Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

how to efficiently reinstall a physical server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

how to efficiently reinstall a physical server?

I have some phyiscal servers(os: centos6) for network quality testing purpose, any intent customer could apply one.
After testing finished, I have to reinstall the server for the next around.

for now, I utilize cobbler to reinstall os and manually configure it, but I didn't like this proceed. Is there any way to efficiently reinstall server?

Comments

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

Use a looking glass instead of providing a server for testing.

Thanked by 2softxnews FHR
  • sanvitsanvit Member

Why not install some kind of hypervisor (proxmox, solusvm, virtualizer, etc.) and make it a hybrid dedi?

• ITLabsITLabs Member
    edited June 2019

Consider using docker to automate your testing process, on top of virtualization suggested by @sanvit.

• uptimeuptime Member

I would use a regular expression

• hyperexperthyperexpert Member, Host Rep

Use LXD. You can script it so every time a test is complete to delete and spin up a new one fully configured.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Emulab can automatically restore an OS image onto a physical server, among other networking features. I don't know how it works, but it proves automated OS installation and configuration is possible.

• rubenruben Member, Host Rep

You could take a full image backup with eg. Veeam and restore it over USB or PXE.

• SpryServers_TabSpryServers_Tab Member, Host Rep

Use PXE. There are about 100 different tools out there for automating pxe