Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Webapp powered with global cdn: Server location matters?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Webapp powered with global cdn: Server location matters?

sirluissirluis Member

Server location matters for a webapp using websockets for real time data and a global cdn like cloudflare?
E.g. my public are most in latam and my api server in Europe, latency is ~250ms...

Tks

Comments

• hzrhzr Member

you will be using cloudflare business or higher, correct?

• @hzr said:
    you will be using cloudflare business or higher, correct?

Free tier, can I get any benefit on business plan for this usecase?

• hzrhzr Member

sirluis said: Free tier

Anything websocket = do not use free tier

• mrclownmrclown Member
    edited June 2019

Server location matter for real time data and most traditional CDN are more meaningful for static/big files.

You won't get much benefits for real time data via cloudflare. But if not real time but just API with dynamic data, choose higher tier or select more optimized CDN since you aren't going to consume much bandwidth.

Thanked by 1sirluis
  • datanoisedatanoise Member
    edited June 2019

I'd be you i'd forget the CDN for this scenario and use a good provider in Florida or elsewhere on the US East Coast. You'd have good latency to south america, as well as good latency to US and EU. If their network is good there will be no congestion and it should work well everywhere. To latam CF free will use LA & Miami. A good provider in MIA would probably be better. There is direct fiber to southern EU from Miami: Florida can be a great option if you have listeners from Spain as well.

• imokimok Member

For latam, Dallas or Miami would work great.