Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hosting video downloader service on Hetzner
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hosting video downloader service on Hetzner

MedowMedow Member
edited June 2019 in General

I need to ask if it is allowed to host a video downloader service on Hetnzer ?
The website will not store in files on server they just proxy the video files from youtube, metacafe ... etc to the users.
Is this allowed?
Thanks

Comments

• YuraYura Member
    edited June 2019

Please open ticket and I will provide an official answer after I finished refunding Alpharack customers.

• pikepike Veteran

As long as you dont receive abusemails you're fine. Hetzner doesnt spy on their customers.

• LeviLevi Member

Medow said: Is this allowed?

Yes, this is allowed. In case you attract authorities, you will know that after they will cease your disks. And than your ass.

DMCA getting very ridiculous in germany. Do not risk.

• @LTniger said:

Yes, this is allowed. In case you attract authorities, you will know that after they will cease your disks. And than your ass.

Which is why he should buy finland location.

• MedowMedow Member

@LTniger said:

I will have no control over the contents, and nothing will be stored on harddisk . The service will be act as a middleman between video host (youtube, facebook, openload ..etc) and between visitors.
    It just stream the media file between the orgin and between the visitors just like keepvid do.

@pike said:
    As long as you dont receive abusemails you're fine. Hetzner doesnt spy on their customers.

Which kind of abuse mail you mean, DMCA reports?

@stefeman said:

@LTniger said:

Do you have some providers on your mind that give me a plenty of bandwidth?

• @Medow said:
    I will have no control over the contents, and nothing will be stored on harddisk . The service will be act as a middleman between video host (youtube, facebook, openload ..etc) and between visitors.
    It just stream the media file between the orgin and between the visitors just like keepvid do.

Maybe just use Hetzner as the first middleman, and not the last user-facing 'middle-man'.

• sanvitsanvit Member

@stefeman said:

@LTniger said:

Do you have some providers on your mind that give me a plenty of bandwidth?

Hetzner

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • Hetzner <3

Something something cloudflare something something cociu vpn cough something

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

Medow said: I will have no control over the contents

This is problematic in terms of copyright protection. If you don't have control over the contents you can't prevent users from downloading copyrighted content. This is illegal and we do not want that. Should you have further questions you can contact our corporate lawyer at [email protected].
    --Julia, Marketing

• YmpkerYmpker Member

Why do you want to self-host thid DMCA sh** if a service like this (you mentioned keepvid) already exists?

• MedowMedow Member

@Ympker said:
    Why do you want to self-host thid DMCA sh** if a service like this (you mentioned keepvid) already exists?

I will not self-host those contents.
    I will proxy them just like keepvid do.

• @Hetzner_OL said:

Medow said: I will have no control over the contents

This is problematic in terms of copyright protection. If you don't have control over the contents you can't prevent users from downloading copyrighted content. This is illegal and we do not want that. Should you have further questions you can contact our corporate lawyer at [email protected].
    --Julia, Marketing

Except for the content wouldn’t be hosted by you. From my understanding they want to use api to present the user with download links from google servers for the videos which is basically what keepvid did and last I checked there was nothing illegal with that.

With that being said, you might want to try a host that actually will ignore abuse complaints that are blatantly abusing the dmca process. I would recommend BuyVM for what you want to do, @Francisco is awesome with this kind of stuff.

Thanked by 1Medow
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@Medow said:

@Ympker said:

My bad. Why do you want to proxy them and go through all that potential legal trouble if keepvid does that already?

• YuraYura Member

@Ympker said:

@Medow said:

@Ympker said:

My bad. Why do you want to proxy them and go through all that potential legal trouble if keepvid does that already?

He wants to copy keepvid and offer same service to earn money via ads or else. It's business.

Thanked by 3Ympker Clouvider Medow
  • Genius is stabilizing. Give it time.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Medow said:

@Ympker said:

But you won’t, because Hetzner said no, so forget about proxing potentially illegal content.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @Clouvider said:

@Medow said:

@Ympker said:

But you won’t, because Hetzner said no, so forget about proxing potentially illegal content.

No, mean yes as long they dont get dmca

• When Hetnzer said unproperlly, Try Upcloud from Fin. Worth a try.

Thanked by 1Medow
  • stefemanstefeman Member
    edited June 2019

@Clouvider said:

@Medow said:

@Ympker said:

I have no problems seeding torrents on Hetzner Finland. Its not causing any dmca issues to host as its all on private tracker/networks. Public Youtube vids is quite mild content compared to linux isos.