Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com
$5/year VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

$5/year VPS

Nigh is risen,

Now that my beloved alphawootnfpbytes has floated off into the abyss, along with their crazy $5/year offers, I'm on the lookout for the next best thing for my hobby of running deadly experiments on dirt cheap toys from the internet.

For today's experiments, I want to run a small DNS server, so it must have an IPv4 address - this rules out NAT (unfortunately)

Otherwise, the specs required are extremely minimum.

Any amount of RAM over 64mb would suffice (for OpenVZ/LXC).
1GB storage would work.
CPU can be a potato as long as it emits at least 3.6 Roentgen/hr from the potassium.
Location and network also unimportant, 10mbit connection is perfect.

Extra points if there is a location SELECTER offered for superior redundancy and insurance against single node catastrophe.

Can increase budget to $8 if server is strong on plow.

Sirs, thank you.

Purveyor of high quality potassium

«1

Comments

  • donlidonli Member
    edited June 2019

    You know how many $6 VirMach deals there were last BF?

    The problem is the IPv4 address is worth about $6/year alone.

    Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @donli said:
    You know how many $6 VirMach deals there were last BF?

    I give up, how many?

    Thanked by 1kkrajk

    Purveyor of high quality potassium

  • donlidonli Member
    edited June 2019

    @dahartigan said:

    @donli said:
    You know how many $6 VirMach deals there were last BF?

    I give up, how many?

    More than any one person could idle.

    Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @donli said:

    @dahartigan said:

    @donli said:
    You know how many $6 VirMach deals there were last BF?

    I give up, how many?

    More than any one person could idle.

    Challenge accepted

    Purveyor of high quality potassium

  • So you need one IPv4 address for less than 42 cents per month...if nothing else. Right?

    Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire
    edited June 2019

    @dahartigan said:
    Challenge accepted

    Based on records about 25 flash sales VPS were sold by VirMach at < $6/yr, with highest RAM 640MB / SSD 30GB.

    The cheapest non easter-egg one is $0.95/yr

    $0.95/yr
    VIRTUALIZATION OpenVZ – 1 GIGABIT
    RAM 512MB DEDICATED RAM
    CPU 1x FAIR SHARE CPU vCORE
    HDD 15GB SSD (RAID 10)
    BANDWIDTH 500GB BANDWIDTH
    LOCATION BUFFALO, NY LOCATION
    IPs 1 DEDICATED IPv4
    

    "Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always."

  • donlidonli Member
    edited June 2019

    @FAT32 said:

    @dahartigan said:
    Challenge accepted

    Based on records about 25 flash sales VPS were sold at < $6/yr, with highest RAM 640MB / SSD 30GB.

    I got one of the $6 ones in LA with :

    OpenVZ
    500 GB Bandwidth.
    768 MB Memory.
    30 GB SSD.
    1 IPv4 address
    (0 IPv6 addresses because you know why).

    Thanked by 2dahartigan FAT32
  • @yongsiklee said:
    So you need one IPv4 address for less than 42 cents per month...if nothing else. Right?

    That's what it boils down to.

    @FAT32 said:

    @dahartigan said:
    Challenge accepted

    Based on records about 25 flash sales VPS were sold by VirMach at < $6/yr, with highest RAM 640MB / SSD 30GB.

    The cheapest non easter-egg one is $0.95/yr

    $0.95/yr
    VIRTUALIZATION OpenVZ – 1 GIGABIT
    RAM 512MB DEDICATED RAM
    CPU 1x FAIR SHARE CPU vCORE
    HDD 15GB SSD (RAID 10)
    BANDWIDTH 500GB BANDWIDTH
    LOCATION BUFFALO, NY LOCATION
    IPs 1 DEDICATED IPv4
    

    Woah, thanks for sharing that :) If nothing comes of this thread, I'll just wait for BF

    Thanked by 1FAT32

    Purveyor of high quality potassium

  • donlidonli Member

    @FAT32 said:

    $0.95/yr
    VIRTUALIZATION OpenVZ – 1 GIGABIT
    RAM 512MB DEDICATED RAM
    CPU 1x FAIR SHARE CPU vCORE
    HDD 15GB SSD (RAID 10)
    BANDWIDTH 500GB BANDWIDTH
    LOCATION BUFFALO, NY LOCATION
    IPs 1 DEDICATED IPv4

    They wanted to beat @cam and his insane BF $1 NAT VPS offer.

