Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does WHMCS/HostBill support unbilled balances?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Does WHMCS/HostBill support unbilled balances?

jhjh Member
edited June 2019 in General

Does anyone know if either WHMCS or HostBill allow you to input amounts that clients owe and then periodically bill everything they owe?

E.g. client has a subscription for £xxx/month and during the month they agree to pay £yyy for additional stuff. £xxx is already in the system because it's a subscription and the person that spoke to the client when they agreed £yyy puts it in the system. At the end of the month, we go in, can see clients that owe anything and bill this guy £xxx+yyy.

If not WHMCS or HostBill does anyone know a system that does this, supports a range of payment gateways and sends reminders?

Comments

• I'm not really sure if I understand this correctly but whmcs has option to add product addons or you can just create billable items.

https://i.imgur.com/A7IlFlq.png

You can then use prorata or manually set billing to end of month and same with billable item.

• alentoalento Member, Host Rep

I am a customer of a popular VPS/Shared Hosting provider here. They use WHMCS and YES, it does exactly this. Well close ...

Your description was a bit difficult to follow so I will lay out what happens, and you can decide if that is what you mean or not.

So I have a VPS that I am paying $5 a month for recurring. I decide on June 25 to purchase another VPS. Now this provider does their invoicing on the 20th of each month so we are already past when the invoice (due on Jul 1) was sent. What will happen is that I will be invoiced (and expected to pay $6 at the time of ordering. This is for the period of June 25-July 31 for the new VPS only. On July 20, I will then get an invoice for $10 for the two VPS's for August's service.

It is my understanding that there are a few different choices for handling how this scenario should be processed with WHMCS.

So rereading what you wrote - you want to manually bill for the new service? Why not just collect at the time it is ordered?

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@alento said:
    I am a customer of a popular VPS/Shared Hosting provider here. They use WHMCS and YES, it does exactly this. Well close ...

Your description was a bit difficult to follow so I will lay out what happens, and you can decide if that is what you mean or not.

So I have a VPS that I am paying $5 a month for recurring. I decide on June 25 to purchase another VPS. Now this provider does their invoicing on the 20th of each month so we are already past when the invoice (due on Jul 1) was sent. What will happen is that I will be invoiced (and expected to pay $6 at the time of ordering. This is for the period of June 25-July 31 for the new VPS only. On July 20, I will then get an invoice for $10 for the two VPS's for August's service.

It is my understanding that there are a few different choices for handling how this scenario should be processed with WHMCS.

So rereading what you wrote - you want to manually bill for the new service? Why not just collect at the time it is ordered?

You are talking about the prorate billing.

@jh wants to add one time fees for work done.

If I understand the question correct, one could say that the customer pays for webhosting with a subscription each month.

One month there is an agreement to do some template work on the website.
    The price is decided and will be added to the invoice created for the subscription.

• alentoalento Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2019

mikho said: You are talking about the prorate billing.

@jh wants to add one time fees for work done.

>

Ahh, with your insight, I can see now and it looks like you are right. I mentioned that I was finding the question a bit hard to follow. :)

It looks like @jetchirag has the solution above already.

• Yea, seems like changing due date to end of month or by using add to next invoice will do the work if non recurring and if recurring - already has an option.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Us, both of them do. Feel free to reach out to me if you need any guidance :-).

• jhjh Member
    edited June 2019

mikho said: If I understand the question correct, one could say that the customer pays for webhosting with a subscription each month.

One month there is an agreement to do some template work on the website.

The price is decided and will be added to the invoice created for the subscription.

Yes that's right.

jetchirag said: using add to next invoice

That's what I was looking for. Thanks!

Now just have to decide on WHMCS or HostBill

Clouvider said: Us, both of them do. Feel free to reach out to me if you need any guidance :-).

Thanks. Is the billable item functionality roughly the same on both systems or would you say one is better? Guessing from the docs this is what HostBill calls "queue invoices"?

Also since you obviously know both systems, which would you say has the better helpdesk?

Can HostBill be run without the client knowing it exists (i.e. they receive emails from it but no links to it or mentions of it?

• LeviLevi Member

jh said: Can HostBill be run without the client knowing it exists (i.e. they receive emails from it but no links to it or mentions of it?

Hostbill can be adapted to your needs. Everything depends on how much thousands of EUR you have. Basically they take 99 EUR + VAT for 1 hour of custom coding. DO NOT consider Hostbill if you don't have extra cash to spare.

• jhjh Member

Thanks everyone for the help. I've got the information I need now. As it happens, I found an owned licence for WHMCS lying around since 2007 so I'm trying that first (nice surprises eh!)

I also found this plugin that seems to improve on the billable item/with next invoice functionality:
    https://marketplace.whmcs.com/product/342

• malekmalek Member, Host Rep

Yes, it's called credits.