 1k+ users and be priced no less than $150 per month.

There must be something. A > @Ympker said:

@ZotiMediaGroup Sure you are fine? Wouldn't enjoy seeing you go down but don't you offer Master and even Alpha Reseller hosting? Doesn't this somewhat totally screw up your budget? Just concerned.

Nope, all good here ;)

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@ZotiMediaGroup said:

@Lee said:

@Lee said:

Nope, all good here ;)

Glad to see you are alright. Although I have now (almost?!) cancelled/let expire all of my services with you (do not needing them anymore) it has been a good ride and I wouldn't like to see you go away in case I need to come back one day hehe^^

• LeeLee Veteran

Bottom line is that the majority of budget providers are fucked if they have lots of users.
    All master/alpha resellers best cut and run.

The reality though is that for providers that have less than 100 users, your costs just went up about $15 a month. Unless you are running cPanel on a VPS licence then it's $30ish.

So, there are many hosts who will be largely unaffected by all this.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • LeeLee Veteran

ZotiMediaGroup said: There must be something.

I did ask on their Discord channel.

10:18 PM] Lee: Is it likely cPanel will offer some form of unlimited licence, for a fixed cost?
    [10:18 PM] bennyVasquez: At this point it that is not something we're considering.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2019

ZotiMediaGroup said: Nope, all good here

I feel like you are missing something here.

I only need to buy that and create 15 accounts and this plan will cost you more than $2.99 p/month

Why do you think "your all good here" ? hell if someone wants to attack you they could buy 20 of those and create 5000 accounts on each one and cPanel will bill you $20,000 p/month for licensing for accounts that you charge $59.80 for...

genuine question..

Thanked by 2Lee dedotatedwam
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Everything that CPanel says, is basically yea, we underestimated the shit we just started.

Either that, or they pull the usual marketing bullshit yea yea we cover you.
    No matter what of these, lying to the costumers is bad practice the same is pulling a 800%+ price increase for costumers off.

• emghemgh Member

Ask them so stop be shady and start accepting invites.

@emgh said:
    Ask them so stop be shady and start accepting invites.

I hope the PR department had their vacation already.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • @Ympker said:

@ZotiMediaGroup said:

@Lee said:

@Lee said:

Nope, all good here ;)

Glad to see you are alright. Although I have now (almost?!) cancelled/let expire all of my services with you (do not needing them anymore) it has been a good ride and I wouldn't like to see you go away in case I need to come back one day hehe^^

You are welcome to rejoin, we will keep rock the thing :)

Thanked by 1Ympker

Neoon said: Everything that CPanel says, is basically yea, we underestimated the shit we just started.

Frankly I don't give a shit what they say any more, there is nothing they could do to repair the damage done short of publicly sacking someone for allowing it to happen, but decisions like this are never made by 'staff' to begin with.

I am even considering switching to virtualizor tbh and I fucking hate virtualizor.

Thanked by 2Ympker SunshineHost

The damage that has been done, the trust that has been lost.
    They gonna fire people after that if its a troll, surely.

• @AnthonySmith said:

ZotiMediaGroup said: Nope, all good here

I feel like you are missing something here.

I only need to buy that and create 15 accounts and this plan will cost you more than $2.99 p/month

Why do you think "your all good here" ? hell if someone wants to attack you they could buy 20 of those and create 5000 accounts on each one and cPanel will bill you $20,000 p/month for licensing for accounts that you charge $59.80 for...

genuine question..

You are welcome to give us a try, you wont regret it :).

Its not a big deal for us, we have many sources where we fill the gap. +$200 + $300 per server isent a big deal.

• LeeLee Veteran

AnthonySmith said: Why do you think "your all good here" ? hell if someone wants to attack you they could buy 20 of those and create 5000 accounts on each one and cPanel will bill you $20,000 p/month for licensing for accounts that you charge $59.80 for...

This was metioned on a Skype group about an hour ago. It could become the new DDoS, sign up a day before month end, fire up a thousand accounts and fuck you!

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@AnthonySmith said:

Neoon said: Everything that CPanel says, is basically yea, we underestimated the shit we just started.

Frankly I don't give a shit what they say any more, there is nothing they could do to repair the damage done short of publicly sacking someone for allowing it to happen, but decisions like this are never made by 'staff' to begin with.

I am even considering switching to virtualizor tbh and I fucking hate virtualizor.

