Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Colocation
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Colocation

curatorcurator Member
edited June 2019 in Help

I am quite new to colocation and was thinking about hosting a server or two in a Datacenter in the UK or Germany. I came across a few different prices and was wondering what a good or fair price would be.

Specifications:

1Gbit or 10Gbit uplink
Around 10TB bandwidth per month maximum
around 150 kW (approx. 200W per hour) per server per month if calculated correctly

Comments

• VPSSLIMVPSSLIM Patron Provider, Veteran

Hi, really depends on how many power you need and additional services like IPS and remote hands?

• @VPSSLIM said:
    Hi, really depends on how many power you need and additional services like IPS and remote hands?

Hey, thank you for pointing this out. IPS is needed most likely. Remote assistance would be needed for the setup and at very rare occasions if there is anything wrong with the server.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Power is your main cost.

• @Clouvider said:
    Power is your main cost.

Yes, I agree. That would be interesting to know as well.

@curator said:

@Clouvider said:
    Power is your main cost.

Then specify your requirements.

• @Clouvider said:

@curator said:

@Clouvider said:
    Power is your main cost.

Done

@curator said:

@Clouvider said:

@curator said:

@Clouvider said:
    Power is your main cost.

Done

Billing in kWh in a retail colocation is extremely uncommon. Specify your needs in Amps or kW.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @Clouvider said:

@curator said:

@Clouvider said:

@curator said:

@Clouvider said:
    Power is your main cost.

Done

Billing in kWh in a retail colocation is extremely uncommon. Specify your needs in Amps or kW.

Thanks. I have had a look at Hetzner as they list it at kWh but I guess it is easier in kW.

• VPSSLIMVPSSLIM Patron Provider, Veteran

150000 Kwh? You sure? That would be 28,500 euro aprox retail per month. I think that's a miscalculation for just one server :)

• @VPSSLIM said:
    150000 Kwh? You sure? That would be 28,500 euro aprox retail per month. I think that's a miscalculation for just one server :)

That is why it looked so weird to me.

You need to figure out your requirements before you start asking for quotes.

@curator said:

@VPSSLIM said:

That is why it looked so weird to me.

• I was not looking for quotes. I was looking for price ranges and recommendations mainly. Thanks though.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited June 2019

I guess he meant 150kWh. (200W * 24 * 30 = 144 kWh)

@curator

You almost certainly miscalculated unless you are having a low power server. You can either measure the actually drawn power (under both typical average and full load!) yourself or you can tell us some basic points like 1 or 2 sockets with what? processor, how many disks and type of disks and any provider should have a sensible idea about your power needs.

Simple guidelines:

• power is a major factor as @Clouvider correctly stated
    • 10 Gbps ports are obviously more expensive than 1 Gbps ones. Considering your volume of 10 TB a 1 Gbps port will almost certainly be plenty good enough.
    • as for price a good first orientation is to look what a server like yours at the kind of provider you like typically costs and to subtract about 10% to 20%.
    • Once or twice helping hands per month seems to be normal but careful, "helping hands" can mean anything from "pushing the power button" to "pulling out a drive carrier, replacing the (broken) drive in it and reinsert it and even keep an eye on the array rebuild". So be sure to ask what exactly any given provider means, both in terms of time (typ. x minutes) and in complexity of service performed.
    • When a customer is colocating the server is usually not any concern of the provider. When renting a dedi that server (s proper functioning) is a providers concern.
    • DDOS protection might be a concern - and a significant price factor.

TL;DR Unless you happen to have a server laying around or have very special needs it is almost always better to rent a dedi.

Thanked by 2Clouvider MikePT
  • @jsg said:
    I guess he meant 150kWh. (200W * 24 * 30 = 144 kWh)

@curator

You almost certainly miscalculated unless you are having a low power server. You can either measure the actually drawn power (under both typical average and full load!) yourself or you can tell us some basic points like 1 or 2 sockets with what? processor, how many disks and type of disks and any provider should have a sensible idea about your power needs.

Simple guidelines:

• power is a major factor as @Clouvider correctly stated
    • 10 Gbps ports are obviously more expensive than 1 Gbps ones. Considering your volume of 10 TB a 1 Gbps port will almost certainly be plenty good enough.
    • as for price a good first orientation is to look what a server like yours at the kind of provider you like typically costs and to subtract about 10% to 20%.
    • Once or twice helping hands per month seems to be normal but careful, "helping hands" can mean anything from "pushing the power button" to "pulling out a drive carrier, replacing the (broken) drive in it and reinsert it and even keep an eye on the array rebuild". So be sure to ask what exactly any given provider means, both in terms of time (typ. x minutes) and in complexity of service performed.
    • When a customer is colocating the server is usually not any concern of the provider. When renting a dedi that server (s proper functioning) is a providers concern.
    • DDOS protection might be a concern - and a significant price factor.

TL;DR Unless you happen to have a server laying around or have very special needs it is almost always better to rent a dedi.

First of all, thank you for the informative post. It was very helpful and I guess that you are right. A dedicated server might be the better solution for me.