Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for free VPS hosting (Android build server)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for free VPS hosting (Android build server)

I know this does sound like quite a stretch, but let me set this straight in that I only need said build server for like six months to a year at most, i.e. a temporary VPS until I get things straight on my end. There are those who offer sponsorship for open-source projects and that's what I came here for. The reason why I'm asking as I have a limited internet connection and downloading sources is a chore to say the least, not to mention that I am unable to leave the computer running all the time with the build process at full blast as my folks are using said PC as well.

VZ Type: Any

Number of Cores: 2-4
RAM: at least 4GB
Disk Space:250-500GB
Disk Type: Any?

Bandwidth: Any
Port Speed: Any

DDoS Protection: Maybe?

Number of IPs: 1

Budget: None to nominal

Billing period: N/A

Comments

• If you are developing an open source project you should tell something about it.

Thanked by 2imok level6
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

Joined 3:52PM

• imokimok Member

250GB, DDoS protection and IP to build Android apps?

Would you please share the link to the repo?

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

You want for free a powerful vps to deploy an open project. You should reveal much more information about this project, or else, I doubt that you will find easy someone to "sponsor" you for a hidden secret...

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

Both @Neoon and my free KVM projects have forum registration date (mine is 3+ months, not sure about Neoon's) and activity requirements. Offering free resources has a huge potential for abuse, so there have to be some minimal barriers to prevent random abusers wrecking havoc. Besides, I'm not sure you'd be able to find someone able to give away those kind of specs for free.

I know @dahartigan has offered free resources before off of his idling machines. But with your registration date (today), no forum activity, and no idea who you are/what your project is all about (no public github project, etc.), that might also be unlikely. Good luck, but you're probably better off spinning up a local VM in virtual box or spending the ~$10 or so a month to get a VPS.

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire
    edited June 2019

Agree with others, I did some search and found some repositories on Github and threads on XDA Developers. If I am not wrong he is trying to port CyanogenMod to a specific device.

However, I didn't find anything particularly interesting (yet), maybe you can explain your roadmap in detail.

• edited June 2019

Whoopsie, sorry if I forgot to link to the project. Here's the repo you're asking:

https://github.com/huckleberrypie/android_device_quanta_narnia
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/development/wip-custom-rom-leapfrog-epic-cm-los-t3919642
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/general/leapfrog-epic-development-thread-t3284800
    https://github.com/mt8127

And yeah I'm sorry if I showed up like a mushroom here, but FAT32 was right as the LeapFrog Epic port of CM12, or at least my attempt thereof, is of my doing. As far as the roadmap is concerned, short-term would be to just get an altetnative OS to boot in order to repurpose the Epic e.g. one that your little brother outgrew; a stretch goal would be to compile a custom kernel from the sources LeapFrog provided a few years ago, though that may also need some work. I can deal with that later though.

@MasonR I do completely understand that you don't just hand over server usage rights to random people given its potential for abusive activity. But rest be assured I'd make good use of it, given the chance.

Thanked by 2MasonR kyawhtun2012

huckleberrypie said: @MasonR I do completely understand that you don't just hand over server usage rights to random people given its potential for abusive activity. But rest be assured I'd make good use of it, given the chance.

Thanks for providing your repo and xda forum links. After seeing that, I'm more inclined to waive the registration/activity requirements. If 4GB of RAM isn't a hard requirement, I may have an open slot on my US node that you could utilize. Can let you know in a few days after I get the currently available slots allocated. Might be able to do 2 vCPU / 3GB RAM / 300GB HDD / 1TB @ 1Gbps / 1 IPv4, if that works.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@MasonR said:
    Both @Neoon and my free KVM projects have forum registration date (mine is 3+ months, not sure about Neoon's) and activity requirements. Offering free resources has a huge potential for abuse, so there have to be some minimal barriers to prevent random abusers wrecking havoc. Besides, I'm not sure you'd be able to find someone able to give away those kind of specs for free.

True, you would end up with a high abuse rate and likely deadpool like cc resellers.
    Give it a few weeks and you are done.

These Requirements keep these issues to 95-98% away me, so I do not need to bother that much about getting abuses also not the people who sponsor these locations.

This year, we got over 50 running VM's and no abuse so far.

• JackHJackH Member

@MasonR said:

huckleberrypie said: @MasonR I do completely understand that you don't just hand over server usage rights to random people given its potential for abusive activity. But rest be assured I'd make good use of it, given the chance.

Thanks for providing your repo and xda forum links. After seeing that, I'm more inclined to waive the registration/activity requirements. If 4GB of RAM isn't a hard requirement, I may have an open slot on my US node that you could utilize. Can let you know in a few days after I get the currently available slots allocated. Might be able to do 2 vCPU / 3GB RAM / 300GB HDD / 1TB @ 1Gbps / 1 IPv4, if that works.

