Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Easy start for mid range user / Cloudron like, automatic build setup, DIY heroku?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Easy start for mid range user / Cloudron like, automatic build setup, DIY heroku?

buzzyLETbuzzyLET Member

Hey guys, I have no problem getting my virtual environment set up (in fact on the job this was something I excelled at). On my home linux PCs I just install everything and configure anything as I need it. I have limited experience with docker or snap. I do not need something maybe as easy as Cloudron (and I hate that you have to pay for it) but more like an automated build script and setting up instances for my apps/updating them as needed? Snap seemed to do that but I don't know much about it. I am fine working in the terminal. I just want to set up some languages (Go, Ruby, etc) in a safe environment that I can manage app instances on. I am not a sysadmin and not well versed in security so I think running things as containers and managed by some system would be my best bet. I want to start off on the right foot instead of treating this like my home desktop and laptop.

Again I do not need something dead simple but something clean and easy that I can install apps into safe containers on and manage/update them and save my environment to be reproducible for later. I would also like to know if there is any self hosted Heroku like system so I do not have to jump around in terminals after pushing to a repo.

Please be kind! :)

Comments

• I would recommend to try out Docker Swarm or Kubernetes. Then you can run applications in container environments. Otherwise use ansible to automate your updates and stuff.

Nothing is easy in IT

• YuraYura Member

Look into HomelabOS script. It's not OS, just a bunch of scripts to install most selfhosted apps. Or use Kubernetes Helm or Ansible or Docker. Different learning curve for all of them, I don't know how much you are willing to learn.

• buzzyLETbuzzyLET Member
    edited June 2019

Hi, thanks so much for the options, I didn't even know where to start, so this gives me a great place to branch out!

I have used Docker before a little bit but I know that's not specifically for servers/self hosted apps and I was looking for something like a layer on top of that that made deployment and app isolation easy.

• Check some stuff posted by @leapswitch, basically you deploy whatever stack you want, including docker

Thanked by 1leapswitch
  • leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

@yokowasis said:
    Check some stuff posted by @leapswitch, basically you deploy whatever stack you want, including docker

Thank you for recommending us, especially today..

@buzzyLET please try our https://CloudJiffy.com PaaS for Dockers. You can choose platform (Go, Ruby, PHP, Java, Python, NodeJs or custom ), select DB, load Balancing, versions - major/minor and deploy your stack in 5 minutes. You can then deploy your project using a Git, SVN, SSH, FTP etc and go live immediately.

I would recommend signing up for a free video call with our solution experts so that they can guide you through the platform.

Ishan