Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

reliable provider in NY/NJ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

reliable provider in NY/NJ?

lpnlpn Member

I have been out of the loop for quite some time now, so here it goes: what are the reliable providers in NY/NJ area besides BuyVM and RamNode (I have both them already)? No other requirements rather than that the provider should be reliable and should have been around for a while.

Comments

• Vultr

Thanked by 1desperand
  • For dedi - ReliableSite (Choopa network) is pretty nice and affordable.
    For VPS - nfoservers (inap network) and vultr (choopa network).

• donlidonli Member

HostHatch

VPSes in Equinix NY2 data center

Just had 8th year anniversary.

• GattoGatto Member

@t0ny0 said:
    For dedi - ReliableSite (Choopa network) is pretty nice and affordable.

+1 for ReliableSite. Just make sure to test all the hardware before you put a server on prodution. Also, their network is not Choopa anymore, they built a new one with AS23470. (There are servers in the "old" Choopa network but they will be eventually migrated I think)

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • uptimeuptime Member

NY/NJ area

if that might include Philadelphia, @launchvps is solid

Thanked by 1launchvps
  • @Gatto said:

@t0ny0 said:
    For dedi - ReliableSite (Choopa network) is pretty nice and affordable.

+1 for ReliableSite. Just make sure to test all the hardware before you put a server on prodution. Also, their network is not Choopa anymore, they built a new one with AS23470. (There are servers in the "old" Choopa network but they will be eventually migrated I think)

Actually - yes, they are on a new network, I just noticed that none of my traffic is going through choopa anymore. But still a pretty nice blend of providers.
    What kind of issues have you been running into using their servers? I have had mine go down twice this past week (and I got it a week or so ago), and was told that its due to a "temporary network issue", so hopefully it will not be something that will happen often.

@uptime said:

NY/NJ area

if that might include Philadelphia, @launchvps is solid

+1 for @launchvps - a really nice provider, great support and even better network from what I have seen :-) Its exactly 4ms away from reliablesite server, so if < 5ms extra latency works - thats a great choice.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Our network in NJ (Choopa) has been pretty solid.

• @KuJoe said:

It would have been awesome if you had KVM out of it as well :-( Its currently ovz only, correct?

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2019

@t0ny0 said:

@KuJoe said:

It would have been awesome if you had KVM out of it as well :-( Its currently ovz only, correct?

@t0ny0 said:

@KuJoe said:

Correct, we only offer KVM in Tampa at the moment.

• SmartHostSmartHost Patron Provider, Veteran

We have a location in Piscataway NJ, and it's been been rock solid there for over 5 years now.

Thanked by 2sin IonSwitch_Stan
  • ErnieErnie Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited May 2019

We have a location in Secaucus, NJ in INAPs NJ004 facility.

Our mix is solid there.

We offer both KVM and OpenVZ VPS there, hybrid and dedicated servers. If I can be of any assistance please let me know!

• -1 for ReliableSite. Total misnomer. Saw a lot of unplanned downtime when we were with them.

Quadranet has solid NJ dedicated boxes and a good network. 100% uptime in the past 75 days.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • TomzTomz Member

@NodePing said:
    -1 for ReliableSite. Total misnomer. Saw a lot of unplanned downtime when we were with them.

Quadranet has solid NJ dedicated boxes and a good network. 100% uptime in the past 75 days.

I just traced Quadranet NJ ip and got as result Zayo as Transit !

@Tomz said:

I just traced Quadranet NJ ip and got as result Zayo as Transit !

Our Piscataway site has Zayo as well, if that is important to you.

• PureVoltagePureVoltage Member, Patron Provider

We have space in NYC however we are currently more focused on custom dedicated servers and colocation. We should have a VPS refresh later this year.

• ndelaespadandelaespada Member, Host Rep

We provide vps services out of NYC, check us out!

• MrRadicMrRadic Patron Provider, Veteran

@NodePing said:
    -1 for ReliableSite. Total misnomer. Saw a lot of unplanned downtime when we were with them.

Shoot me an e-mail at [email protected]. I can guarantee you, things have significantly changed with our network.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • HostEONSHostEONS Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2019

We are offering KVM VPS in NY (InterNAP) along with free Direct Admin control panel - https://my.hosteons.com/announcements/120/Free-Direct-Admin-License-now-Available-with-most-of-our-VPS-Packages.html for info about Direct Admin and to order https://hosteons.com/vps.php

• KrisKris Member

Look for someone in Secaucus NJ / Equinix NY2 or alike.