    Thanked by 2dahartigan Cam
  • FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire
    edited June 2019

    @donli said:
    They wanted to beat @cam and his insane BF $1 NAT VPS offer.

    I believe you missed it, the cheapest one by @cam is $0.70/yr :)

    Anyway now I am low key regret for not buying the $0.95/yr one by VirMach

    "Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always."

  • donlidonli Member

    @FAT32 said:

    @donli said:
    They wanted to beat @cam and his insane BF $1 NAT VPS offer.

    I believe you missed it, the cheapest one by @cam is $0.70/yr :)

    Yeah after buying one of the $1 ones (I didn't think he could go any lower) I also went for one of the later $0.70 ones.

    Thanked by 3dahartigan FAT32 Cam
  • uptimeuptime Member

    just wait for BF

    178 days until ...

    I picked up one of the VirMach OVZ BF deals with those specs (512 MB ram, 15 GB SSD) in Seattle for $4.75/y last time around. (I think it was one of the first of several flash sale impulse buys that weekend ... no ragrats!)

    Thanked by 1dahartigan

    the Amitz.party lives on!

  • FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

    @donli said:
    Yeah after buying one of the $1 ones (I didn't think he could go any lower) I also went for one of the later $0.70 ones.

    This BF: See who can go lower than $0.7/yr :D

    Thanked by 1dahartigan

    "Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always."

  • @uptime said:

    just wait for BF

    178 days until ...

    I picked up one of the VirMach OVZ BF deals with those specs (512 MB ram, 15 GB SSD) in Seattle for $4.75/y last time around. (I think it was one of the first of several flash sale impulse buys that weekend ... no ragrats!)

    Were you able to measure the potassium's emissions, sir?

    Thanked by 1uptime

    Purveyor of high quality potassium

  • yongsikleeyongsiklee Member
    edited June 2019

    If I can be approved of a provider, I can provide $0.12/yr for the same spec.
    Maybe much better like 1vCORE, 256MB Ram, 5 SSD, 500GB traffic.
    1 cent per month.
    In other words, $0.01/m.

    With NAT.

    Location: Virginia.

    Thanked by 1uptime
  • FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire
    edited June 2019

    @yongsiklee said:
    If I can be approved of a provider, I can provide $0.12/yr for the same spec.
    Maybe much better like 1vCORE, 256MB Ram, 5 SSD, 500GB traffic.
    1 cent per month.
    In other words, $0.01/m.

    With NAT.

    Location: Virginia.

    For that price why not give it for free? You dont have to be a provider to give out free services. Btw count me in :D

    "Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always."

  • donlidonli Member
    edited June 2019

    @FAT32 said:

    @donli said:
    Yeah after buying one of the $1 ones (I didn't think he could go any lower) I also went for one of the later $0.70 ones.

    This BF: See who can go lower than $0.7/yr :D

    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/156440/nanokvm-free-nat-kvm-multiple-locations/p1

    Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • uptimeuptime Member

    roentgen >= 3.6 at all times

    what do you want to know ?

    CPU E5-2620 v2 @ 2.10GHz
    

    sequential write speed around 600 MB/s

    uptime is fine (I reboot it every so often as I am in the habit of doing so after updates)

    I haven't monitored the network but could certainly endeavor to ascertain the velocity of transference to various locations of interest, if that might be of interest to you.

    tl;dr: remarkably superior potassium for less than 2 cents a day

    Thanked by 1dahartigan

    the Amitz.party lives on!

  • donlidonli Member

    @FAT32 said:

    For that price why not give it for free?

    Let the poor guy have his 12 cents!

    Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @uptime said:
    roentgen >= 3.6 at all times

    what do you want to know ?

    CPU E5-2620 v2 @ 2.10GHz
    

    sequential write speed around 600 MB/s

    uptime is fine (I reboot it every so often as I am in the habit of doing so after updates)

    I haven't monitored the network but could certainly endeavor to ascertain the velocity of transference to various locations of interest, if that might be of interest to you.

    tl;dr: remarkably superior potassium for less than 2 cents a day

    Excellent work, comrade. It sounds like the potassium is indeed superior. I'll be honest, I have forgotten about virmach.

