Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need yearly KVM/OVZ7 for AdGuard Home in U.S. West
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need yearly KVM/OVZ7 for AdGuard Home in U.S. West

Hi everyone

I need an yearly VPS with 256M+ of RAM (512+ preferred) and an IPv4 for AdGuard Home DNS server in U.S. West or somewhere that has good latency to South Korea. Any recommendations/offers welcome. Thanks!

Comments

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited June 2019

hello @sanvit

best bet for low cost quality may be @freerangecloud in Fremont ($15 yearly) or IonSwitch in Seattle ($17.50 yearly) if either of those locations do well for connection to South Korea.

Lots of stuff in LA - can't think of much in the way of current deals for 512 MB but might take a close look at CrownCloud (they are good quality and may be willing/able to do a 1 GB KVM in Quadranet DC for $25 per year)

Next up if you can work a slicelet in Las Vegas, that would be $20 per year. InceptionHosting in Phoenix might still have a 512 MB / 100 GB storage offer for €13 per year (which possibly could work okay for your use).

For more possibilities, here's a recent-ish post on some providers I know about offering service in western US https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2971365/#Comment_2971365

tl;dr:

LA: CrownCloud, HostHatch, LetBox, UltraVPS.eu, VirMach (maybe also check @HostEONS, they seem okay. Also, SmartHost offers LA location.)

Fremont: freerangecloud, bandwagonhost

San Jose: VirMach

Seattle: ionswitch, spartanhost, subnetlabs

Phoenix: InceptionHosting (also Wishosting, and recently HostDoc)

Las Vegas: BuyVM (also AnyNode and SmartHost)

EDIT2:

A couple more options in Los Angeles - cloudcone and vmhaus both offer hourly billed KVM in Los Angeles, so you might be able to test how they work for you without spending too much to find out.

• If you're not particular on the port and are happy with NAT, why not take a look at @mikho's MrVM out of Singapore? I assume that latency would be better than the US-West.

Price and BW wise, I'm pretty sure US-West will be better overall (esp. for non-NAT based setups). Asia isn't exactly LEB pricing.

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • sanvitsanvit Member

@uptime said:
    hello @sanvit

best bet for low cost quality may be @freerangecloud in Fremont ($15 yearly) or IonSwitch in Seattle ($17.50 yearly) if either of those locations do well for connection to South Korea.

Lots of stuff in LA - can't think of much in the way of current deals for 512 MB but might take a close look at CrownCloud (they are good quality and may be willing/able to do a 1 GB KVM in Quadranet DC for $25 per year)

Next up if you can work a slicelet in Las Vegas, that would be $20 per year. InceptionHosting in Phoenix might still have a 512 MB / 100 GB storage offer for €13 per year (which possibly could work okay for your use).

For more possibilities, here's a recent-ish post on some providers I know about offering service in western US https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2971365/#Comment_2971365

tl;dr:

LA: CrownCloud, HostHatch, LetBox, UltraVPS.eu, VirMach (maybe also check @HostEONS, they seem okay. Also, SmartHost offers LA location.)

Fremont: freerangecloud, bandwagonhost

San Jose: VirMach

Seattle: ionswitch, spartanhost, subnetlabs

Phoenix: InceptionHosting (also Wishosting, and recently HostDoc)

Las Vegas: BuyVM (also AnyNode and SmartHost)

EDIT2:

A couple more options in Los Angeles - cloudcone and vmhaus both offer hourly billed KVM in Los Angeles, so you might be able to test how they work for you without spending too much to find out.

I've contacted AnyNode to see if we can make out a deal. Thanks :)

@nullnothere said:
    If you're not particular on the port and are happy with NAT, why not take a look at @mikho's MrVM out of Singapore? I assume that latency would be better than the US-West.

Price and BW wise, I'm pretty sure US-West will be better overall (esp. for non-NAT based setups). Asia isn't exactly LEB pricing.

I do love @mikho's LES, but since I'm going to use as a DNS server, port 53 is mandatory. Thanks for the recommendation though :)

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @sanvit said: I do love @mikho's LES, but since I'm going to use as a DNS server, port 53 is mandatory.