That's where digital ocean's latest 'NYC' data center is from what I've heard. Also have stuff there and no power or issues ever. Whoever is there is pretty legit.

Interserver is also down the road.

Otherwise any brand you're going with be it ReliableSite, anyone on here is going to be in Piscataway - and getting space likely from choopa dba gameservers, constant, vultr, etc.

The NJ Network was slap-dash when I was there, but it looks like they dropped that network guy and it's gotten more stable since.

Thanked by 2sin uptime
  • sinsin Member

@Kris said:
    Look for someone in Secaucus NJ / Equinix NY2 or alike.

That's where digital ocean's latest 'NYC' data center is from what I've heard. Also have stuff there and no power or issues ever. Whoever is there is pretty legit.

Interserver is also down the road.

Otherwise any brand you're going with be it ReliableSite, anyone on here is going to be in Piscataway - and getting space likely from choopa dba gameservers, constant, vultr, etc.

The NJ Network was slap-dash when I was there, but it looks like they dropped that network guy and it's gotten more stable since.

You always provide great info on here :)

Thanked by 1Kris
  • KrisKris Member

I just live here.

NJ isn't saturated as much as stuff like LA is.

At the same time everyone's tired of NYC bullshit Manhattan pricing and pivoting to the whole 'NYC Metro' angle I coined back when at HVH. Unless you're a stock trader and fractions of ms. matter, there's no reason to be in Manhattan. Especially in NYC which is below sea level, which we learned in 2012.

A handful of HVH servers at the time were in NJ, but that's not glamorous sounding despite being miles from NYC, so I started labeling stuff in Secaucus, etc. as 'NYC Metro'

Anyway, NJ isn't full of web hosts any longer. My favorite place NAC.net was sold to Cologix, one of the last 'good places' in NJ. They were a dial-up carrier in the 90's so they had a ton of transit and interconnected locations while others were limping along with 1-2 or transit blends max.

Beyond Cologix / Clifton, you have Dave A's brand of companies all hosted in Piscataway which all have their own niche, and the hosts that use his company for VPS, etc to colocate.

No one's really beyond there or in South NJ as it's the sticks and no good connectivity until Philadelphia.

Finally, Linode is around and has connectivity around at an old NAC data center in Newark and the latest DO (I think NYC4?) is actually at a Secaucus Equinix location.

Thanked by 3sin uptime jonathan
  • level6level6 Member

@Kris said:
    I just live here.

At the same time everyone's tired of NYC bullshit Manhattan pricing and pivoting to the whole 'NYC Metro' angle I coined back when at HVH. Unless you're a stock trader and fractions of ms. matter, there's no reason to be in Manhattan. Especially in NYC which is below sea level, which we learned in 2012.

A handful of HVH servers at the time were in NJ, but that's not glamorous sounding despite being miles from NYC, so I started labeling stuff in Secaucus, etc. as 'NYC Metro'

Anyway, NJ isn't full of web hosts any longer. My favorite place NAC.net was sold to Cologix, one of the last 'good places' in NJ. They were a dial-up carrier in the 90's so they had a ton of transit and interconnected locations while others were limping along with 1-2 or transit blends max.

Beyond Cologix / Clifton, you have Dave A's brand of companies all hosted in Piscataway which all have their own niche, and the hosts that use his company for VPS, etc to colocate.

No one's really beyond there or in South NJ as it's the sticks and no good connectivity until Philadelphia.

Finally, Linode is around and has connectivity around at an old NAC data center in Newark and the latest DO (I think NYC4?) is actually at a Secaucus Equinix location.

Great info!

• donlidonli Member
    edited June 2019

@Kris said:

Ah ha! Now we know who to blame for New Jersey being called NYC.

OpenDataCenters is in Piscataway as well.

• desperanddesperand Member
    edited June 2019

t0ny0 said: nfoservers

no, they have a lot of problems.
    A lot of Asians can't connect, they ban whole ASNs on their side and /networks, also Brazilians too, and South Americans too. Used them for a long time, can confirm this. What about performance - great, but hdd killing me. Network for EU and North America - also great. But for any other region of our planet - it depends, and has problems as I said above. Latency was great too.

@Kris said:
    I just live here.

So there's a lot of inaccurate information.

1. Piscataway has at least 6 different major data centers (QTS, 2 x Digital Realty, Open Data Centers, etc). The Dave A brands are in the QTS data center. They utilize a very very small part of the overall data center. This is one of QTS "mega" data centers. I would highly recommend touring the facility, it's by far the most impressive one I've ever seen.