    Thanked by 1uptime

    Purveyor of high quality potassium

  • donlidonli Member
    edited June 2019

    @yongsiklee said:
    If I can be approved of a provider, I can provide $0.12/yr for the same spec.
    Maybe much better like 1vCORE, 256MB Ram, 5 SSD, 500GB traffic.
    1 cent per month.
    In other words, $0.01/m.

    With NAT.

    Location: Virginia.

  • @FAT32 said:

    @yongsiklee said:
    If I can be approved of a provider, I can provide $0.12/yr for the same spec.
    Maybe much better like 1vCORE, 256MB Ram, 5 SSD, 500GB traffic.
    1 cent per month.
    In other words, $0.01/m.

    With NAT.

    Location: Virginia.

    For that price why not give it for free? You dont have to be a provider to give out free services. Btw count me in :D

    I do not believe in a free society. It doesn't make sense.
    Give and take.

  • FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

    @yongsiklee said:
    I do not believe in a free society. It doesn't make sense.
    Give and take.

    Well the problem is for $0.12 the payment processing fee is going to cost a lot more than that. I am not blaming you, but just a suggestion :)

    Thanked by 2dahartigan sayem314

    "Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always."

  • uptimeuptime Member

    @dahartigan said:

    @uptime said:
    roentgen >= 3.6 at all times

    what do you want to know ?

    CPU E5-2620 v2 @ 2.10GHz
    

    sequential write speed around 600 MB/s

    uptime is fine (I reboot it every so often as I am in the habit of doing so after updates)

    I haven't monitored the network but could certainly endeavor to ascertain the velocity of transference to various locations of interest, if that might be of interest to you.

    tl;dr: remarkably superior potassium for less than 2 cents a day

    Excellent work, comrade. It sounds like the potassium is indeed superior. I'll be honest, I have forgotten about virmach.

    The VirMach Black Friday flash sale thread is actually still in play - you might inquire there as to whether any of the addled adherents may be willing to pass along any of their extra idlers (though that necessary $3 fee for the VirMach to process the transfer will already be over half your budget, lol)

    Thanked by 1dahartigan

    the Amitz.party lives on!

  • @FAT32 said:

    @yongsiklee said:
    I do not believe in a free society. It doesn't make sense.
    Give and take.

    Well the problem is for $0.12 the payment processing fee is going to cost a lot more than that. I am not blaming you, but just a suggestion :)

    I also take cash. Just let me know where and when we can meet.

  • @uptime said:

    @dahartigan said:

    @uptime said:
    roentgen >= 3.6 at all times

    what do you want to know ?

    CPU E5-2620 v2 @ 2.10GHz
    

    sequential write speed around 600 MB/s

    uptime is fine (I reboot it every so often as I am in the habit of doing so after updates)

    I haven't monitored the network but could certainly endeavor to ascertain the velocity of transference to various locations of interest, if that might be of interest to you.

    tl;dr: remarkably superior potassium for less than 2 cents a day

    Excellent work, comrade. It sounds like the potassium is indeed superior. I'll be honest, I have forgotten about virmach.

    The VirMach Black Friday flash sale thread is actually still in play - you might inquire there as to whether any of the addled adherents may be willing to pass along any of their extra idlers (though that necessary $3 fee for the VirMach to process the transfer will already be over half your budget, lol)

    Outstanding investigation work, sir. I will see if I can convince someone to trade their VPS to me and for them to pay the fee. Those feels when the fee exceeds the yearly budget. I might come back with a "female" profile and stir the nest a bit, I'm sure some nerd will be happy to oblige.

    Purveyor of high quality potassium

  • donlidonli Member

    @uptime said:

    The VirMach Black Friday flash sale thread is actually still in play - you might inquire there as to whether any of the addled adherents may be willing to pass along any of their extra idlers (though that necessary $3 fee for the VirMach to process the transfer will already be over half your budget, lol)

    The first rule of fight club is you don't talk about fight club.

    Thanked by 2dahartigan MasonR
  • @yongsiklee said:

    @FAT32 said:

    @yongsiklee said:
    I do not believe in a free society. It doesn't make sense.
    Give and take.