Depending on how you have things setup, usually you can have an internal (within the home/LAN) DNS forwarder (like dnsmasq) which listens on port 53 from clients, but forwards requests to another server on a different port. Also, if you have dnsmasq locally, you can probably easily setup a few blacklists directly as well. Of course depending on your setup, I understand the port 53 issue.

Good luck though - I'm sure there are lots of good options if you consider US-West.

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • HostEONSHostEONS Member, Patron Provider

@sanvit said:
    Hi everyone

I need an yearly VPS with 256M+ of RAM (512+ preferred) and an IPv4 for AdGuard Home DNS server in U.S. West or somewhere that has good latency to South Korea. Any recommendations/offers welcome. Thanks!

We provide VPS in LA and NY, you may check our latest offers at https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/158046/kvm-vps-with-free-direct-admin-control-panel-la-ny-openvz-7-100-mbps-ummetered-raid-10-ssd#latest

• sanvitsanvit Member

@HostEONS said:

@sanvit said:
    Hi everyone

We provide VPS in LA and NY, you may check our latest offers at https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/158046/kvm-vps-with-free-direct-admin-control-panel-la-ny-openvz-7-100-mbps-ummetered-raid-10-ssd#latest

Can you re-enable OVZ50OFF promo code please?

• HostEONSHostEONS Member, Patron Provider

@sanvit said:

@HostEONS said:

@sanvit said:
    Hi everyone

Can you re-enable OVZ50OFF promo code please?

Hi
    Sorry right now it's not possible as we are very low on stock for OVZ

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • @sanvit

DNS-over-TLS use 853 port.
    I recommend read this: https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdGuardHome/issues/769

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • sanvitsanvit Member
    edited June 2019

@dragon1993 said:
    @sanvit

DNS-over-TLS use 853 port.
    I recommend read this: https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdGuardHome/issues/769

That doesn't change the fact that I need a dedicated IP. And since I'll set it up on my router, I need port 53

Edit : Gave that issue a quick read. I never thought that people will target open DNS servers, but it does make sense :(

• @sanvit said:

Edit : Gave that issue a quick read. I never thought that people will target open DNS servers, but it does make sense :(

people/bot will scanning the entire internet. everything is target.

you can limit the dns for your ISP ASN/IPRange. if you got static IP, you only need to whitelist that ip

Thanked by 2sanvit vimalware
  • vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited June 2019

I believe you can install Pihole on a cheap NAT vps with OpenVPN installed, and have Pihole installer bind to tun0 only. (I haven't tested this config myself since I have only one NAT vps)

Both your traffic and DNS requests would go through it.
    (this is not a big issue for me since most of my internet surfing transits Singapore , so that's where I have my Openvpn+Pihole )

@sanvit said:

Yep. This is a big no-no. Bind to a private interface or openvpn's tun0

Thanked by 2sanvit saibal
  • sanvitsanvit Member

@vimalware said:
    I believe you can install Pihole on a cheap NAT vps with OpenVPN installed, and have Pihole installer bind to tun0 only. (I haven't tested this config myself since I have only one NAT vps)

Both your traffic and DNS requests would go through it.
    (this is not a big issue for me since most of my internet surfing transits Singapore , so that's where I have my Openvpn+Pihole )

@sanvit said:

Yep. This is a big no-no. Bind to a private interface or openvpn's tun0

Thanks for the tip! It looks like I should go with @sibaper's way, since creating an openvpn will add up an additional 200ms of latency and I have to manually setup all devices to use it.

Thanks everyone :)

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @sanvit

Alternative solution: Buy a raspberry pi and use on lan.

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • sanvitsanvit Member
    edited June 2019

@dragon1993 said:
    @sanvit

I was thinking of that too, but I can't seem to find a place to put it, plus my router's lan port is full :(

• @sanvit said:

@dragon1993 said:
    @sanvit

I was thinking of that too, but I can't seem to find a place to put it, plus my router's lan port is full :(

try your darkest corner in the basement

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • @sanvit said:

@dragon1993 said:
    @sanvit

Sir, gigabit switches are cheap as a mofo. Get anything that costs $15-$30, and boom - you got at least 4 extra ports to play with :-)

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • omelasomelas Member

Even pihole on pi connected by wifi will be have less delay then server across Pacific

Thanked by 2sanvit vimalware