Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recommended And Reliable Providers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Recommended And Reliable Providers

Hello everyone!

I was thinking of making a website containing the reliable and trustworthy providers from LET and LEB.

I was looking for it to contain a small review of the service and a benchmark for people to see, as there is a lot of new providers around on LET that show really good promise like @HostSlick and @jordynegen11 I wanted to compile a list of providers that is simple to see and shows a bench of the VPS.

I wanted it to be a community effort and I am very happy to pay for the hosting of the site and the domain renewals. I am very happy to bench any of the servers I have idling and add them to the list along with a review.

I was wondering if anyone would like to help me make this happen, As simple as providing a bench of your server or even providing a small written review of a provider would be a awesome help as I don't have a wallet the size of the earth to buy and review every good provider on here.

I was wanting to base it on WordPress and provide a account to Trusted members for them to add content and so on. This is in no way a replacement for LET I just want it to be easy for people to find great trusted providers for there projects that they would have possibly never have found before.

At the moment this is just a thought but if people would like to help me do this it would be great. Please leave any feedback on my idea below and feel free to P.M me if you would like to help on this.

Thanks everyone!

Comments

• WolfWolf Member

Have fun.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

If you decide to pursue this, I imagine that a wiki-based site would be a better fit than a WordPress site. That way you can have community moderators that can approve/decline proposed edits and page additions. Good luck!

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

I can contribute the benchmarks/reviews I've done.

• @MasonR said:
    If you decide to pursue this, I imagine that a wiki-based site would be a better fit than a WordPress site. That way you can have community moderators that can approve/decline proposed edits and page additions. Good luck!

Yeah I was thinking WordPress because of the comments system. I could also base it on vanilla like LET or a find a different alternative. Thanks for your comment!

• I think it is a great idea. I thinking of getting a site together with some reviews of my servers along with benchmarks (bench, nench, CPU flags, FIO read/write tests) with people able to upload their own benchmark/reviews to the site as well.

• @LeonDynamic said:
    I think it is a great idea. I thinking of getting a site together with some reviews of my servers along with benchmarks (bench, nench, CPU flags, FIO read/write tests) with people able to upload their own benchmark/reviews to the site as well.

Thanks for your reply. I will keep you in mind for contributing benchmarks.

• Will be looking at this, thanks

• dahartigandahartigan Member
    edited June 2019

A good place to start is the recent provider poll results, the top 20 would be a very safe bet imo.

@MasonR said:

I'm thinking along the same lines - a wiki would work better and keep the benchmarks fresh.

• @st3wy89 Thanks for your reply hopefully I will get it setup and running soon.

Does anyone have any ideas what software I should use for the website? My first idea was to use WordPress with some sort of community plugin to allow comments and submissions. I took a look at vanilla where I could setup a category for reviews and so on, I didn't want to start a forum to say but I am open to any ideas.

P.S @dahartigan Yeah I looked over the list yesterday and I have used most of them 😂.

• @dahartigan said:
    A good place to start is the recent provider poll results, the top 20 would be a very safe bet imo.

@MasonR said:

I'm thinking along the same lines - a wiki would work better and keep the benchmarks fresh.

Any ideas what I could use to accomplish this?

• @TheRealDeal said:

@dahartigan said:

@MasonR said:

Any ideas what I could use to accomplish this?

Start here: https://github.com/Kickball/awesome-selfhosted/blob/master/README.md#wikis

Find a wiki setup you like and run with it :)