    Well the problem is for $0.12 the payment processing fee is going to cost a lot more than that. I am not blaming you, but just a suggestion :)

    I also take cash. Just let me know where and when we can meet.

    I'll mail you a dime and two pennies.

    lurking in the shadows like a wombat or some shit

  • donlidonli Member
    edited June 2019

    @dahartigan said:
    I might come back with a "female" profile and stir the nest a bit, I'm sure some nerd will be happy to oblige.

    What's the link to your VpsJasmin channel ?

    Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @SirFoxy said:

    @yongsiklee said:

    @FAT32 said:

    @yongsiklee said:
    I do not believe in a free society. It doesn't make sense.
    Give and take.

    Well the problem is for $0.12 the payment processing fee is going to cost a lot more than that. I am not blaming you, but just a suggestion :)

    I also take cash. Just let me know where and when we can meet.

    I'll mail you a dime and two pennies.

    Just remember on the mail to write your name, phone number and email address (Pls, spell correctly) so that I can set up your new account correctly.

  • If the experiment is meant for a day, why not try one of the providers that do like $5/day?

    If you search for Impact VPS promos, there should still be a VDR1 with 2 IP's for $12/year. You can make two 512's. I think you might even be able to split Seattle and Dallas on the VDR's.

  • how much actually cost for rent 1 ip4 a year if you don't take profit? anyone knows?
    Can it use like ican fee $0.18 for a year? :smiley:

  • donlidonli Member

    @d2itsme said:
    how much actually cost for rent 1 ip4 a year if you don't take profit? anyone knows?
    Can it use like ican fee $0.18 for a year? :smiley:

    Depends how many you buy (and from where). You can use $0.50/IPv4addess/year as a rough wholesale price and $1+/IPv4address/year as a rough retail price.

    Thanked by 1d2itsme
  • @donli said:

    @d2itsme said:
    how much actually cost for rent 1 ip4 a year if you don't take profit? anyone knows?
    Can it use like ican fee $0.18 for a year? :smiley:

    Depends how many you buy (and from where). You can use $0.50/IPv4addess/year as a rough wholesale price and $1+/IPv4address/year as a rough retail price.

    what i thinking is IP4 consist of 4 octet separate by points. In mathematical permutation 1-9 , 1 until 255 every single slot before dot (.) 1-255.1-255.1-255.1-255 (x.x.x.x)

    So how many permutation probably can be produce all around the world?

    Any mathematics on here?

    Or if on this forum any knows about how's number IP4 issued? or any knows who can give an elaboration about IP4 issued in simple words.

  • donlidonli Member
    edited June 2019

    @d2itsme said:

    So how many permutation probably can be produce all around the world?

    More than you probably want to know:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv4_address_exhaustion

    Thanked by 1d2itsme
  • NeoonNeoon Member

    Okay, we have seen, which range gets unsustainable.
    And people still come up and try to get one in that area.
    But why? Is it some kind of goal, to deadpool 10 times in your life?

    VirMach looks stable, but who knows for how long.
    Still mostly CC behind it, could be gone anytime.

    Thanked by 2d2itsme cybertech
  • @Neoon said:
    Okay, we have seen, which range gets unsustainable.
    And people still come up and try to get one in that area.
    But why? Is it some kind of goal, to deadpool 10 times in your life?

    VirMach looks stable, but who knows for how long.
    Still mostly CC behind it, could be gone anytime.

    Indirectly i support u but would you mind if you make special thread or a posting in somewhere you can give me a link , "How to configure vps NAT".

    I think clearly on manual is something you can't forget which is giving good impact for your next customer.

  • NeoonNeoon Member

    @d2itsme said:

    @Neoon said:
    Okay, we have seen, which range gets unsustainable.
    And people still come up and try to get one in that area.
    But why? Is it some kind of goal, to deadpool 10 times in your life?

    VirMach looks stable, but who knows for how long.
    Still mostly CC behind it, could be gone anytime.

    Indirectly i support u but would you mind if you make special thread or a posting in somewhere you can give me a link , "How to configure vps NAT".

    Imagine, living in a building, with 100 people.
    When you buy something online, what do you do?
    You write your name on your package, because you share the address with 100 people. Otherwise it would not end up at your door.

    Thats NAT.

    Just because their 100 flats in the building, does not mean its different.
    Its the same just with 100 flats, no difference.

