Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New cPanel Licensing and Pricing Structure - thoughts? - Page 29
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New cPanel Licensing and Pricing Structure - thoughts?

Comments

• YmpkerYmpker Member

No updates for lifetime is smth that always makes me cringe. I totally understand if you don’t wanna offer lifetime licenses or just in a limited quantity. But updates should be included. At least security patches imho. Otherwhise no lifetime product will remain “viable” in the long run. I’ve got Blesta Lifetime with Support&Updates included.

DA should perhaps rename their "Lifetime" license into "Owned" (like Blesta) does, to avoid confusion.

Thanked by 2Jorbox AlwaysSkint
  • LeeLee Veteran

BlaZe said: So anyone came out with their own cPanel rival panel yet only to abandon it after couple of months?

Stage 1 is in progress throughout several threads on LET. Abandonment arriving at the next stop soon.

Thanked by 2BlaZe NickA
  • JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

From what I read it as you get a lifetime updates.
    Only 365 days of support - if you want support you pay the yearly fee.

• donlidonli Member
    edited July 2019

@experttechit said:
    From what I read it as you get a lifetime updates.
    Only 365 days of support - if you want support you pay the yearly fee.

No, that's why it specifically says:

$ 99/year for support&updates extension.

and

365 days of technical support/updates.

They also wrote:

Sorry, our traditional lifetime licenses are no longer available. This applies to datacenter (internal) licenses as well.

The only exception is our $299 lifetime license. It is still being offered with a "never expire" promise, support/updates for 1 year, and you can (optionally) add another year at any time for $99.

• JorboxJorbox Member

Direct> @Ympker said:

No updates for lifetime is smth that always makes me cringe. I totally understand if you don’t wanna offer lifetime licenses or just in a limited quantity. But updates should be included. At least security patches imho. Otherwhise no lifetime product will remain “viable” in the long run. I’ve got Blesta Lifetime with Support&Updates included.

DA should perhaps rename their "Lifetime" license into "Owned" (like Blesta) does, to avoid confusion.

Thanks. That's exactly what I wanted to say and at least blesta is open source I have edited it myself without the need to install the official upgrades

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Customers who had lifetime license before can order new lifetime licenses till 1st of September, these license have unlimited software updates.

New customers can have only the lifetime license with 365 days of support and software update but still have lifetime use of software without the need of extra costs.

On the DA forum it self there where some confusion about this

• loydloyd Member
    edited July 2019

I am not in the hosting biz, so just learned about this now because my provider sent me an email they are going to restrict my reseller account, which is fine with me, since I only bought large reseller package for resources, I only need handful cPanel accounts to separate my projects.

My take is that cPanel just released portion of its market share, they are not interested in serving, for grabs. I am sure many software teams have their own panels, perhaps half finished or narrowly targeted, so clean it up, wrap it up and throw it out there because whoever can fill this abandoned market share in next month will be next low-end cPanel.

I am just curious, why so abrupt?

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited July 2019

@deank

Now that the demand is there; they need to care.
    Sucks, I know but also know this. Free panels won't react fast to zero day vulnerabilities. It requires paid staffs to make that happen.

I can see where you are coming from but to be fair I'd say one can argue that this doesn't necessarily apply to all free hosts. Take a look at ISPConfig and Keyhelp for example. Both are free and open source panels, however developed by companies that use them in production. In case of ISPConfig that's https://timmehosting.de/ and in case of Keyhelp that's https://www.keyweb.de/
    . This is why I believe even zero day vulnerabilities to be fixed quickly. Both panels profit from the fact that the companies that founded them rely on them heavily.

• KrisKris Member

As someonewho skinned cPanel from ugly to what eventually became x theme, I'm taking my time 1+ decade later to skin something for DA that I'll release to all, likely based on the Evolution theme I saw in another thread. Big thanks to DirectAdmin for the license, and big finger to cPanel & team

• lazytlazyt Member

My favorite cpanel theme was x.

Thanked by 1Kris
  • I tremendously dislike any software provider who makes people pay princely sums for security updates. Feature updates, yes, people should pay, but security updates? DA is being retarded with the 99/year for updates. Imagine if Boeing says that its Max line aircraft software needs several millions to update so that it does not crash (literally). I hope whoever is in charge of the business side of DA realises that security updates is the baseline of any lifetime license and that you compel people to pay to update for features and performance.

Thanked by 2vimalware uptime
  • If you guys want to give feedback, I found a link that goes directly to them regarding the pricing structure. Please do let them know how much this hurts everyone in the entire hosting ladder.

https://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/5093593/Pricing-Structure-Feedback

• lonealonea Member, Host Rep

Security update and new features go hand in hand together.

