Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New cPanel Licensing and Pricing Structure - thoughts? - Page 31
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New cPanel Licensing and Pricing Structure - thoughts?

Comments

• donlidonli Member

@vimalware said:
    $3/yr sounds like reasonable markup , after accounting for payment processors' 'cut' for the $2.4/yr price bump

Sure. The $ 23.58/yr markup one provider is adding for the non-reseller shared hosting account I have there isn't.

• AmitzAmitz Member

In the meantime: The big wheel keeps on turning. On a simple line. Day by day.

Thanked by 2xaoc Falzo
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@deank said:
    People always love unsustainable deals, don't they?

DA had to get rid of the old lifetime license. If you have to question why, I am sorry for you.

Agreed!

Thanked by 1Hxxx
  • bulabula Member

DA has had these lifetime license pricing for past 15yrs, when you consider the economics, its not sustainable to maintain updates and security patches free forever. Even cPanel got rid of their lifetime license while back and maintain an yearly update plan. In contrast, at least DA grandfathers all previously purchased licenses with lifetime update at no cost and still allows older user account holders to continue purchase licenses at their discounted price till Sept. 1. Only difference now is their revised Lifetime license offers an update plan of $99/yr which I believe is reasonable.

• geoyoggeoyog Member

@Jorbox said:
    Open Source panels is our only hope!

Agree too, but still prefer a cloud based option, to relinquish my servers from that extra payload from server-hosted control panels. More freedom & flexibility going remote especially when having to manage a large # of domains and servers - that I can also choose to host at any hosting provider.

Tried runcloud, but much prefer ClusterCS.

• @geoyog can you tell me more about ClusterCS?

• Time for all of you cheapskates to stop manipulating the industry with $5 USD per year plans. I couldn't be happier this is happening.

Thanked by 1AndreiGhesi
  • LeeLee Veteran

I am beginning to think @CVPS_Chris had something to do with the cPanel price increase to draw attention away from his last thread on LET and the promises he made about LEB.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

The plot thickens.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

@Lee said:
    I am beginning to think @CVPS_Chris had something to do with the cPanel price increase to draw attention away from his last thread on LET and the promises he made about LEB.

The cPanel price increase has most certainly been a successful distraction. :smiley:

Thanked by 2Lee vedran
  • ITLabsITLabs Member

@Lee said:

change has come

• donlidonli Member

@Lee said:

He's been occupied elsewhere apparently:

@CVPS_Chris said:

Hi everyone, sorry that I went silent there, I had surgery on June 20th and had some issues that kept me out most of last week.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • bulabula Member

@Kris said:
    As someonewho skinned cPanel from ugly to what eventually became x theme, I'm taking my time 1+ decade later to skin something for DA that I'll release to all, likely based on the Evolution theme I saw in another thread. Big thanks to DirectAdmin for the license, and big finger to cPanel & team

Thank You Kris, The "X" theme was one of my most favorite of all the These cPanel provided. So looking forward for an "X" like Theme for DA.

Thanked by 1Kris

We shall have feedback from @Kris really soon. Anxious to see what he comes up with!!!

• intovpsintovps Member, Host Rep

@lonea said:
    Wait what?

Why are they putting internet security at risk, when YOU have the option to renew the renew the support at $99/year.

YOU have the option to update your server.

YOU just don't want to pay...

Do YOU like working for free?

Jorbox said: cPanel and DirectAdmin both companies puts internet security under risk just to make more money from people.

Open Source panels is our only hope!

Yeah, gime everythin' for nothin'!

• bulabula Member

It appears cPanel is working on an announcement within next couple of hours.

• LeeLee Veteran

bula said: It appears cPanel is working on an announcement within next couple of hours.

Don't hold your breath, Benny says "hopefully within the next few hours", that could mean days :)

• bulabula Member

Don't hold your breath, Benny says "hopefully within the next few hours", that could mean days :)

Indeed, Have been happily moved on with DA many years ago. Although still have multiple lifetime cpanel license.

Thanked by 1intovps
  • KrisKris Member

MikePT said: We shall have feedback from @Kris really soon. Anxious to see what he comes up with!!!

Just got a server setup.

Woke up this morning early at 5 AM only to be bombarded with an issue with a client that ate well into 10AM when I started work.

