Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Potential Nextcloud Setup
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Potential Nextcloud Setup

I'm trying to replace Google Drive. I need to backup a sizable amount of data (being generous, it comes to about 100GB) while also doing tasks like writing documents, etc.

Would it make sense to buy a reseller cPanel account (as they are really cheap storage-wise) and allocate all the resources to just one instance, and set up Nextcloud on it? Then, get a cheap KVM machine that only runs an onlyoffice server and link the two together?

I'm very new to the game. Thanks, all!

Comments

• emghemgh Member

Please note that many shared companies don't allow for files not related directly to the website to be hosted.

• donlidonli Member
    edited June 2019

Cpanel accounts are usually "really cheap storage-wise" because they specifically exclude you from using the accounts for things like storage.

Get a cheap NAT storage VPS ( < $20/year/100GB) you can run Nextcloud on.

• BopieBopie Member

As mentioned above most reseller packages well exclude the use of file storage specifically, there is much cheaper options out there for what you need, I mean if you can include a budget you have then I'm sire we can find you some good deals :)

• akhfaakhfa Member

Use SSD vps

Or use small SSD disk with seafile and s3 compatible storage

• zboununynofkjzboununynofkj Member
    edited June 2019

My budget is about $20-40 a year. I'm looking for about 150GB of storage. I don't know how realistic that is, though.

Thanks everyone for telling me about those requirements (and especially that my idea isn't exactly allowed, oops). I'll look into a NAT storage VPS. If you all would help me out, I'd appriciate it :smile:

• ITLabsITLabs Member

I suggest you opt for a VPS provider that offers block storage, so you can scale when needed.

Take a look at BuyVM (KVM + Slab) @Francisco.

• taubintaubin Member

@ITLabs said:
    I suggest you opt for a VPS provider that offers block storage, so you can scale when needed.

Unless I'm mis-reading it, they are out of slabs right now :( I've been keeping my eye out for one.

• sanvitsanvit Member

I heard @SpryServers_Tab does managed nextcloud. Dunno the price though

Thanked by 1SpryServers_Tab
  • not sure your location, and how much ram nextcloud needs but i assume not much

letbox (i have one and its fast)

https://alphavps.bg/#!/virtual-services/storage

• ITLabsITLabs Member

@taubin said:

@ITLabs said:

Unless I'm mis-reading it, they are out of slabs right now :( I've been keeping my eye out for one.

Yeah.... its hard to grab one slab. I believe the 1st of each month is the best moment, right @Francisco?

Thanked by 1taubin
  • taubintaubin Member

@ITLabs said:

Yeah.... its hard to grab one slab. I believe the 1st of each month is the best moment, right @Francisco?

I'll set a reminder on my calendar! Cheers

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • zboununynofkjzboununynofkj Member
    edited June 2019

For 150GB, it seems that SpryServers is about $12/month which is a touch too expensive for me.

BuyVM looks like a good option. A KVM slice + block storage would cost about $5/month, which I think is a good price for 256GB. Yeah, they're out which is a shame

Also, AlphaVPS looks really nice and a bit cheaper, but I can't tell if they only do business in the EU (I'm in the US) Does anyone else have experience with them?

Nextcloud doesn't require much RAM for my workload (cloud storage for one); I've ran on setups with 512MB and it's been fine.

• donlidonli Member
    edited June 2019

@zboununynofkj said:
    For 150GB, it seems that SpryServers is about $12/month which is a touch too expensive for me.

BuyVM looks like a good option. A KVM slice + block storage would cost about $5/month, which I think is a good price for 256GB. Yeah, they're out which is a shame

Also, AlphaVPS looks really nice and a bit cheaper, but I can't tell if they only do business in the EU (I'm in the US) Does anyone else have experience with them?

Nextcloud doesn't require much RAM for my workload (cloud storage for one); I've ran on setups with 512MB and it's been fine.

$ 32/year 250 GB Nat storage VPS from Gullo's ( @Cam ). You shouldn't need to pay more than that.
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2950238/p1

• uptimeuptime Member

would recommend taking a close look at the (relatively recent) offer for storage with semi-dedicated core in Arizona from Inception Hosting (@AnthonySmith) https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/157334/storage-kvm-usa-13-00-p-year-unmetered-inbound-bandwidth/p1 - seems just about right for nextcloud

1 CPU Core (1/2 core dedicated)
    1 GB Ram
    200 GB Disk space
    1 TB Bandwidth @ 1 gbit (shared - unmetered inbound)
    1 IPv4 address

