Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there a de facto standard Backup Script with a Web interface ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is there a de facto standard Backup Script with a Web interface ?

raza19raza19 Veteran
edited October 2013 in General

I have been using rsync & its other command line derivatives for quite some time now. But with the rising number of vps I have to maintain, it has just become a pain to check if all rsync/cron/backups are working.

I have googled it for several days but I cant still tell which one is the best.

Please let me know if there is such a tool because I like to think there must be with so much development going on for linux.

Anything with a good and robust web interface that relies on rsync or any other mechanism for communication is what I am looking for.

Any additional features would be awesome but "robustness" is what I am after.

Thank you.

Comments

• smansman Member
    edited November 2013

If you install logwatch and have root messages forwarding to email you will get a daily email from each server showing a summary from the logs. You can add cron/rsync jobs to that summary if they don't already show up. That's how I keep an eye on things from day to day. Has saved me a few times.

• @sman said:
    If you install logwatch and have root messages forwarding to email you will get a daily email from each server showing a summary from the logs.

Well thanks but I am surprised there is no simple ready made tool which uses rsync or any other mechanism that I can install on multiple client vps & use another vps for backup server.

Isn't there a program which does this ? Client installations & then a server installation where the backup is actually stored manageable through a web interface....

• ... the monstrosity that is Bacula. ;)

Thanked by 1raza19
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I just attach a mail command to the cron script to e-mail me when the rsync is done. Probably not the most fool proof method but I mean how often does an rsync really fail anyway :P

• Part of the problem is that there is no one true way to backup a server. If you have a physical server (or Xen/KVM), you might want to take an LVM snapshot. Within cPanel, they have their own backup functionality you may want to utilize. To server admins self-administrating, they may use database dumps, rsync scripts, and a variety of custom commands to backup what is needed. There isn't a de facto backup script because there isn't a de facto server setup.

• DroidzoneDroidzone Member
    edited November 2013

@jarland said:
    I just attach a mail command to the cron script to e-mail me when the rsync is done. Probably not the most fool proof method but I mean how often does an rsync really fail anyway :P

I use something similiar. I wrote a custom script which dumps all databases, and then compresses folders from a preset list, then optionally rsyncs them to one or more remote servers, keeps a log of the commands executed, then mails a summary as the body, and a full description with time elapsed, to a preset mail address(es).

The only thing I edit is the text file which has the list of directories to be backed up. Command line parameters take care of the rest.

But..no GUI yet.

• @jarland said:

well when you have 8 vps with a 6 hour backup schedule, it becomes tedious to look for emails that did not make it in the clutter & frankly absence of an email is not a nice way to be alerted at all.

@Adduc said:
    There isn't a de facto backup script because there isn't a de facto server setup.

Well if we leave the virtualization layer, by now we should have at least come to a standard for simple file/db backups & restoration.

@joelgm said:
    But..no GUI yet.

A gui on top of what you have done with some simple db at the back to add or delete commands & voila something great; saving humanity thousands of hours, lesser time spent in trying to come up with commands/putting them in cron, lesser fuel needed for elec generation, lesser pollution !

• DroidzoneDroidzone Member
    edited November 2013

@raza19 said:
    A gui on top of what you have done with some simple db at the back to add or delete commands & voila something great; saving humanity thousands of hours, lesser time spent in trying to come up with commands/putting them in cron, lesser fuel needed for elec generation, lesser pollution !

Running from bash/cron:

/root/masterbackup --full --push --list=/root/dirs.list

cat /root/dirs.list:
    /etc;
    /var/www/virtual/domain1;
    /var/www/virtual/domain2;

cat /root/syncopts:
    TARGET_SERVER=1.2.4.1;
    TARGET_USER=root;

Why would I want to mess with php, sql, css and the rest of the headache, when there is a much simpler way to do it? The target audience is a server administrator, not *nix virgins.

• jhjh Member

The best is probably R1soft/Idera. It's not free though.

• @joelgm said:

Well thanks :) but in the lines of something more refined with alerts, catches, backup/restore, compression, versioning maybe , .... excellent gui, etc . Most importantly all features requiring only a click to do everything.

What I would want is a realllll backup server software with client nodes & not rsync working independently as separate components..

• Take a look at BackupPC: http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/

BackupPC runs on top of a bunch of the default linux file transfer protocols (and you can choose the most suitable for you and your scenario): rsync, ftp, scp, etc. This has a very good web interface and you don't need to install any new softwares on the machines (only on the storage one).

The configuration is pretty simple and the software very lightweight. The only big drawback is that the web interface is a CGI Script that only runs on Apache :/

If this isn't a problem for you, BackupPC is the best solution out there @raza19

P.S.: You will be surprised with the big quantity of options and possibilities that BackupPC can offer to you. And I need to say that I'm suprised that this software isn't more known.

Thanked by 1raza19
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited November 2013

Install a desktop OS on a machine and work with an rsync GUI? This is still mostly a DIY forum for people who want light, fast, and effective. I feel like you may not get the answer you want here. If you have so much stuff that you can't read emails or notice one missing, maybe you're outside of budget stuff and you need enterprise grade solutions. I'm not mocking you or anything, it's great if you've outgrown the little stuff, but it's going to come at a cost of time, money, and/or hardware.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Backula4hosts works quite well

Thanked by 1raza19
  • @jarland said:
    but it's going to come at a cost of time, money, and/or hardware.

Nah not really, bacula & backuppc seem really nice.