Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need a VPS for sentiment analysis project (>300GB storage)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need a VPS for sentiment analysis project (>300GB storage)

salakissalakis Member
edited May 2019 in Requests

Hi everyone, I am currently looking for a VPS with a lot of storage, I'm guessing at least 300GB.

Location doesn't matter and same for the remaining specs, but I only need it for a month (maybe two, but that's it for sure).
NAT IPv4 is fine, but I will need IPv4 connectivity, so not IPv6-only.

I was on Scaleway (DEV-L, 80GB), but ran out of space and the other plans don't seem to match that well.

However, I also assume that I might have to utilize quite some CPU (single thread though) for a time.

Looking forward to any suggestions :) Budget is around 20 EUR, but can adapt if required.

Obviously, no shady things involved...

Comments

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited May 2019

might have to utilize quite some CPU (single thread though) for a time.

I'm guessing disk i/o may be an issue at some point - if not for you in terms of performance, then possibly for other users on a shared node

With that in mind, take a look at wishosting.com - especially their "hybrid" offers

for example (current "deal of the day") https://www.wishosting.com/order/main/packages/VPS/?group_id=7

May seem like overkill but better to have some headroom. (Perhaps @exception0x876 might give some advice as to a suitable selection for your project.)

There are likely to be plenty other options for your stated budget but wishosting seems like a good bet (and excellent value)

if you needed more than a month or two then might suggest kimsufi or other cheap dedi (but the setup fee for kimsufi makes it less atteactive for short-term)

also: lunanode.com has good "compute intensive" hourly-billed options - with expandable block storage - another excellent option to consider for the type of workload + storage requirement you describe.

and if eu location is preferable then might also take a look at hetzner cloud (hourly billed, and with block storage options)

• salakissalakis Member

@uptime said:

I'm guessing disk i/o may be an issue at some point - if not for you in terms of performance, then possibly for other users on a shared node

With that in mind, take a look at wishosting.com - especially their "hybrid" offers

That offer was too good to let it go, went for it, judging by the specs it should totally be sufficient, many thanks for the great advice!

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @uptime nice find! +1 for @exception0x876

Thanked by 1uptime
  • ps20090ps20090 Member

@uptime said:

for example (current "deal of the day") https://www.wishosting.com/order/main/packages/VPS/?group_id=7

May seem like overkill but better to have some headroom. (Perhaps @exception0x876 might give some advice as to a suitable selection for your project.)

There are likely to be plenty other options for your stated budget but wishosting seems like a good bet (and excellent value)

if you needed more than a month or two then might suggest kimsufi or other cheap dedi (but the setup fee for kimsufi makes it less atteactive for short-term)

also: lunanode.com has good "compute intensive" hourly-billed options - with expandable block storage - another excellent option to consider for the type of workload + storage requirement you describe.

and if eu location is preferable then might also take a look at hetzner cloud (hourly billed, and with block storage options)

Thanks for answering the question so nicely, You are so awesome! I entered this thread to try to help maybe, but learnt new stuff from you. Thanks

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited May 2019

ps20090 said: Thanks for answering the question so nicely

likewise, thanks for the kind words @ps20090 :blush:

I've found so many great deals on LET thanks to other posters and enjoy comparing notes on the many decent providers that stick their neck out to serve us here.

Hope you'll add your input as well. I think I have not yet seen even half of what can be learned here.

• williewillie Member

Use a dedi for crying out loud. Try the current i3 Kimsufi flash sale. It should be faster than just about any vps at anywhere near the price.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited May 2019

@willie - would generally agree about using dedi for cpu intensive tasks however consider ...

• kimsufi setup fee
    • short duration of project
    • $20/month budget
    • single core performance needed

so it's not clear whether (cheap) dedi is the best way to go here

(seems like the wishosting "v-dedicated" deal is essentially same i3-2130 ihardware as the KS-7 but without the setup fee so could go either way depending on how many months it's going to be used)

that said, for affordable dedis without setup fee:

first would check with DrServer:

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/157589/ssd-dedicated-server-at-13-mo/p1

the one mentioned for $13/month in that thread is:

Intel® Atom™ C2750 (4-Core, 2.4GHz) 8GB DDR3 200GB SSD

(in Dallas) (I have a similar one with 16 GB ram and 2 TB HDD also under $20 from DrServer)

Then might also look for an ancient "core 2 duo" (or quad) pentium from nocix.net (or wholesaleinternet) for $10 or $15 per month - in Missouri

quickpacket might still offer something for $25 in Los Angeles (the packets are indeed quick but the i3 530 @ 2.93 GHz is not exactly a speed demon)

and might also check dacentec

so far, all things considered, I'd probably go with the wishosting deal based on the requirements as stated - still I'd certainly be interested to know more/better options for single core performance ...

EDIT2: Ach du meine Güte!

I forgot to check Hetzner server auctions ... https://www.hetzner.com/sb

At the moment, there seems to be available one i7-3770 with 16 gb ram and 2 x 2 TB hdd for €21.85 per month, no setup fee

just a bit over the stated budget of $20 but ... yeah, okay.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • poissonpoisson Member

Maybe Contabo SSD series might be a good compromise in terms of cost.