  • I have a $5/yr vps with quickclickhosting you can have if you contact them and see if they allow transfers

    Thanked by 1d2itsme

    Favourite host in general: Ramnode (affiliate link)
    Favourite host for hourly billing/custom ISOs: Vultr ($50 free credit for new accounts, affiliate link)

  • @hostnoob said:
    I have a $5/yr vps with quickclickhosting you can have if you contact them and see if they allow transfers

    Thanks for the offer, I was looking for one that might be in stock. I've got the provider on my radar now.

    I'm curious how the performance is on that vps..

    Thanked by 1d2itsme

    Purveyor of high quality potassium

  • RamiRami Member

    @FAT32 said:

    $0.95/yr
    VIRTUALIZATION OpenVZ – 1 GIGABIT
    RAM 512MB DEDICATED RAM
    CPU 1x FAIR SHARE CPU vCORE
    HDD 15GB SSD (RAID 10)
    BANDWIDTH 500GB BANDWIDTH
    LOCATION BUFFALO, NY LOCATION
    IPs 1 DEDICATED IPv4
    

    OMG How did I miss this one :(

  • donlidonli Member

    @Rami said:

    @FAT32 said:

    $0.95/yr
    VIRTUALIZATION OpenVZ – 1 GIGABIT
    RAM 512MB DEDICATED RAM
    CPU 1x FAIR SHARE CPU vCORE
    HDD 15GB SSD (RAID 10)
    BANDWIDTH 500GB BANDWIDTH
    LOCATION BUFFALO, NY LOCATION
    IPs 1 DEDICATED IPv4
    

    OMG How did I miss this one :(

    You must have been weak and slept sometime during the 4 day Black Friday to Cyber Monday period.

    Thanked by 1Yura
  • RamiRami Member

    @donli said:

    @Rami said:

    @FAT32 said:

    $0.95/yr
    VIRTUALIZATION OpenVZ – 1 GIGABIT
    RAM 512MB DEDICATED RAM
    CPU 1x FAIR SHARE CPU vCORE
    HDD 15GB SSD (RAID 10)
    BANDWIDTH 500GB BANDWIDTH
    LOCATION BUFFALO, NY LOCATION
    IPs 1 DEDICATED IPv4
    

    OMG How did I miss this one :(

    You must have been weak and slept sometime during the 4 day Black Friday to Cyber Monday period.

    I think I did :D

    Thanked by 1RedSox
  • uptimeuptime Member

    I think I placed at least two orders while asleep

    Thanked by 2cybertech Yura

    the Amitz.party lives on!

  • @uptime said:
    I think I placed at least two orders while asleep

    You actually slept?

    Thanked by 1uptime

    Remember the value of LET is purely based on its traffic.

  • donlidonli Member

    @uptime said:
    I think I placed at least two orders while asleep

    That's still no excuse for those alpharacks purchases.

    Thanked by 2uptime dahartigan
  • uptimeuptime Member

    I am sleeping right now.

    WAKE UP SHEEPLE !!1!

    Thanked by 1dahartigan

    the Amitz.party lives on!

  • level6level6 Member

    @donli said:

    @uptime said:
    I think I placed at least two orders while asleep

    That's still no excuse for those alpharacks purchases.

    There's no excuse for hosting production stuff on AR. There's also no excuse for having high expectations from $5 VPS.

    I hope that a valuable lesson was learned by some of these AR customers - backup your %*$(

    Thanked by 1dahartigan

    That's not me.

  • @level6 said:

    @donli said:

    @uptime said:
    I think I placed at least two orders while asleep

    That's still no excuse for those alpharacks purchases.

    There's no excuse for hosting production stuff on AR. There's also no excuse for having high expectations from $5 VPS.

    I hope that a valuable lesson was learned by some of these AR customers - backup your %*$(

    If we all buy high-end VPS and expensive stuff for production, there would be no more low-end market to begin with. I want it cheap, I want it for production too, and I want it without backup for... whatever you meant I should backup. I like to live on the edge, live strong, live the moment with adrenaline, not knowing what tomorrow brings.

    Thanked by 3uptime dahartigan Ouji

    Fastmako (aff) - great VPS for your needs.

Sign In or Register to comment.