Will be working on things this weekend. Also the Evolution theme creator @matadorov kindly reached out to me to assist if I need help with his source as a starting point (as it is a great theme)

I've much to learn, but cPanel has lost me officially and I'll be putting hours in as soon s I figure this out to re-skin to something we're all familiar of - even if I have to throw in dev $$$ to it.

cPanel screwed up big this time, and I'm done.

• donlidonli Member

@bula said:

Thanked by 2imok teochristian
  • KrisKris Member

bula said: Thank You Kris, The "X" theme was one of my most favorite of all the These cPanel provided. So looking forward for an "X" like Theme for DA.

Thanks, it wasn't even that much of a big deal at the time.

I took their existing theme, added a header, took out the bundle of shite that was unnecessary, cleaned up the grids, added stats to the side column, some extra breathing room for icons, and 1 month later HostDime had their own custom x theme.

Soon after it became the defacto x theme with my clean switch header swapped out with a green switch.

Apparently editing DA skins isn't as straight forward as editing HTML, so going to work on getting a source possibly of Evolution to customize, as to not re-invent the wheel on what's already a great skin.

Thanked by 3bula eva2000 MHS_Marc
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

donli said: @CVPS_Chris said:

Hi everyone, sorry that I went silent there, I had surgery on June 20th and had some issues that kept me out most of last week.

Welcoming the change @CVPS_Christine #iwasbornthisway

Thanked by 4Lee Amitz mpkossen jackb
  • LeeLee Veteran

AnthonySmith said: Welcoming the change @CVPS_Christine #iwasbornthisway

You put it better than I was intending too but decided best to keep working and ignore the urge :)

Thanked by 1Amitz

@Kris said:

bula said: Thank You Kris, The "X" theme was one of my most favorite of all the These cPanel provided. So looking forward for an "X" like Theme for DA.

Thanks, it wasn't even that much of a big deal at the time.

I took their existing theme, added a header, took out the bundle of shite that was unnecessary, cleaned up the grids, added stats to the side column, some extra breathing room for icons, and 1 month later HostDime had their own custom x theme.

Soon after it became the defacto x theme with my clean switch header swapped out with a green switch.

Apparently editing DA skins isn't as straight forward as editing HTML, so going to work on getting a source possibly of Evolution to customize, as to not re-invent the wheel on what's already a great skin.

Oh man, totally. I've checked the theme files as well and it's a bit confusing.. The translations seem really easy, just copy the .txt's and place those in the translated language folder, although, there's only three html files in there, I don't get it. app.html seems to do everything? But then it gets confusing.

I do some major UI changes / integrations for WHMCS, much more simple than this one IMO, at least I know the structure, haha!! Still confused on how to edit the evolution theme.

If you'd like to PM me so we can try to develop it together, feel free to. I can have Sara design the svgs if needed.

• btw some just posted how he changed icons theme to feels like cPanel , I think that is sell-able to the end customer

https://prnt.sc/oa5ope

Thanked by 2level6 MikePT

@coolice said:
    btw some just posted how he changed icons theme to feels like cPanel , I think that is sell-able to the end customer

https://prnt.sc/oa5ope

The evolution template is nice. @Kris will come up with something better tho 😁

• donlidonli Member
    edited July 2019

@bula said:

The announcement has apparently been delayed til Friday:

bennyVasquez (Manager of Community Engagement at cPanel)
    We’re hoping to go Friday.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited July 2019

Lee said: You put it better than I was intending too but decided best to keep working and ignore the urge

Haha! Same here... :wink: I already typed something about a successful penis size reduction and deleted everything again. However, surgeries are no fun and as much as I dislike Chris, I still wish him the best in that matter.

cPanel Announcement (anticipated):

Good news! We heard your critisism! We therefore bring the old lifetime license back, with no restrictions on user accounts. One time payment, unlimited support, USD 500,000.00 each license for partners, USD 750,000.00 for normal clients. Ain't that great?

And the crowd is like:

and like

Thanked by 4Lee MikePT mpkossen Falzo
  • So, which companies offer Shared Hosting using Direct Admin right now? Haven't seen a whole lot of movement yet these past few days and I'd be happy to give DA a try.

• donlidonli Member
    edited July 2019

@mpkossen said:
    So, which companies offer Shared Hosting using Direct Admin right now? Haven't seen a whole lot of movement yet these past few days and I'd be happy to give DA a try.

Get a free hosting account at servedez.com, they're using Direct Admin.

That towel guy is also apparently running some nodes with Direct Admin now.