Not to mention it cost money to dev, test, security updates. Do you like working for free?

poisson said: I tremendously dislike any software provider who makes people pay princely sums for security updates. Feature updates, yes, people should pay, but security updates? DA is being retarded with the 99/year for updates. Imagine if Boeing says that its Max line aircraft software needs several millions to update so that it does not crash (literally). I hope whoever is in charge of the business side of DA realises that security updates is the baseline of any lifetime license and that you compel people to pay to update for features and performance.

Thanked by 1lukehebb
  • JorboxJorbox Member

cPanel and DirectAdmin both companies puts internet security under risk just to make more money from people.

Open Source panels is our only hope!

Thanked by 1websitehostingvps
  • JorboxJorbox Member

@lonea said:

Not to mention it cost money to dev, test, security updates. Do you like working for free?

They will work for the 299$ that they have got before and they will continue to sell for other people forever also not everyone interested in the lifetime licence.

There are completely free panels and we didn't hear that from them !

• akhfaakhfa Member
    edited July 2019

@lonea said:

poisson said: I tremendously dislike any software provider who makes people pay princely sums for security updates. Feature updates, yes, people should pay, but security updates? DA is being retarded with the 99/year for updates. Imagine if Boeing says that its Max line aircraft software needs several millions to update so that it does not crash (literally). I hope whoever is in charge of the business side of DA realises that security updates is the baseline of any lifetime license and that you compel people to pay to update for features and performance.

Agree. It is very difficult to maintain different software version in software industry. Let's take example you have lifetime license for software version 5. In 13 months, the software already reach version 8. Do you expect the dev to look back to the code 13 month earlier to fix security issue? Even in 1 month, they can get major different in their code.

Let's see from another perspective. You just need to pay less than $10/month for your unlimited user, you don't need to worry about any security issue, and they give you additional features as a bonus.

If you still feel that $10/month is too much (maybe you just use the software for yourself?), just choose opensource panel. You can "secure" the server yourself when you use it alone, such as only allow panel port from specific IP, so you don't need to worry about security fix that usually depend on less dedicated developer resource than paid panel. But of course this doesn't apply to all opensource project.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Jorbox said:

@lonea said:

They will work for the 299$ that they have got before and they will continue to sell for other people forever also not everyone interested in the lifetime licence.

There are completely free panels and we didn't hear that from them !

It just doesn’t scale..

Thanked by 2iKeyZ level6
  • HxxxHxxx Member

@Jorbox I respectfully disagree brother. Try to maintain a team of 2 two 10 devs full time, with reasonable USA Developers salary and benefits. Also you have to be competitive in the field as an employer to be able to keep the best developers. It would be completely impossible for any company, I mean not even Microsoft do it unlimited, to maintain a program / software /solution completely up to date and to continue to enhance it if you keep selling life time licenses at 299 (thats like 4 hours of just one DEV).

People like you is what makes this hosting market full of dumb fucks.

Take a pill bruther, chillax . Open Source sucks when it comes to control panels enterprise grade.

• yokowasisyokowasis Member
    edited July 2019

I still don't get it, about DA. They said the stopped Lifetime License, but the lifetime license $299 still exists ?

Also is $299 license have all the features ? e.g Reseller ? or only for 1 account ?

@yokowasis said:
    I still don't get it, about DA. They said the stopped Lifetime License, but the lifetime license $299 still exists ?

Also is $299 license have all the features ? e.g Reseller ? or only for 1 account ?

My understanding is that the old “lifetime licenses” have been grandfathered, and the new “lifetime licenses” will have feature updates coming in for so long as you pay the annual fee for the updates, which is very much inline with the standard practises these days and makes it sustainable.

Further to that, I’m sure DA won’t leave you hanging dry if a security vulnerability is discovered and you chose not to pay for updates, their decency positively differentiates them from anyone else on the market.

Thanked by 2Shazan vimalware
  • @Clouvider said:

@yokowasis said:

My understanding is that the old “lifetime licenses” have been grandfathered, and the new “lifetime licenses” will have feature updates coming in for so long as you pay the annual fee for the updates, which is very much inline with the standard practises these days and makes it sustainable.

Further to that, I’m sure DA won’t leave you hanging dry if a security vulnerability is discovered and you chose not to pay for updates, their decency positively differentiates them from anyone else on the market.

also, they said they will give about 60 days for existing user, to do what exactly ?

• @yokowasis said:

@Clouvider said:

@yokowasis said:

also, they said they will give about 60 days for existing user, to do what exactly ?

to order lifetime license with old features

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@Hxxx said:
    @Jorbox I respectfully disagree brother. Try to maintain a team of 2 two 10 devs full time, with reasonable USA Developers salary and benefits.