Building Android is a painful and sluggish experience and can pin CPU cores for several hours. If you do this it might be worth putting a cap on the CPU usage and checking that you definitely have the RAM as it will be eaten. The later versions of Android compile much more efficiently, but in my experience you will still find yourself with a toasty CPU :'-)

Thanked by 1MasonR

@JackH said:

@MasonR said:

Building Android is a painful and sluggish experience and can pin CPU cores for several hours. If you do this it might be worth putting a cap on the CPU usage and checking that you definitely have the RAM as it will be eaten. The later versions of Android compile much more efficiently, but in my experience you will still find yourself with a toasty CPU :'-)

Thanks for the tip! Shouldn't be an issue, I don't think. I had somebody on there doing video encoding stuff for awhile without any issues. CPU is a E3-1240v3, so it's decently powered and CPU utilization as a whole on the node is typically quite low. Memory is dedicated, so that should be fine as well. Would, of course, monitor the situation and put artificial limits if it becomes an issue :)

Thanked by 1JackH
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

You should try to find the 100$ or so for a 2nd hand 4 core, 4 GB, 250 - 500 GB disk PC.
    Why? Because a developer without his own gear is like a dentist without chair and tools.
    And, Pardon my being frank, that kind of money is easily and quickly earned even by a developer with mediocre abilities.

As for "my inet connection is poor", well, there's classical snail mail to transport e.g. a DVD with what you need. I don't doubt that it would be easy to find a friendly soul with a fast connection downloading the Android kit and snail mailing it to you.

Oh, and: "Disk Space:250-500GB"? What kind of very special Android kit/sources (and tools) you work with? I have that plus quite some more on VMs < 100 GB.

Thanked by 1JackH
  • JackHJackH Member

@jsg said:
    You should try to find the 100$ or so for a 2nd hand 4 core, 4 GB, 250 - 500 GB disk PC.
    Why? Because a developer without his own gear is like a dentist without chair and tools.
    And, Pardon my being frank, that kind of money is easily and quickly earned even by a developer with mediocre abilities.

As for "my inet connection is poor", well, there's classical snail mail to transport e.g. a DVD with what you need. I don't doubt that it would be easy to find a friendly soul with a fast connection downloading the Android kit and snail mailing it to you.

Oh, and: "Disk Space:250-500GB"? What kind of very special Android kit/sources (and tools) you work with? I have that plus quite some more on VMs < 100 GB.

Depends how many AOSP branches he's using/playing with. I'm sure you're aware how large the source can get, especially once you factor in headroom for compilation intermediates.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@JackH said:
    Depends how many AOSP branches he's using/playing with. I'm sure you're aware how large the source can get, especially once you factor in headroom for compilation intermediates.

That's right. But it's also right that "250 - 500 GB disk" boils down to "I can't be bothered to download only one or a few at a time. Let's make that the problem of the guy who provides the free VPS".

And anyway, a developer (of any significance whatsoever) with but a shared family PC? Is he 12 or what? (I and many other developers have got their first (2nd. hand) PCs from people for whom they solved a problem).

• Why not use CI?

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

@sayem314 said:
    Why not use CI?

Which runs on magical hardware made out of thin air?

• @FHR said:

@sayem314 said:
    Why not use CI?

Which runs on magical hardware made out of thin air?

I build iOS apps on CI. It takes around 5 min to build ao I don’t care if it’s magical hardware made out of thin air.

• JackHJackH Member

-_-

• @MasonR said:

@JackH said:

@MasonR said:

Thanks for the tip! Shouldn't be an issue, I don't think. I had somebody on there doing video encoding stuff for awhile without any issues. CPU is a E3-1240v3, so it's decently powered and CPU utilization as a whole on the node is typically quite low. Memory is dedicated, so that should be fine as well. Would, of course, monitor the situation and put artificial limits if it becomes an issue :)

Yep 4GB is what I need for now if you do have a slot for one. And while it is indeed ststem intensive at least it isn't like I'm going to mine coins on your nodes either.

@huckleberrypie said:

@MasonR said:

@JackH said:

@MasonR said:

Yep 4GB is what I need for now if you do have a slot for one. And while it is indeed ststem intensive at least it isn't like I'm going to mine coins on your nodes either.

Okie dokes. Let me see what I can carve out. I'll be in touch.

• @MasonR said:

Okie dokes. Let me see what I can carve out. I'll be in touch.

Thanks mate. :)

• akhfaakhfa Member

@huckleberrypie said:
    Whoopsie, sorry if I forgot to link to the project. Here's the repo you're asking:

https://github.com/huckleberrypie/android_device_quanta_narnia
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/development/wip-custom-rom-leapfrog-epic-cm-los-t3919642
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/general/leapfrog-epic-development-thread-t3284800
    https://github.com/mt8127

And yeah I'm sorry if I showed up like a mushroom here, but FAT32 was right as the LeapFrog Epic port of CM12, or at least my attempt thereof, is of my doing. As far as the roadmap is concerned, short-term would be to just get an altetnative OS to boot in order to repurpose the Epic e.g. one that your little brother outgrew; a stretch goal would be to compile a custom kernel from the sources LeapFrog provided a few years ago, though that may also need some work. I can deal with that later though.

@MasonR I do completely understand that you don't just hand over server usage rights to random people given its potential for abusive activity. But rest be assured I'd make good use of it, given the chance.

Why don't you try Travis CI? You can use it for free because you have opensource project
    https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/languages/android/

I don't know what is your build requirements though

• @akhfa said:

Why don't you try Travis CI? You can use it for free because you have opensource project

Are you sure it can build complete ROMs?

• akhfaakhfa Member

@huckleberrypie said:

@akhfa said:

Not sure actually. But afaik you also can install any dependencies to finish your build process. I think it is worth to try ;)

• @akhfa said:

@huckleberrypie said:

@akhfa said:

Not sure actually. But afaik you also can install any dependencies to finish your build process. I think it is worth to try ;)

I dunno man, maybe I'd bother with Travis once I get the ROM to at least boot up to the UI.