2. Los Angeles isn't saturated, there's just a lack of data centers. CoreSite has LA1 and LA2 (soon to be LA3). There's maybe 2 other legitimate data centers in downtown LA, and everything else is just converted floors pretending to be data centers (I've personally toured them, and if people knew where their servers were actually sitting, they would RUN). New Jersey has 10x, if not 30x the physical amount of data centers within 15 miles of NYC.

Thanked by 2uptime PureVoltage
  • I've seen the term "Dave A brands" used twice now. Can someone please shed some light on that?

Is this the owner of Vultr/Constant/Reliable Servers, etc. who rents space in the QTS datacenter?

I've used some of these and noticed that the same support team appears to handle all of the tickets. I should also mention that I'm quite impressed by their service and network. Just curious how the whole thing works with all of the separate companies!

@aj_potc said:
    I've seen the term "Dave A brands" used twice now. Can someone please shed some light on that?

Is this the owner of Vultr/Constant/Reliable Servers, etc. who rents space in the QTS datacenter?

I've used some of these and noticed that the same support team appears to handle all of the tickets. I should also mention that I'm quite impressed by their service and network. Just curious how the whole thing works with all of the separate companies!

Yes, all the same company.

• KrisKris Member
    edited June 2019

Hello,

MrRadic said: Los Angeles isn't saturated, there's just a lack of data centers. CoreSite has LA1 and LA2 (soon to be LA3). There's maybe 2 other legitimate data centers in downtown LA, and everything else is just converted floors pretending to be data centers (I've personally toured them, and if people knew where their servers were actually sitting, they would RUN). New Jersey has 10x, if not 30x the physical amount of data centers within 15 miles of NYC.

I'm actually on the ground in NJ. QTS is a very large data center in Piscataway.

I think you were originally located in Connecticut, and your base operations (where you actually run things) is out of Miami.

You get your colocation directly from Choopa, has that changed? Very close relationship from what I've heard.

aj_potc said: I've seen the term "Dave A brands" used twice now. Can someone please shed some light on that?

They're all owned by the same company and individual. Constant.com is a more quality brand, GameServers has their niche, etc, etc. Vultr is a little startup that exploded in popularity and now is their bread and butter.

MrRadic said: Los Angeles isn't saturated, there's just a lack of data centers. CoreSite has LA1 and LA2 (soon to be LA3). There's maybe 2 other legitimate data centers in downtown LA, and everything else is just converted floors pretending to be data centers (I've personally toured them, and if people knew where their servers were actually sitting, they would RUN). New Jersey has 10x, if not 30x the physical amount of data centers within 15 miles of NYC.

I know LA and One Wilshire very well. LA is over saturated and not a niche area. You have Quadranet in the One Wilshire "Annex" and all of the companies who actually have money and want good infrastructure hosted directly in One Wilshire.

Depending on the floor it's either very hot in the OW Annex, or very good looking. Everyone and their sister has a VPS / server in LA for Asia traffic. If you're trying to tell me that LA isn't an over saturated market, you don't know that market very well.

• KrisKris Member
    edited June 2019

aj_potc said: I've used some of these and noticed that the same support team appears to handle all of the tickets. I should also mention that I'm quite impressed by their service and network. Just curious how the whole thing works with all of the separate companies!

Yep, there's no point to go to some random other company who just is another no name in Piscataway when Choopa and Vultr kind of 'run things' and have a proper 24/7 support team. Sure you could get another company, but they'll be running things remotely with techs in different states just filing tickets to what Dave A's team could slack over.

I guess within the last few years everyone around the Piscataway area has jumped on the bandwagon of Fiber becoming available and calls themselves a data center. QTS is a proper data center, DRT looks proper, Open Data cetners looks cute - but wouldn't colo there.

None of you guys chose the best and premier data centers, understandably due to price, but QTS is pretty close and has some dinky IX's present (AMS IX NJ, woo!)

Clifton - former DedicatedNOW site, now Digital Realty

Secaucus Equinix (NY2, NY4, NY5, NY7, more than you can count)

Just saying Piscataway isn't exactly the pinnacle of data centers. It's in a crappy town, with fiber options. No IX's nearby besides ' Amsterdam Internet Exchange - NJ' so it can't hold a candle to Equinix with their MMR / NYIIX options, or even DRT.

It's cheap though, and reliable. Just don't call it one of the nicest data centers in NJ. It's self-serving at best.