Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ServerStrong: Kernel Panics, Segmentation Faults, Read-only OS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ServerStrong: Kernel Panics, Segmentation Faults, Read-only OS

dolfindolfin Member

I've been trying to get something setup on ServerStrong. I've tried CentOS Minimal 6.5 and 6.9 and Ubuntu 16.04.

CentOS 6.5 boots up with a Kernel Panic after yum update. CentOS 6.9 will boot up after yum update, but eth0 is down and I have to use VNC to login and bring it up. But I can't start sshd since the OS is read only.

Ubuntu 16.04 errors out with dkpg: error processing package libpam-runtime (--configure): subprocess installed post-installation script was killed by signal (Segmentation fault), core dumped. Then any subsequent attempt to install any packages result in segmentation faults at random times during the install.

I am not fluent in Linux by any means, but these problems have me confused because I haven't seen them on any other VM or local installs.

I've contacted their support department about it and provided screen recordings of what I am seeing. They ask me to try it again, but it is always the same result. Now I've reached my reinstall limit for the month and stuck with a broken, read-only, install of CentOS.

What can I do to fix this?

Comments

• donlidonli Member
    edited June 2019

What are the specs on your server ?

Where are you getting the Centos and Ubuntu images ?

Thanked by 1DataWagon
  • dahartigandahartigan Member
    edited June 2019

Server strong? Haha what a name. I haven't heard of this mob before. Is it a brand new LEB host?

Is server strong on plow?

Thanked by 1BeardyUnixGuy
  • sanvitsanvit Member

Is there even such a thing like reinstall limit?

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • dolfindolfin Member

@donli said:

4GB SSD KVM VPS

4 CPU Cores
    4096MB (4GB) RAM
    30GB SSD Storage
    10TB Bandwidth
    1Gbps Network
    KVM/SolusVM
    SolusVM API Access
    Docker Supported
    $45/year

All images are supplied by ServerStrong

• dolfindolfin Member

@dahartigan said:
    Server strong? Haha what a name. I haven't heard of this mob before. Is it a brand new LEB host?

Maybe. I found it here: https://lowendbox.com/blog/serverstrong-4gb-ram-ssd-kvm-vps-for-45-year-more-in-los-angeles-ca-high-bandwidth-vps/

• dolfindolfin Member

@sanvit said:
    Is there even such a thing like reinstall limit?

I guess so. I go to reinstall because this install is broken and get this:
    You have reached your reinstall limit for this month

• My advice is to bail on it now. Get a refund if possible, and look at the offers here in the forums.

Thanked by 2poisson skorous
  • dolfindolfin Member

@dahartigan said:
    My advice is to bail on it now. Get a refund if possible, and look at the offers here in the forums.

Just saw another comment on the page with the offer of someone having the same issue. I think I am past the point of refunds unfortunately.

• @dolfin said:

@dahartigan said:
    My advice is to bail on it now. Get a refund if possible, and look at the offers here in the forums.

Just saw another comment on the page with the offer of someone having the same issue. I think I am past the point of refunds unfortunately.

Give it a try, if not, chalk it up as a learning experience. You could try posting a request thread with your requirements and I'm sure you will be given a lot of good options.

• donlidonli Member
    edited June 2019

Walid Ammar:

Stay away … I believe these guys have kvm misconfiguration issue, when I try to install libreswan it gives segmentation fault (I have done the installation on more 25 other servers without any issue). I believe the ram size they are promoting is not real because segmentation fault means illegal memory allocation.

Applied for full refund.

Low End Box New Startup ServerClueless.

• ServerWeak

• Let's see...

1) Posted on LowEndBox: check.
    2) Offers huge discount on 3 year pre-paid plans: check.
    3) Unreasonable price for the advertised specs: check.
    4) Colocrossing: check.

There should have been nuke sirens and not red flags going off at that point. :D

• LeviLevi Member

dahartigan said: Haha what a name.

Speaking about names, take a look:

• donlidonli Member

@LTniger said:

dahartigan said: Haha what a name.

Speaking about names, take a look:

Note to self: Avoid ServerPumpGood.com

• LeviLevi Member

donli said: Note to self: Avoid ServerPumpGood.com

You can always trust in ServerThrust.com ;)

• donlidonli Member

@Skander said:
    Let's see...

1) Posted on LowEndBox: check.
    2) Offers huge discount on 3 year pre-paid plans: check.
    3) Unreasonable price for the advertised specs: check.
    4) Colocrossing: check.

There should have been nuke sirens and not red flags going off at that point.

Lately it looks like the offers are churned out via a duplicating machine with only slight random differences in terms/prices and a different name for the host.

• LeviLevi Member

donli said: and a different name for the host.

And those names getting pretty ridiculous.

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

Looks like the server ain't strong buddy.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@dolfin said:

@dahartigan said:

They are failing to provide you the service that you're paying for. Sounds like a reason for a chargeback to me, if they refuse to refund you.

Thanked by 1jsg
  • datanoisedatanoise Member
    edited June 2019

dolfin said: Maybe. I found it here: https://lowendbox.com

Damn. You forgot rule number 1: "If you find a link to this provider on LowEndTalk, don't buy ANYTHING".

Politely asking for a refund sound like the wisest option. If you can't get a refund, maybe you can forget the 45 bucks and consider this a lesson learnt the hard way?

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

datanoise said: LowEndTalk

LowEndBox

• When it you using ubuntu, you can use this command

sudo apt-get autoremove
    sudo apt-get --purge remove && sudo apt-get autoclean
    sudo apt-get -f install
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure -a
    sudo dpkg --configure -a

then try it again
    sudo apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

Thanked by 1uptime
  • FHR said: LowEndBox

Damn good catch, didn't mean LET but LEB of course... not used to type LowEndBox as I never go there since LEA left...

• @datanoise said:

FHR said: LowEndBox

Damn good catch, didn't mean LET but LEB of course... not used to type LowEndBox as I never go there since LEA left...

Given your signature, your kind ain't welcome here.

• @TimboJones said:

@datanoise said:

FHR said: LowEndBox

Given your signature, your kind ain't welcome here.

needed? :wink:

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • tefcontefcon Member
    edited June 2019

same issue happening to me https://imgur.com/B93NNF1. Their KVM host is badly configured and giving a lot of segfaults. These are my VM parameters:

• Serverstoned

• BopieBopie Member

@dolfin said:

@donli said:

4GB SSD KVM VPS

4 CPU Cores
    4096MB (4GB) RAM
    30GB SSD Storage
    10TB Bandwidth
    1Gbps Network
    KVM/SolusVM
    SolusVM API Access
    Docker Supported
    $45/year

All images are supplied by ServerStrong

God dam i wish this deal was even possible :O the ram ok, the disk space ok but 4 cpu cores :O,

I mean that server must be screaming for help.