Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CERN ditches Microsoft due to high license fees
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CERN ditches Microsoft due to high license fees

Thanked by 1Erik2

Comments

• pikepike Veteran
    edited June 2019

Give me games for linux and we can talk about desktop linux machines.

Thanked by 3hostdare drizbo Arch
  • @pike said:

...whatever games that can run on SteamOS? Or that doesn't count?

• AC_FanAC_Fan Member

@pike said:

Proton thx.

Thanked by 1that_guy
  • rubenruben Member, Host Rep

pike said: Give me games for linux and we can talk about desktop linux machines.

Rather "give me Word on Linux" in the Enterprise world.. people don't want to change to LibreOffice ;)
    @level6 I think they will move the servers first and desktops at last.

Thanked by 1chrisp
  • yokowasisyokowasis Member
    edited June 2019

We are in the 2019, and still there is no easy way to create shortcut on desktop. Windows can do that since Windows 95.

The latest Ubuntu crash my 2019 $1k laptop, when I close the lid. Linux work station sucks. You spend more time fixing it than doing your works. Windows is way better, because it just works.

Also Microsoft Office, in 2019, still there is no equivalent of Ctrl + t / Ctrl shift t in Libre Office. There is no official Google drive, no official one drive.

Thanked by 2chrisp that_guy
  • deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited June 2019

I've been hearing "*nix will overtake Windows" since 90s.

Personally, haven't seen much of a progress. I see steps being taken but they are baby steps.

When you see *nix nerd reaches orgasm when it gains 0.1% market share, you know things aren't exactly progressing.

Thanked by 2TheKiller that_guy
  • @yokowasis said:
    We are in the 2019, and still there is no easy way to create shortcut on desktop. Windows can do that since Windows 95.

The latest Ubuntu crash my laptop, when I close the lid. Linux work station sucks. You spend more time fixing it than doing tour works. Windows is way better, because it just works.

Ubuntu is very stable on my lappy toppy.

• StrypStryp Member

@ricannardo said:

@pike said:

...whatever games that can run on SteamOS? Or that doesn't count?

I can say goodbye to around 50% of my whole Steam Library then? (39 out of 77 games)
    Not really worth it.

Thanked by 1pike
  • AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited June 2019

Consoles/Tablets for games, laptops for business/serious. Simples.
    Two days of Windoze updates when migrating to a replacement laptop. Windows Update currently stuck at 12% on one. Linux=zero farting about.

• pikepike Veteran
    edited June 2019

@AlwaysSkint said:
    Consoles/Tablets for games

@yokowasis said:
    Windows is way better, because it just works.

Thanked by 1FHR
  • YuraYura Member

I like how the discussion has nothing to do with CERN, academics and licensing fees. This is all just an excuse to be pissed off at games not working under Linux.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

That is because people here have virtually nothing to do academics.

Hell, most are unable to have the focus to read more than a paragraph.

Thanked by 2imok that_guy
    edited June 2019

Petition your local/national governments to stop paying for software licenses (a few use open source already). It's your money that they are wasting - perhaps they need to play games. ;)
    Ironically, academia is where *nix began to flourish.

Getting Windows Ready
    Don't turn off your computer

(For another 30 minutes, plus)

• donlidonli Member

@ruben said:

Rather "give me Word on Linux" in the Enterprise world.. people don't want to change to LibreOffice ;)

I've found people will change, when they are the ones that have to pay for Word.

• I realize now that I haven't booted into windows in over 4-5 years.

The last time was to play Crysis 2.
    Then SteamOS happened.

• AC_FanAC_Fan Member

@ruben said:

pike said: Give me games for linux and we can talk about desktop linux machines.

@level6 I think they will move the servers first and desktops at last.

OnlyOffice thx.

• @AlwaysSkint said:
    Petition your local/national governments to stop paying for software licenses (a few use open source already). It's your money that they are wasting - perhaps they need to play games. ;)
    Ironically, academia is where *nix began to flourish.

Getting Windows Ready
    Don't turn off your computer

(For another 30 minutes, plus)

Costs of licenses are only some to consider.

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/linux-to-windows-10-why-did-munich-switch-and-why-does-it-matter/

P.S. I could use a recommendation for an OS to be installed on a low-end laptop.
    Which is used for Internet and LibreOffice (compatible) spreadsheats.
    3 GB RAM and two core AMD CPU that is some 5 years old, or so.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
    edited June 2019

@bikegremlin said:
    P.S. I could use a recommendation for an OS to be installed on a low-end laptop.
    Which is used for Internet and LibreOffice (compatible) spreadsheats.
    3 GB RAM and two core AMD CPU that is some 5 years old, or so.

Up until this week, I used a similar spec laptop for my daily use (for 5+ years). Linux Mint Mate/Cinammon serves me well: no need to use a low-end DE (eg. xfce)/distribution (eg. AntiX) either.
    Dual Core with 3Gb doesn't repesent low-end in my book; I'm now on a super dooper high tech i5 vPro (totally modern, for me). My 'holiday' laptops tend to be much more low-end. ;)

edited June 2019

Thanks for this.

One of the city council members said they had 15 different operating systems and versions in use

.. laying the blame on the fragmented nature of how IT is managed at Munich, with responsibility split between more than 20 separate organizations throughout the city.

That's the real issue (coming from an Enterprise Management background) and I've seen the same problem in MS environments.

"I don't think that after 12 years you can say it didn't work for Munich. It worked for 12 years and now, for political reasons, it's going back to Windows.

I'd hazard a guess that MS has offered a special licensing deal and brought in their Implementation Consultants to assist with software management/deployment, at a lower than usual rate. Purely conjecture, on my part.

Thanked by 2bikegremlin MikePT
  • @AlwaysSkint said:

Thanks for this.

One of the city council members said they had 15 different operating systems and versions in use

.. laying the blame on the fragmented nature of how IT is managed at Munich, with responsibility split between more than 20 separate organizations throughout the city.

That's the real issue (coming from an Enterprise Management background) and I've seen the same problem in MS environments.

"I don't think that after 12 years you can say it didn't work for Munich. It worked for 12 years and now, for political reasons, it's going back to Windows.

I'd hazard a guess that MS has offered a special licensing deal and brought in their Implementation Consultants to assist with software management/deployment, at a lower than usual rate. Purely conjecture, on my part.

Habits, knowledge level of staff (both IT and "users"), legacy systems - many things to consider.

Plus, we have no idea what picture the higher up management has. Not saying they are all good and altruistic, but also don't think they'd be all eager to needlessly waste money. At the same time not underestimating the power of any "bribery" - along with the things you mentioned.

It's a mix of all that, never black and white - always grey.