Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New cPanel Licensing and Pricing Structure - thoughts? - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New cPanel Licensing and Pricing Structure - thoughts?

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll

I want my own dedicated IP for, you know ehm, SEO purposes.

Thanked by 2MichaelCee lazyt
  • hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

@AnthonySmith said:
    For what its worth to anyone, cough @jar cough you can currently NAT as many WHM/cPanel servers as you want behind a single IP, it gets a little tricky if you want to do it at scale but not that hard, you just need haproxy on the front end redirecting based on domain.

They may sue you for this ..

• Will recommend providers to keep calm the first month as there will be a price decrease.
    I think we will get unlimited licenses at 100% price increase and both sides will be happy.

If they increase the price directly at 100% am sure non of us will like it. But if they produce unlimited licenses after this discussion am sure everyone will be happy with the 100% price increase, do you?

Its a good move.

• LeeLee Veteran

AnthonySmith said: I know this works because 1 person bought a cPanel license for the lowendspirit NAT KVM's when that was a thing and suddenly everyone had licensed cPanel on the node for about 6 months until the person paying for it cancelled.

But, will it work tomorrow or whenever they start this new way of billing?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

hostdare said: They may sue you for this ..

I reported it to them, I still have the ticket number, they could not have cared less if they tried.

• cPanel = cashpanel

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@ZotiMediaGroup said:
    Will recommend providers to keep calm the first month as there will be a price decrease.
    I think we will get unlimited licenses at 100% price increase and both sides will be happy.

If they increase the price directly at 100% am sure non of us will like it. But if they produce unlimited licenses after this discussion am sure everyone will be happy with the 100% price increase, do you?

Its a good move.

Or Plesk will follow them into the pit. Remember, Plesk, cPanel, WHMCS, and SolusVM are all part of the same family. Who wants to take a bet with me on SolusVM2 going similar?

Yes, DirectAdmin is available and you better believe I already emailed Mark about what's happening to see what changes I can expect.

• FoulFoul Member

Francisco said: Yes, DirectAdmin is available and you better believe I already emailed Mark about what's happening to see what changes I can expect.

Hopefully it stays the same.

I'll join you on the bet.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

I agree though. DA's forum makes it look more dead than it is.. a shame :S

It will probably stay the same for the time being at least.

If mass migration does happen, something will change.

Thanked by 2Ympker lazyt
  • bikegremlinbikegremlin Member
    edited June 2019

A highly reputable hosting provider from my country uses VestaCP.
    My understanding is the company owner is one of the VestaCP developers (and has a reputation of being extremely hard working and professional perfectionist).

My thinking was: VestaCP is not familiar, most customers are used to cPanel, but if you are involved in making it and know how to make it work properly, it makes perfect sense to use it. In the light of this new cPanel pricing, the VestaCP option looks like a very wise one - thinking one step ahead.

What will the cPanel hosts do now? Clients are used to cPanel and will probably be asking for it, expecting it. Prices will probably go up, with the extra profit going straight to cPanel. Who have relatively recently merged with JetBackup for one.

So all normal and to be expected. Why make a brand and have a huge market share if you don't intend to earn more - why bother? This is a logical step from cPanel, suppose it will work good for them. Maybe, the product quality will improve - we'll see... wouldn't bet on it though.

Change of pricing was done suddenly, so most people will not be prepared to make a change. Just start paying the new prices. Will they just "get used to it", then keep paying them, suck it up? We'll see. cPanel, LiteSpeed and WHMCS have become very popular.

I have been considering nginx caching and VestaCP for some time now, but never really made the effort to give them a try. I think I should first get a VPS, let it idle for at least a year, before doing anything with it - it seems to be the norm. :)

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited June 2019

ZotiMediaGroup said: Will recommend providers to keep calm the first month as there will be a price decrease.

You do realise they just introduced per-user billing? There is no way they will then cap that at $90 with an unlimited licence. Sure they may offer a 'high density' licence in time but it will be tagetted at 1k+ users and be priced no less than $150 per month.

• @ChrisMiller said:
    There are about to be alot of Deadpool’d hosting providers.

Agreed. Drama here we come. I can't wait.

This jerk is happy as long as I get to cite, "The end is nigh."

Thanked by 2hostdare vimalware
  • LeeLee Veteran

bikegremlin said: My thinking was: VestaCP is not familiar, most customers are used to cPanel, but if you are involved in making it and know how to make it work properly, it makes perfect sense to use it. In the light of this new cPanel pricing, the VestaCP option looks like a very wise one - thinking one step ahead.

For consumers who you expect to pay for a service, VestaCP is not an option. For personal use, sure.

Already forgot VestaCP fiasco? The dev's reaction was so slow.

You can't have that in commercial environment.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited June 2019

@mikho just in case you missed this.

Thanked by 1mikho
  • LeeLee Veteran

@MikePT is fairly getting his money's worth on the cPanel discord channel. I don't think he has come up for air in the last couple of hours.

Thanked by 1MikePT

@MikeET needs no air. He breaths dark matter from space.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited June 2019

Here goes... ;(

Also..yay. Includes suspended accounts it seems..

In before threads with titles of something akin to "My host didn't even suspend me and outright terminated me. WHYYYYYYYY. MY FILES!!!!"

Thanked by 2Ympker ITLabs
  • pathetic

• AnthonySmith said: bye bye cPanel, it was good while it lasted.

It was never good.
    But i digest.

We are all dreaming. And this is a friggin' nightmare.

• emghemgh Member

I think they will stop counting in suspended accounts though.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@emgh said:
    I think they will stop counting in suspended accounts though.

I also thought Rob Stark would make for a wonderful father..

Thanked by 2Falzo MasonR
  • LeeLee Veteran

Ympker said: I also thought Rob Stark would make for a wonderful father..

I saw what you did there.

Thanked by 2Ympker Falzo
  • @deank said:
    Already forgot VestaCP fiasco? The dev's reaction was so slow.

You can't have that in commercial environment.

How long ago was that?

Anyway, with current pricing and market share, cPanel might be in a position to buy out any competition worth using.

Wasn't that long ago. Probably last Dec.

• emghemgh Member

@deank said:
    Wasn't that long ago. Probably last Dec.

I was alive so it couln't have been too long.