Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Server Management - $2+
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Server Management - $2+

Hello,

I am starting a server management company and would like your guys ideas/tips.

My plan is to start a server management company which offers one-time installation/management and uptime management.

For the server management we plan on offering software installation on both Windows and Linux operating systems.

Operating System installation would also be offered which would support Windows, Linux and other OS's such as VMWare ESXi which are designed for virtualisation.

The pricing for software installation would start at $2 which would be something like Webmin and would range upto $15 for something like SolusVM with full configuration.

Operating system installs would range from $10 - $20 depending on the system.

Uptime Management would consist of uptime reporting, so basically the client would pay a small fee and we would monitor the uptime of their server. We would send out emails if the server was to go down and possibly setup text message/call service. Depending on what was ordered we would also investigate the downtime and try fix this issue.

I would appreciate your thoughts, I understand this isn't for everyone but I think it is a good market to go into.

Comments

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2013

Don't see how those prices would be sustainable.

• IshaqIshaq Member
    edited October 2013

I don't want to burst your bubble, it sounds interesting.. however there a lot of monitoring services that offer this with automatic emails and alerts for free?

Edit: I'm talking about the uptime management. Not the server management.

• @perennate said:
    Don't see how those prices would be sustainable.

I am sure that at this price it would be popular. I will be spending the next week creating .sh files so I can automate most of the stuff on Linux and creating my own packages for Windows.

Most of this would be automated so it would be a quick job.

@Ishaq said:
    I don't want to burst your bubble, it sounds interesting.. however there a lot of monitoring services that offer this with automatic emails and alerts for free?

Edit: I'm talking about the uptime management. Not the server management.

I understand other companies offer this for free, I am planning on doing the same for the general uptime reporting.

I will be offering a a paid version for people who own colocated hardware, as long as they have the right hardware i.e. Managed Switches, PDU's and IPMI. If they had these features then we would be able to see what the issue is and get the server back online.

• Offer a clustered/Saas of Nagios/Icinga/Zabbix.

• @blergh_ said:
    Offer a clustered/Saas of Nagios/Icinga/Zabbix.

Hmm... That's a decent idea. I'll have a look into that.