Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cogent or Telia
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cogent or Telia

serverhoshserverhosh Member, Host Rep

Cogent or Telia.. Which one would be the Best Transit for USA and Eu Routing. They offer same pricing though. But bit confused to pick any of them.

Comments

• YuraYura Member

Telia. Less letters, less latency.

Thanked by 2brueggus techhelper1
  • SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2019

Cogent only wins in price usually.

NTT, gtt, Telia, .... Cogent, he.

Thanked by 1techhelper1
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

How you can even compare this.

Also, if Cogent gives you the same price as Telia, they are overcharging you. Badly.

Thanked by 2malek techhelper1
  • serverhoshserverhosh Member, Host Rep

@Clouvider said:

Also, if Cogent gives you the same price as Telia, they are overcharging you. Badly.

You are saying Cogent should be lower than Telia?? Both gave us 12 Months Terms.

• pikepike Veteran

Telia is considered more premium than Cogent from what I know.

Thanked by 1techhelper1
  • LyphiardLyphiard Member, Host Rep

@Clouvider said:

Or Telia gave him one hell of a good deal.

@Lyphiard said:

@Clouvider said:

Or Telia gave him one hell of a good deal.

Nah, Telia wouldn’t match Cogent.

If you’re leaning towards Cogent, OP, then push the price down, you shouldn’t be paying for what effectively is worse quality the same amount of money. Negotiate. Isn’t that what business is all about ?

Thanked by 1techhelper1

@SplitIce said:
    Cogent only wins in price usually.

NTT, gtt, Telia, .... Cogent, he.

You’d be surprised of the unusually nice routes you can get to some places with TATA. From Customer service perspective and delivery no one beats the team that worked with us from TATA and if you look at our upstreams, it’s not our first rodeo. Recommended :-).

Case study https://www.tatacommunications.com/customer-story/clouvider/

@Clouvider I only rank those I have experiences with.

I'll be getting some experience with tisparkle soon, we are getting them across the board.

My main gripe with Telia is unplanned maintenance's. Although GTT is pretty bad for that too.

@SplitIce said:
    @Clouvider I only rank those I have experiences with.

I'll be getting some experience with tisparkle soon, we are getting them across the board.

My main gripe with Telia is unplanned maintenance's. Although GTT is pretty bad for that too.

Fair, I was only adding to your post :-).

I’m surprised to hear re: unplanned maintenances. We always get a notice from them at least days if not weeks before, could it be there was some hardware issue on the router you’re connected to perhaps?

• RazzaRazza Member
    edited June 2019

@Clouvider said:
    You’d be surprised of the unusually nice routes you can get to some places with TATA.

India I take not seen many provider with TATA in the mix.

Clouvider said: could it be there was some hardware issue on the router you’re connected to perhaps?

I can't say I know for sure one way or another.

GTT's was due to faulty hardware / configuration though. I guess not entirely their fault, just annoying.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

Cogent should be several times cheaper. They always try to overcharge badly.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@FHR said:
    Cogent should be several times cheaper. They always try to overcharge badly.

Indeed. But with a good amount of negotiations and a bigger quantity, you can strike a hell of a deal.

Thanked by 1kmas
  • First-RootFirst-Root Member, Host Rep

Usually you can get them down to 1/2 of their initial offer. We have both in our mix and it depends. If you just want to run bgp and let bgp select the best paths on his own you want to go with telia. If you are able to optimize your routes cogent can be a good addition to your network.

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

I have Cogent in my blend through my upstream and no, it's not a good addition to a mix performance wise (in fact, trying my hardest to get rid of it). It's cheap at least though.

• Try avoiding Cogent when possible. The performance will be way worse than Telia.

edited June 2019

@FHR said:
    I have Cogent in my blend through my upstream and no, it's not a good addition to a mix performance wise (in fact, trying my hardest to get rid of it). It's cheap at least though.

We prepend them 3 times at their peerings with community, and in addition to that we prepend our AS 5 times to them on outbound. On inbound we localpref them below other transits and just increase preference for Cogent Customers, using informational communities.

That works in a way where Cogent is beneficial in the mix - i.e. you don't have a problem reaching Cogent single homed Customers when Cogent's peering with another network is saturated. We basically treat this transit as if it would have been a private peering, but with ability to use full table in case of an emergency.

Thanked by 3FHR uptime techhelper1
    edited June 2019

@FHR said:

We monitor the top 40k prefixes (for our asn) for ping / loss and throughput and there are plenty destination networks where cogent is better then telia, believe it or not. But as I said, if you are unable to monitor and adjust routing (being single homed for example) don't touch cogent.

Thanked by 1uptime

@SplitIce said:

Clouvider said: could it be there was some hardware issue on the router you’re connected to perhaps?

I can't say I know for sure one way or another.

GTT's was due to faulty hardware / configuration though. I guess not entirely their fault, just annoying.

So in our case, we get an email with announcement, then another one with a reminder closer to the date, then another email that they are about to start, then another email when they complete, so basically each instance where they are at risk or plan to be down involves 4 emails.

If you're not getting this, then perhaps the account manager didn't subscribe you to the relevant notifications for some reason. Perhaps worth reaching out to them and see what's up. In any case, I hope it gets better for you! Unannounced maintenance is not acceptable, unless reasonable, like a line card failure or similar, which naturally can't be foreseen.

edited June 2019

@Clouvider

is TATA pricing like telia?

• cociucociu Member

Clouvider said: So in our case, we get an email with announcement, then another one with a reminder closer to the date, then another email that they are about to start, then another email when they complete, so basically each instance where they are at risk or plan to be down involves 4 emails.

same here.

Thanked by 1Clouvider

FR_Michael said: @Clouvider

It's competitive is all I can say I'm afraid :(
    They can be aggressive though when they see a growth potential.

I have a good account manager, happy to share his details via PM, I'm sure he can sort out a great offer =)

Thanked by 1pike

@Clouvider said:

FR_Michael said: @Clouvider

It's competitive is all I can say I'm afraid :(
    They can be aggressive though when they see a growth potential.

I have a good account manager, happy to share his details via PM, I'm sure he can sort out a great offer =)

please share through pm. ordered our DEC-IX link on friday but always interested to improve our asia connectivity .

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited June 2019

Clouvider said: It's competitive is all I can say I'm afraid

I doubt you signed an NDA and are just being assholeish here. I certainly never signed one to not disclose pricing.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

William said: I doubt you signed an NDA and are just being assholeish here. I certainly never signed one to not disclose pricing.

NDA is typically included in many transit contracts in the US.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
    edited June 2019

@William said:

Clouvider said: It's competitive is all I can say I'm afraid

I doubt you signed an NDA and are just being assholeish here. I certainly never signed one to not disclose pricing.

I can see you’re jealous.

Assholish, and frankly damaging to a relationship with you provider, would be to disclose any special pricing. It’s a very much dick move, NDA or not.

• hzrhzr Member

interestingly I've been demanded for an NDA just for a quote in the US, but in EU they just give me prices directly..

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited June 2019

qps said: NDA is typically included in many transit contracts in the US.

Neither i am nor CLouvider are in the US

Further my employer is way larger than you or Clouvider in transit usage.

Clouvider said: Assholish, and frankly damaging to a relationship with you provider, would be to disclose any special pricing. It’s a very much dick move, NDA or not.

They do not know who i am. I do not deal with this name with upstreams, i deal with my Israeli ID.