Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a VM on a intel core I9 9900k
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a VM on a intel core I9 9900k

Hey guys

I'm looking since few months for a VM on a host with a core I9

I've searched everywhere on internet ... And found nothing...

Any idea?

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited June 2019

Of course you haven't found anything.

Give it 2 years and it will appear on low end market.

Thanked by 1angelius
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2019

Well OVH will bring i9 sometime relatively soon so I'm sure there will be a couple people doing that, even though it would be super low margin with the tiny drive configs. I will have Ryzen 3900X in Dallas next month when it releases, if that interests you.

• williewillie Member

I think the 9900k attraction is likely to be super high clocks rather than instruction set, amirite? The Ryzen 3900x will be interesting but not quite as fast. If you just want to try the Zen architecture, there are Epyc VPS available on Scaleway right now, though that is Zen 1 at fairly low clock speed.

Thanked by 1angelius
  • A google search of "9900k VPS" yields this site: https://appletec.ru/en/services/vds-5ghz/

Starts at $20/mo for 1 (dedicated ?) core, 2GB RAM, 60GB SSD in RUS/GER.

Thanked by 1angelius
  • @CyberneticTitan said:
    A google search of "9900k VPS" yields this site: https://appletec.ru/en/services/vds-5ghz/

Starts at $20/mo for 1 (dedicated ?) core, 2GB RAM, 60GB SSD in RUS/GER.

Pretty expensive for a non dedicated core (it's not)

But thanks !!!

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran

MikeA said: I will have Ryzen 3900X in Dallas next month when it releases, if that interests you.

Will be interesting to see how Ryzen 3900X stacks up against i9 9900K still though :)

Thanked by 1vimalware
    edited June 2019

@eva2000 said:

MikeA said: I will have Ryzen 3900X in Dallas next month when it releases, if that interests you.

Will be interesting to see how Ryzen 3900X stacks up against i9 9900K still though :)

I would wait for the 3950X but it's too far away and I'm out of stock currently.. Sorry for not running your benchmark originally lol, I didn't have time. Maybe I will this time around since it's an even better setup.

Thanked by 1eva2000
  • I9 have 8 cores
    It cost 64€/month with hetzner
    64 / 8 = 8€/core/month
    If we add 1 ip per core that's 9€/month

My perfect budget would be 10€
    What if we group and split it in 8?
    Some of you could be interested?

• williewillie Member

10€ for an 8gb i9 vm with a dedicated cpu core (2 hyperthreads) is pretty good, but really, what's the use case that calls for just 1 core of an i9? It's maybe 1.5x the speed of an older 3.6ghz core, as found in a 22€ quad core auction server. So I'd just get the auction server and spin up some cloud instances if I had to compute beyond its capabilities now and then.

Thanked by 2Aluminat angelius
  • @willie said:
    10€ for an 8gb i9 vm with a dedicated cpu core (2 hyperthreads) is pretty good, but really, what's the use case that calls for just 1 core of an i9? It's maybe 1.5x the speed of an older 3.6ghz core, as found in a 22€ quad core auction server. So I'd just get the auction server and spin up some cloud instances if I had to compute beyond its capabilities now and then.

For me the use case is Redis, so single thread ... That's why I was searching for the fastest clock.

But yes indeed, presented like that the auction server is quite compelling

edited June 2019

@angelius said:
    For me the use case is Redis, so single thread

The i9-9900K really isn't much faster for single thread performance than the others like i7-7700K, i7-8700K, etc. Especially overclocked ones.

• williewillie Member

angelius said: >For me the use case is Redis, so single thread .

Overclocking then is a terrible idea, as is running without ECC. And worrying about the single thread speed is pointless if the client isn't in the same box or at least on the LAN.

Also, there are faster alternatives to redis, e.g. https://github.com/fastio/pedis which uses parallel threads.

Thanked by 3MikeA uptime ITLabs
  • Hello,

We can offer you a VPS with a i9-9900k CPU. What kind of specs do you want?

• Hey Jordynegen11
    2 vcores (non dedicated) with 8gb of ram + 200gb hdd would be perfect
    If you have different offers with less or more resources please let me know the price so I can decide :)
    I can prepay for 12 months