I thought you had already switched after the last solus rant haha :D Well would understand if you did^^

ZotiMediaGroup said: You are welcome to give us a try, you wont regret it .

Its not a big deal for us, we have many sources where we fill the gap. +$200 + $300 per server isent a big deal.

what about $20,000 per month per server, happy to swallow that for a customer paying you $60 per month?

If you say you are either taking the piss or a prize idiot.

Ympker said: I thought you had already switched after the last solus rant haha Well would understand if you did^^

I switched serversnv and realized it was a mistake, better the devil you know, but now... hmm, I dont know.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited June 2019

FWIW there is a script from the admin of DA:

Importing cPanel Backups in Direct Admin

Lee said: This was metioned on a Skype group about an hour ago. It could become the new DDoS, sign up a day before month end, fire up a thousand accounts and fuck you!

I mean, there is an API, it could be done in seconds and repeatedly, kill your competition off for about $500 as that could translate in to a $1,000,000 license bill no problem while actually having zero server impact performance wise, just idle nothing accounts with nothing on them.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • Look at it as opportunity to cut those abusive resellers with 100's of accounts and tons of domains. Your cost increase is 1.20 to 2.40 per an account per year. This reminds me of the WHMCS pricing dust up. The whining will subside, good providers will figure out whether to increase density on current hardware or if an investment in new hardware will cut costs in long run due to increased user density per the group of licenses they need to buy across all vendors. Some may decide 5-6 regular accounts are better than one uncapped reseller and begin to prune/increase prices of reseller accounts.

Basically the resellers will be squeezed until they have volume and get their own licenses. But everyone was bitching about alpharacks and woot hosting and all the summer hosts- this should clean up the industry and wipe out all the zombie hosts with 50 poorly managed clients or 100's of 1/yr clients.

Finally, if you sold 1 to 3 year plans to customers, but didn't have contracts with your vendors- you failed business 101 and now you eat the loss

• Hello everyone, its time to start offering CWP hosting. a lot of exciting features have been added into the control panel. The cost is predictable and we have great support.
    https://control-webpanel.com
    For those offering reseller hosting, we have that feature to be released in the week.
    CWP also has a migrator tool from cpanel.
    https://control-webpanel.com

Thanked by 1websitehostingvps
  • deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited June 2019

Famous last words.

Nope, all good here.

Meanwhile, nothing is more pathetic than a shameless self ad with double links right next to each other.

Thanked by 2Lee dedotatedwam
  • @nitramoneito you need a provider tag

• @AnthonySmith said:

ZotiMediaGroup said: You are welcome to give us a try, you wont regret it .

what about $20,000 per month per server, happy to swallow that for a customer paying you $60 per month?

If you say you are either taking the piss or a prize idiot.

Anthony, you never was a fan of our business model :)

To get a bill of $20k the server must have 100k accounts on it, this is not the case (will never be) .

I think we will discuss in this topic many years till you get a fan of alphas :)

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited June 2019

@Lee said:
    @MikePT is fairly getting his money's worth on the cPanel discord channel. I don't think he has come up for air in the last couple of hours.

I'm recommending all my customers to move to DA. Currently testing it as I haven't tested the new UI, need to see how the migrations will be as well. This is crazy and guys, damn Plesk, you won't have much choice, Interworx or DA, I'd rather stick to DA.

Thanked by 1WebProject
  • @ZotiMediaGroup customer pays you $25 and puts 250 accounts on his reseller. You now are providing him a service for free because your cost is 25.

edited June 2019

ZotiMediaGroup said: Anthony, you never was a fan of our business model

To get a bill of $20k the server must have 100k accounts on it, this is not the case (will never be) .

I think we will discuss in this topic many years till you get a fan of alphas

cPanel are going to charge $0.20 per account.

I said I will buy 20 of your $2.99 accounts, that will cost me $59.80 per month.

I said i will load every account up with 5000 accounts as you allow unlimited.

20 * 5000 = 100,000

cPanel are going to charge you $0.20 per month for each account.

That is $20,000 per MONTH.

I don't need to actually have anything n the accounts, they will take up a few MB each, you wont even notice.

I can time that and automate it, it would take me less than an hour of work and $60 to destroy your profit margins and likely entire business over night.

I am telling you that this can be used as an attack vector, you can keep your head in the sand though.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Someone's pretty desperate for clients.