Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When free is not free, or how LEB host is no longer
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

When free is not free, or how LEB host is no longer

Recent threads talking of unsustainable offers, highlight a recent one that I had.
Out of nowhere, GBServers pulled a recurring cPanel free promotion - no warning, nada, ziltch.
The hilarious bit is when the invoice has
"cPanel VPS License free promo £10" (plus VAT)

https://imgur.com/9AC2XwY
https://imgur.com/N5Fl7o1
https://imgur.com/3K5Tk8j

The Xen-PV was pretty crap but the VPS served its' purpose as a mostly idling backup and I would've kept it.

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited June 2019

"Changes are coming."

Someone said that, I think.

• C'est la fin! :-p

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

Have a link or know where the original offer was posted? Curious to see if it says anything about it being limited for a certain period of time (i.e. 1 or 2 years).

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited June 2019

@MasonR said:
    Have a link or know where the original offer was posted? Curious to see if it says anything about it being limited for a certain period of time (i.e. 1 or 2 years).

I hunted around, as these days I grab a screenshot but it must've been before I was bitten by other hosters. As per the screenshots above, it was advertised in LEB, around 12/12/2017, probably near the start of Dec.

It was OK while it lasted. I wanted to switch primary IPs on it (I purchased an additional one) and that may have triggered the "Mein Gott, why is this so cheap?" moment. ;-)

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@AlwaysSkint said:

@MasonR said:

I hunted around, as these days I grab a screenshot but it must've been before I was bitten by other hosters. As per the screenshots above, it was advertised in LEB, around 12/12/2017, probably near the start of Dec.

It was OK while it lasted. I wanted to switch primary IPs on it (I purchased an additional one) and that may have triggered the "Mein Gott, why is this so cheap?" moment. ;-)

Was it this one? https://lowendbox.com/blog/gbservers-6-00-mo-xen-w-windows-1gb-ram-60gb-hd-800gb-bw-in-maidenhead-uk/

Free cPanel license available while stocks last

No expiration date noted.

• Prime404Prime404 Member
    edited June 2019

Oh jolly good, they even offer Slackware 14.2.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

I can't fault it.

I mean, cPanel is $12.00/month for most people.

If you have a mountain of licenses, or you have some super legacy NOC account, you can maybe get to $8 - $9/m, but I think cPanel is starting to re price everyone into the $12.00/month bracket when contracts renew.

Francisco

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Ah, gosh, Slackware... brings back memories.

• If the cpanel license was legit they probably were losing money on that deal...

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@AlwaysSkint said:

The Xen-PV was pretty crap but the VPS served its' purpose as a mostly idling backup and I would've kept it.

It’s not the Xen-PV virtualisation pretty crap it’s just oversold nodes or running without any RAIDs (feels like it), as almost 10 years ago we used to have their top range VPS for one project and within several hours we terminated our contract with them as VPS with unusable speed is not for us.

No such thing as free paid version of control panel as either customers or company paying for it.

• Ah, those sweet memories ... :smile:

@deank said:
    Ah, gosh, Slackware... brings back memories.

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited June 2019

Was definitely a loss leader from them, I know that. The manner in which the free promo was rescinded is the main issue, followed by supposed recurrence of it.

Xen-PV totally ignores swap configuration (vm.swappiness) on the VM and when they finally changed it at node level, it only lasted for about a week. The consequence of over-committed swap was much more disc activity resulting in high Load.

(Must dig out my three/five CD pack of Slackware, from circa 90's - kept it for posterity, or something.)

Thanked by 1skorous