Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New user here! Would you pay for this storage?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New user here! Would you pay for this storage?

StyxStyx Member

Hey guys. Im pretty new here on the forums. I happen to have a huge storage server, with close to 100TB storage. Alot of this is idling, and i want to know what you would pay for pure storage. Let me give 2 examples :

1. Storage vps (your own 6TB drive), 2cores, 2gb ram, shared gbit port with unlimited traffic. This will give you the full I/O of a HDD at any given moment, so the vps could be used for other things aswell

2. Pure FTP storage, in 1, 2, 5 and 10 TB capasities.

If i were to start selling those, what would you pay ? Server located in Germany (Yes, hetzner)

Not planning to run backups on this data, as the storage is ment to be an extra backup. Not planning to run this super serious, its just for covering some of the costs for my own needs.

Thank you for your feedback :)

Comments

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

I would consider it only if the drive space were Raided and if the price were very low as you are (still) an unknown.

• BopieBopie Member

I suppose everything comes down to price really on if you could offer something at a much cheaper rate then what people already offer.

• StyxStyx Member

@jsg said:
    I would consider it only if the drive space were Raided and if the price were very low as you are (still) an unknown.

I know i am a unknown, not planning to sell anything here either, as i am just a person and not a company.

I could do a option to have 2 drives raided in raid-1 for people who need this. What do you think it will be worth in money for the end user ?

• Best storage rate in a special sale is like 2.33$m for 1TB raided from someone well know.

• edfoxedfox Member

I'd expect 1fichier.com rates or lower. Or, as a generic vps, the price is usualli 10€/2tb

• hzrhzr Member

Styx said: I could do a option to have 2 drives raided in raid-1 for people who need this. What do you think it will be worth in money for the end user ?

I don't think redundancy is the problem here

Thanked by 1uptime
  • StyxStyx Member

@hzr said:

Styx said: I could do a option to have 2 drives raided in raid-1 for people who need this. What do you think it will be worth in money for the end user ?

Then what is the problem for you?

• hzrhzr Member

Resold hetzner from private individual is something I have seen many times and has inevitably resulted in something not ending well, or overzealous anti-abuse systems

• @Styx said:

@hzr said:

Then what is the problem for you?

Things like privacy, reliability, and maybe speed? Personally if I were looking for the best bang for the buck I wouldn't want redundancy either. An unknown service can only serve as a backup of a backup for me, or store even less important stuff (maybe even torrenting).

• StyxStyx Member

Again, this is just ment as pure storage. But i get your point. I have been using the server for web, games, torrents and so on (just private stuff) for around a year now. Not even a hickup

• hzrhzr Member

Styx said: Again, this is just ment as pure storage. But i get your point. I have been using the server for web, games, torrents and so on (just private stuff) for around a year now. Not even a hickup

Yes, this is part of the thing. Anyone that takes things seriously would not sign up because they don't want to share a "personal server" with such things, nor sign up with a individual reselling leftover space from their personal server.

Anyone that doesn't take things seriously would just torrent the shit out of your server uncaringly or do other forms of shitty behaviour

• edfoxedfox Member

@ben47955 said:
    Best storage rate in a special sale is like 2.33$m for 1TB raided from someone well know.

Who?

• StyxStyx Member

@hzr said:

Styx said: Again, this is just ment as pure storage. But i get your point. I have been using the server for web, games, torrents and so on (just private stuff) for around a year now. Not even a hickup

Yes, this is part of the thing. Anyone that takes things seriously would not sign up because they don't want to share a "personal server" with such things, nor sign up with a individual reselling leftover space from their personal server.

Anyone that doesn't take things seriously would just torrent the shit out of your server uncaringly or do other forms of shitty behaviour

Thats a good point. Still, im "aiming" this to the guy who need affordable storage, for example for running plex. Not to store super important files, if that makes sense.