Before going to be rude to other LET user, you need to know that:
    1) they are based in Canada, nothing to do with US wages.
    2) I personally haven’t seen nowadays anyone who is not outsource cheap as chips developers, so the issues with security are exists due to that fact. How you classify that their developers are the best? if no was bothered about their control panel till cPanel announced increased of prices.
    3) no one priced their control panel here, so it’s entirely their fault to be so retarded and priced lifetime license at $299 which clearly describes now that it’s not lifetime anymore!

• bikegremlinbikegremlin Member
    edited July 2019

@WebProject said:

@Hxxx said:
    @Jorbox I respectfully disagree brother. Try to maintain a team of 2 two 10 devs full time, with reasonable USA Developers salary and benefits.

2) I personally haven’t seen nowadays anyone who is not outsource cheap as chips developers, so the issues with security are exists due to that fact. How you classify that their developers are the best? if no was bothered about their control panel till cPanel announced increased of prices.
    3) no one priced their control panel here, so it’s entirely their fault to be so retarded and priced lifetime license at $299 which clearly describes now that it’s not lifetime anymore!

The lifetime license means this:
    "We need some capital and want to attract new customers - who are willing to bet on that our product will keep going and become/remain good.
    From then on, all the lifetime licenses are practically a 'loss / burden ' - but hopefully we'll manage it".

Now, they will be getting a huge influx of customers. It would make absolutely no sense to keep selling those. It's not a long-term sustainable business model.

I think price-rise protection they currently offer is also not the best long term move now, though it is not certain to fail, like lifetime licenses are.

So expecting the price-rise protection to stay "on" for the time being, but would be surprised if it remains in force forever. It will provide enough confidence with many new customers (after what cPanel just did), but after getting a huge influx of customers, probably large market shares, improving a product - it makes little sense to keep the pricing as low.

Thanked by 1Hxxx
  • People comparing DirectAdmin's moves with cPanel's...

DirectAdmin will not change prices/features for existing lifetime licenses and give you 60 days to still buy the old package.

• JorboxJorbox Member

@WebProject said:

@Hxxx said:

That's exactly what I meant..
    Removing the support and make it 99$/year and locking the license in accounts were suspicious moves.

I think I will stuck with cPanel until I find a real competitor..

Final words

• coolicecoolice Member
    edited July 2019

At webhostingtalk Igor Seletsky wrote that:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1770316&page=24&p=10155279#post10155279

Here is my 5c and many people will not like it (and I am sure many have realized that already). This is coming someone who did CP for 8 years (H-Sphere -- 1998-2006). Also, just in case -- I am in no way advocating cPanel's move, and I expect CloudLinux to suffer (a bit) due to extra work supporting other control panels & some attrition due to unsupported panels.

1. Another advise -- don't buy lifetime licenses - they are a death sentence for a control panel. It works at first, but in a long run a vendor has to support & maintain software for large number of servers that pay nothing. So, vendor will have to either close down, start charging extra for support or for upgrades. We faced it at H-Sphere, and went with annual upgrade fees. If you don't want to get stuck on unsupported version or with no support -- just insist on recurring billing for control panel.

That is written before DA changed to the new Lifetime so seems that they listened to concerns of the big names....

I think it is stupid not to listen to an advice to someone that been in our industry for so long, made such great things for it, and earn a lot of money from it ...

P.S. if you use direct admin non commercially or inside of an organization you can firewall it after the first year, I think it is mentioned that panel do not work as root and components update of the OS will work as their compiling is based on bash scripts which are not encoded

P.S.S Also for commercial use, new lifetime comes with 365 days support, instead of just 90, which mean you can go to their ticket system choose that licenses and submit ticket to them instead of relay on forum support after 90 days to lifetime

Jorbox said: Removing the support and make it 99$/year and locking the license in accounts were suspicious moves.

they are GRANDFATHERING the existing licenses. What is wrong with you. You have now issue that they are charging a sustainable annual price for new Customers? Dude, I'm sorry you missed out on the owned license under old rules, I really do. Others were quicker than you, just accept it and make your peace with it.

• There’s a big difference between DAs move and cPanel - DA realised their lifetime license offer will become unsustainable so have prevented new orders and replaced it, clients who already have that license see no increase. DA have essentially prevented themselves from having to make massive price increases like cPanel have done. cPanel have made price increases and not honoured current prices to customers, their new pricing is based on pure greed. I can see that cPanel might think their prices were unsustainable and a price increase was inevitable, but not to that extent.

DA have been realistic and fair, CP have been greedy.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@Kris said:
    As someonewho skinned cPanel from ugly to what eventually became x theme, I'm taking my time 1+ decade later to skin something for DA that I'll release to all, likely based on the Evolution theme I saw in another thread. Big thanks to DirectAdmin for the license, and big finger to cPanel & team

Please keep me posted Kris, we'll definitely use it in our DirectAdmin servers!!! :D