€6.25 quarterly comes out to €25 per year (less than $30)

looks like it's still in stock here -> https://clients.inceptionhosting.com/cart.php?a=confproduct&i=0

I've been using a 400 GB storage KVM on that Arizona node since Black Friday and can say it is a solid source of superior potassium at a pretty decent price

Thanked by 2dahartigan willie
  • donlidonli Member
    edited June 2019

@uptime said:
    would recommend taking a close look at the (relatively recent) offer for storage with semi-dedicated core in Arizona from Inception Hosting (@AnthonySmith) https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/157334/storage-kvm-usa-13-00-p-year-unmetered-inbound-bandwidth/p1 - seems just about right for nextcloud

1 CPU Core (1/2 core dedicated)
    1 GB Ram
    200 GB Disk space
    1 TB Bandwidth @ 1 gbit (shared - unmetered inbound)
    1 IPv4 address

€6.25 quarterly comes out to €25 per year (less than $30)

$28.96 yearly when you select USD as currency.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • uptimeuptime Member

Also noticed in another recent thread https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/158283/350-gb-backup-storage-vps-3-5-per-month-max/p1

SmartHost said: To clarify our offer, half of our 1TB/1G $6.95 base plan we mentioned above would be 500GB SAS RAID-6 storage, 512MB RAM for $3.50/month or $35/year.

so more storage, less ram, in Las Vegas, $35 per year, also from an experienced provider.

I don't know if @SmartHost would be able to customize the offer to be closer to OP's requested specs - something like 250 GB storage / 1 GB ram could be interesting to see, might be worth asking about.

That semi-dedicated core / 200 GB offer from Inception looks hard to beat though. :)

• dahartigandahartigan Member
    edited June 2019

I'd just like to point out that using shared hosting or even an OpenVZ to host nextcloud will work but your files are sitting open in a directory on the host node.

If that server becomes compromised, your data will be exposed.

Using a KVM with encryption (LUKS) or a dedicated server will reduce that risk closer to zero.

You can always encrypt your data before putting it on nextcloud as a second security measure.

If you don't mind those security considerations, the cheapest option will be suitable.

That deal from @AnthonySmith has me tempted for use with a small, secondary nextcloud for an experiment I have on my to-do list.

You could use a NAT or IPv6 only with cloudflare for free too, and most NAT providers here offer a http/https reverse proxy, if you want the bare minimum.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • SmartHostSmartHost Patron Provider, Veteran

@uptime said:
    so more storage, less ram, in Las Vegas, $35 per year, also from an experienced provider.

Our Storage VPS service will be active in Herndon Virginia as well, for an East Coast location, by the end of the month.

I don't know if @SmartHost would be able to customize the offer to be closer to OP's requested specs - something like 250 GB storage / 1 GB ram could be interesting to see, might be worth asking about.

I'm sure we can do something like that within his budget. Need clarification from OP as to what RAM he really needs. Almost all our services are customizable...we don't lock you into a cookie-cutter unflexible package.

Thanked by 2uptime skorous
  • williewillie Member

For nextcloud you are better off with a 1gb vps than 512mb, from what I can tell. Anyone successfully using 512mb?

• @willie said:
    For nextcloud you are better off with a 1gb vps than 512mb, from what I can tell. Anyone successfully using 512mb?

Yeap, 512MB for nextcloud is enough, but op says "doing tasks like writing documents" and "onlyoffice" so at least 2GB.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

We can do the following xen vps:
    2GB Memory
    200GB Storage
    2 CPU cores
    5TB Bandwidth
    Xen HVM Virtualization
    1 IPv4 address
    1 IPv6 Subnet (/112)
    Full Root Access
    SolusVM control panel
    SSH Access
    Anti-DDoS protection
    Self-Managed Service
    £30 /year or $37

• Personally I prefer seafile to nextcloud these-days, I always found sync to be a problem with nextcloud once you threw a folder with a few thousand files in at it.

• KermEdKermEd Member
    edited June 2019

We went through this a few years ago, using an internal nextcloud server (because hey exclude by wildcard).

But now we are around 600GB on Google Drive with about 2.5m files, and a team of 10 using it. So I suppose no going back now :pensive:

If you find a good nextcloud host Imma copy you for my personal junk. But I'm gonna need like 1TB

Thanked by 1zboununynofkj
  • sanvitsanvit Member

I'm running nextcloud on my HH LA server (750M/750G) and it's working perfectly fine. I have an onlyoffice via docker on a VirMach 8GB VPS and onlyoffice is eating around 1.5GB RAM on idle

Thanked by 2ITLabs uptime