Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

finalhosting down
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

finalhosting down

jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

finalhosting, all, their web site, their customer panel, my VPS, everything down.

A quick mtr shows that a "temp router" of bitency (who- or whatever that is) has a packet loss between 70% and 100%.

So far I'd just shrug and think "Well, that can happen to everyone". What really seriously pisses me off, though, is that CloudF'&!§ is in between me, the client, and finalhosting, the provider.

Dear finalhosting: please understand that a provider using CloudF'&!§ not only creates a very ugly dependency but also risks to be seen as a declaration of professional bankruptcy. Is your network and site so lousy and poor that CloudF'&!§ can make it significantly faster?

Get rid of that cancer or you'll lose customers.

Side note: Some cogent box also loses packets but less badly than bitency.

Comments

• Did AF striked again ?

• solairesolaire Member
    edited May 2019

Well, that escalated quickly. Anyway, lots of providers use CloudFlare and using a CDN has very little to do with network quality.

@jordynegen11

• AMXRTAMXRT Member

finalhosting finally down

• donlidonli Member

Yeah pinging their test ip ( 185.211.51.1 ) showed 75% packet loss while pinging their
    DDoS protected test IP ( 151.80.54.129 ) showed 100% loss.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

Based on my (short) experience I still think that finalhosting is a fine provider. The network outage was worth to be mentioned but maybe that's soon solved. Shit happens, even to the best. But them putting the CloudF'&!§ cancer between themselves and me seriously pisses me off.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@jsg said: But them putting the CloudF'&!§ cancer between themselves and me seriously pisses me off.

Let's add this to your review retroactively. :wink:

• donlidonli Member
    edited May 2019

https://status.finalhosting.nl/en/

Looks like some services are not working.

• uptimeuptime Member

I have filed a complaint with the EU.

Thanked by 2angstrom deank
  • donlidonli Member

I did the online chat with support and they said:

Hello, We have a giant DDoS attack incoming at the moment. We are working on it as week speak

Thanked by 1angstrom

Let's take hold of their servers!

edited May 2019

@angstrom said:

@jsg said: But them putting the CloudF'&!§ cancer between themselves and me seriously pisses me off.

Let's add this to your review retroactively. :wink:

Feel free to add it (quoting me if you like). If I was (as some "smart" idiot suggested) really shilling for finalhosting I wouldn't have created this thread here.

Nope, I was honest when I wrote my review and I'm honest now, clearly stating my dislike.

@donli said:
    I did the online chat with support and they said:

Hello, We have a giant DDoS attack incoming at the moment. We are working on it as week speak

I guess that CF couldn't help with this after all.

edited May 2019

@donli

finalhosting said:

Hmmm, that would match what I see looking at some involved networks. I see at least 2 other (major) european/global backbone networks with significant packet loss too (20 - 30%).

But I also see that CloudF'&!§ is utterly worthless. Any serious and professional provider should dump them.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • donlidonli Member

Things seem to be back to normal. Pings being answered 100% and status:

Looks like everything is operating normally.

https://status.finalhosting.nl/en/

edited May 2019

I'm pleased to call the alarm off. finalhosting is reachable and working again it seems.

And: CloudF'&!§ is utterly worthless. It didn't do any good during the DDOS.

Edit: ->

Edit 2: That was their status info. But now they are up and running again.

We can now all sleep peacefully tonight.

• donlidonli Member

@angstrom said:
    We can now all sleep peacefully tonight.

The end was not for final.

• uptimeuptime Member

tough crowd and a bitter pill ... as always, perhaps best taken with a grain of salt

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

jsg said: But I also see that CloudF'&!§ is utterly worthless

It's not completely worthless if a) you can set it up correctly b) your backend is not on the same infra that's down... I hate to say it, but CF saved my bacon during times like these.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • SkanderSkander Member

If they leaked their actual IPs and the DDOS targeted those, then yes CF is useless.

If you are fully behind CF and no origin IPs are being leaked you're more or less fine.

• alvinalvin Member

one more supplier has a problem...who's next

• @uptime said:
    tough crowd and a bitter pill ... as always, perhaps best taken with a grain of salt

A grain of potassium basalts.

Thanked by 2uptime dahartigan
  • uptimeuptime Member

always more than one way to fry potatoe I say

in all seriousness and with due respect to finalhosting, at least maybe better to get the immersive learning experience sooner rather than later - seems like they may yet emerge on the other side of this ddos muppetry hopefully a bit stronger / wiser for the trouble.

I want to say "good luck with your cloudflare" but ... feels bad man.

so, good luck with your good luck then - may this not be the final chapter - and may the spirit of Janevski's potassium-enriched potatoe guide you through all the bullshit.

Ramen.

Thanked by 2dahartigan Janevski
  • Hey everyone, listen. Do you hear? It's the shit-wind blowing.

Thanked by 2uptime dahartigan
  • @bugrakoc said:
    Hey everyone, listen. Do you hear? It's the shit-wind blowing.

Shit-barometer readings are off the charts sir!

Thanked by 1bugrakoc
  • ricardoricardo Member

uptime said: I have filed a complaint with the EU.

Their response

Thanked by 1uptime
  • Not arguing, it's a genuine question:

What is the problem with a hosting provider using Cloudflare for their website/customer control panel?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited May 2019

@bikegremlin said:
    Not arguing, it's a genuine question:

What is the problem with a hosting provider using Cloudflare for their website/customer control panel?

Plain is considered insure, thats why invented SSL, now called TLS.
    What it does, it encrypts the Transport Layer, so the content inside of it, is protected, does not matter if the content inside is plain or encrypted.

Now comes Cloudflare into the game, AntiDDoS (OSI Layer 7, application) does only work if it can look inside.
    What Cloudflare does, it breaks the End of End secured communication.

Means a 3rd party looks into your stuff, that you actually would securely communicate with your provider.
    TLDR: They break encryption.

And worse, it may look like a secure connection but the connection from cloudflare to the webserver may be even communicate in plain.

Just do not use Cloudflare.
    Still waiting for a Company that is getting sued for using it.

• Are you certain about that?

Because (correct me if my info is wrong) if the hosting server has SSL/TLS certificates installed, Cloudflare can be set up to connect using the secure connection to the hosting server. At least they claim so here:
    https://community.cloudflare.com/t/crypto-settings/53186

Do you know how to test this - if I know my (shared) hosting server IP address and (of course) my domain name?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@bikegremlin said:
    Are you certain about that?

Because (correct me if my info is wrong) if the hosting server has SSL/TLS certificates installed, Cloudflare can be set up to connect using the secure connection to the hosting server. At least they claim so here:
    https://community.cloudflare.com/t/crypto-settings/53186

Do you know how to test this - if I know my (shared) hosting server IP address and (of course) my domain name?

You can change the setting to secure yes, you can also change it to plain or accept invalid certificates. For a visitor, there is no chance to verify it.

For you, simply force TLS, and check the logs.
    If it does not work, Cloudflare will let you know.

Still a 3rd party looks on your data.
    Its not like, if you have not cloudflare infront, you getting hacked.

I never used cloudflare for any productive websites, never had issues.
    It just works, they make people fear, you need to use cloudflare or your site is slower or gets hacked faster, all bullshit.