Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking For: High-Storage UK-Based Server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking For: High-Storage UK-Based Server

Hi everyone.

I'm looking for a high-storage server (either dedicated or virtual) based in the UK - this will be used for a big collection of files that I've been building since my childhood, and since these arn't currently backed up anywhere and literally can't be replaced I'm looking to store them somewhere solid. Overall, I'm looking for:

Virtualisation Type (if VPS): Xen/KVM

CPU: Doesn't matter - any CPU released within the last 10 years is fine

RAM: 2 GB

Disk: 2 x 8 TB (either hardware/software-based RAID 1), or 2 x 4 TB in RAID 1 if storage can be expanded in the future

Bandwidth: 1 TB/month

Port Speed: 500Mbps/1Gbps

IPs: 1 x IPv4 (IPv6 not needed)

I deliberately haven't listed a budget; it'd be good to get as many offers as possible so that I can figure out what I'd be looking to pay monthly for this kind of config. Happy to pay quarterly depending on provider.

Thanks!

Comments

• honestly your probably better off just looking at hezer dedicated server auction with that much storage

• Shot2Shot2 Member
    edited June 2019

IIRC HostHatch should have storage offers in the UK, soon™
    Maybe @Abdullah can confirm?

• I believe you're looking at 40 eur minimum with 2x4tb (not brand new)

• BopieBopie Member

OVH maybe, Zare, Clouvider just some of the UK providers of top of my head

Thanked by 1Zare
  • Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

Be interesting to see prices for this too, a lot of my backup servers are EU not UK currently. I seem to think @Clouvider had some low spec dedis with a bit of storage last black friday, but I could be making stuff up.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • I suggest you go with Hetzner or Zare. I don't think OVH has one with that storage size. I maybe be wrong.

Thanked by 1Zare
  • JackHJackH Member

@Zare - friendly, helpful, affordable and responsive. I suggest with that amount of disk space you look at a dedicated server in lieu of a VPS.

• Not sure why you want UK as NL, FR or DE aren't far and will have great network speeds to UK.

Anyway:

elliott94 said: this will be used for a big collection of files that I've been building since my childhood, and since these arn't currently backed up anywhere and literally can't be replaced I'm looking to store them somewhere solid

Wouldn't an offline backup more secure, cheaper and overall better if you don't need really quick access to the files? You could put the files on an (encrypted) drive, and give this drive to a relative in another city. Should be kinda disaster proof and wouldn't need a server online 24/7 (and monthly or annual bills).

Thanked by 2vimalware roast
  • @datanoise said:

elliott94 said: this will be used for a big collection of files that I've been building since my childhood, and since these arn't currently backed up anywhere and literally can't be replaced I'm looking to store them somewhere solid

Wouldn't an offline backup more secure, cheaper and overall better if you don't need really quick access to the files? You could put the files on an (encrypted) drive, and give this drive to a relative in another city. Should be kinda disaster proof and wouldn't need a server online 24/7 (and monthly or annual bills).

Thanks for the suggestion - however, I need a Debian-based machine due to other packages that I need to also run.

• ZareZare Member, Host Rep

Hey @elliott94 - We can definitely help you. Can you come on our website live chat or email me on [email protected]

It would be a dedicated server however - hope that is suitable?

• IshaqIshaq Member

Can definitely recommend @Zare - maybe buy the hard drives you want and get a colocation package with them? Would be cost effective long term.

Thanked by 1Zare
  • williewillie Member
    edited June 2019

If the files are that valuable you should be looking for multiple locations. Also consider writing them to LTO tapes and stashing copies under your bed, in a safe deposit box, etc.