Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High speed (2gbps+) VPS with good route/connection to/from Israel
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

High speed (2gbps+) VPS with good route/connection to/from Israel

Hi All,

I am looking for a vps to use as a MPTCP router endpoint.
I currently have 2 internet connections at home:
ISP: Partner
IP Range: 176.230.0.0/15
Down/Up: 1gbps/100mbps

ISP: Cellcom
IP Range: 46.116.0.0/16
Down/Up: 1gbps/100mbps

Both of them have a pop points at DE-CIX Frankfurt and Linx London (I suspect it is LON1).

In terms of bandwidth I am interested in quotes for < 5TB and <10TB monthly data.
Currently I do not have a budget set in mind, please propose what you think is a good fit.

I have tested servers located inside IL, the ones I could rent did not reach > 1gbps bandwidth throughput which is why I am searching for an external option.

When making an offer/suggestion I would appreciate if you could attach a 1GB speed test file so I can test speeds on both connections.

Thanks,

Comments

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited June 2019

You do understand that with 2 connections you will never reach more than 1Gbit per connection right? Additionally, if this is like any other ISP it is 'up to' those numbers, no residential ISP anywhere guarantees speed that is advertised. Lastly, finding something with low enough latency and quality routes to Israel is going to be tricky, I would bet that international peering at your ISP isn't guaranteed to be anywhere close to 1 Gbit as most ISPs only even 'guarantee' a base speed to local, in country networks, if at all.

So, the real question is, what throughput have you been able to successfully accomplish so far? There is a very good likelihood that regardless the provider you choose, your providers poor international routing will limit your throughput anyways.

Also just because they 'peer' to DE-CIX doesn't mean that your route towards or from the destination will always take the peered path or be able to accomplish full speed of your link. These peerings are still shared among all customers so you are still competing for your slot and if the peering is heavily used, this could mean really low throughput, even if latency is decent.

Just don't get carried away here thinking your going to find some single magic host (especially on the low end side) that is going to be able to provide any type of guarantee on throughput, 1 Gbit, let alone 2 Gbit to your location. Even if you find one that works today, there is no telling when route changes would occur and things would degrade as networks are not static, but dynamic and routes are always changing. You would do best to find several hosts that work well to accomplish reasonable speeds to your location and switch between them when routing changes.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Thanked by 3uptime dgc1980 menashe
  • @TheLinuxBug,

I'll start (and end) with thanking you for all of your comments :)
    I'll try to address them in an organized matter:
    1. I do understand that the maximum I can reach is 1Gbit/connection, which is why I am trying to use the MPTCP protocol to bridge them together. I (can only) hope to reach somewhere along the lines of 1.5Gbit+ by doing so.
    2. As you said, this is a residential ISP, speeds are not guaranteed, and are usually measured inside the country, reaching those speeds outside of the local ISP network is never consistent.
    3. Latency wise, this will not be used to play games, so if I get higher than usual latency it should be ok.
    4. Speed tests I've done had varied results, depending on where I tested there was one ISP giving me ~800mbps and the second one ~500mbps. The tests were done at the evening which is 'rush hour' traffic wise.
    5. About the peering - I understand what you are saying and I did not take that into consideration, I was trying to provide as much info as possible based on my tests.

I tested one provider via a download file, the results were amazing (~800mbps+ on both connections) and consistent over time. They had servers located @ DE-CIX Frankfurt.
    The issue was that once I ordered a VPS from that provider and setup a simple http to test the download, speeds were no where near the ones I've seen using their download links.
    Just to make sure I have done nothing wrong, I opened a support ticket asking them if I am doing something wrong and if they could give me the specs of the machine used to host those files to eliminate the resource factor (although I used a mid-tier and not the low-tier VPS) and they refused to divulge any information saying it will have security implications. I tried rephrasing the question several times but I kept getting the same response until I gave up.

I've done some extensive testings for the past month or so, and although I do wish for a miracle I know they rarely (if at all) ever happen.

Thanks again for all the tips :)

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited June 2019

menashe said: The issue was that once I ordered a VPS from that provider and setup a simple http to test the download, speeds were no where near the ones I've seen using their download links.

Yeah, this kinda goes along with what I was saying above, the problems is that routing isn't a static thing and can even vary inside the same network. One thing to consider is smaller providers will sometimes use their upstream or datacenters looking glass. While you may be placed on a similar blend, they could easily have a multi-tier network and while their looking glass is on their 'premium bandwidth' blend, the blend the host is actually using is on a lower tier, so routes are different on the product than you get on the looking glass.

That isn't to say that it is not possible that the routing also changed between the time of your test and the time you got the server, to something less performant, either.

What you need to do is adjust your expectations a little bit though, I think. I would look for something where you can at least accomplish maybe 1Gbit, 500Mbit per link reliably and then be happy when you get extra on days where you have better routes.

Additionally, you may want to look for hosts who provide 10Gbit to the node instead of 1Gbit, which you will mostly not find here on LET. Hosts with 10Gbit to the node generally tend to charge a bit more (not always, but most of the time). A couple providers that come to mind that peer DE-CIX and may be options for you to test are UltraVPS (German based company but they have both DE and NL networks), Tilaa (Netherlands based but premium fair-share bandwidth mix (5TB is considered fair share), fastpipes.io (Also Germany based 10Gbit with peering). These are the providers that pop into mind that may be useful for you to test.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Thanked by 1UltraVPS