I guess ill go on idling the extra drives, og start thinking about replacing it with a smaller server

• sanvitsanvit Member

@edfox said:

@ben47955 said:
    Best storage rate in a special sale is like 2.33$m for 1TB raided from someone well know.

Who?

I think he's talking about HostHatch $7/3TB Chicago plan

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited May 2019

@hzr said:

Well, for me it is an important criterion.

@Styx said:
    I could do a option to have 2 drives raided in raid-1 for people who need this. What do you think it will be worth in money for the end user ?

I do have a 2vCore, 1TB VPS with a very well reputed and excellent provider for less than 10€/mo. And I did that only because it's not just a dumb disk but also a reasonable VPS with some nice features (e.g. additional SSD space) and because I have a long and very good experience with them.

As for you it depends on the product. With you (whom I don't know at all) the VPS part is not important. 1 shared core and some memory would be good enough as I would consider it only as an "access layer" for the possibly (multi-) TB drive array.
    Another important consideration is that storage - and quite professional - can be had quite cheap nowadays (e.g. C14). But I would not go so far to demand you beating the 1fichier price as you offer a way better product. So all in all I guess you need to clearly beat C14 which means a price of 25€- 35€ per year per TB assuming that a small but reasonable VPS comes along with it, something like 1 shared core, 512 MB mem, traffic volume of min disk space x 3.
    Add a nice lure to that, like e.g. "Test 1 month for 1€" (before signing up for longer) and I might bite (if I still had a need).

TL;DR You must compensate for the fact of being completely unknown (e.g. by providing an attractive testing period) and you need to clearly beat the prices of players like C14.
    Is it worth the effort for a small "recover part of my expenses as I don't need all that power and space for myself" operation? Well, up to you.

• poissonpoisson Member

Well, I would consider it potentially for light seeding of long term torrents on private trackers to maintain ratio and points. Don't need raid, much CPU or memory; just disk space. Data loss is inconsequential because I would have already backed up the data; just need it running 24/7. Probably $2 per TB would work for me because I technically don't need it but at this price point for my requirements I don't mind taking some space.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Depends where and if it has Raid or not.

1.59€ is what Hetzner wants for 1TB, non raid.
    2-5€ should be decent for LET.

BuyVM sells 1TB for 5$, so yea 2-5€ and you get it sold.

• StyxStyx Member

So to make this host pay just a little of itself will be hard i guess. Already ordered a smaller server who can cover my needs, and im starting to move data as we speak. Thank you for all your feedback. :)

• poisson said: Well, I would consider it potentially for light seeding of long term torrents on private trackers to maintain ratio and points. Don't need raid, much CPU or memory; just disk space. Data loss is inconsequential because I would have already backed up the data; just need it running 24/7. Probably $2 per TB would work for me because I technically don't need it but at this price point for my requirements I don't mind taking some space.

This for me too.

• hzrhzr Member

Styx said: So to make this host pay just a little of itself will be hard i guess. Already ordered a smaller server who can cover my needs, and im starting to move data as we speak. Thank you for all your feedback. :)

To me, the problem is you are having to compete with hosts that do have economy of scale, have to beat hetzner's own pricing, etc. I don't know how much your time is worth, but for pennies I don't want to deal with that.

• StyxStyx Member

I mean, i could sell storage at a profit for around 3 euros / month each TB, the things is that i need to sell quite alot before it will benefit me. I ended up scaling far down to the specs i do need and use myself and cut my monthly payment in three now

• Question: why do you want this server?
    I'm sure you can downsize to something like 4x6TB i7 via hetzner auction (43-46 euro)

• StyxStyx Member
    edited May 2019

@vimalware said:
    Question: why do you want this server?
    I'm sure you can downsize to something like 4x6TB i7 via hetzner auction (43-46 euro)

I was using it to store ALOT of data. Backups, torrents and so on. I was at 94% capasity, and cleaned up things i didnt need after a year now, and turned out i really dont need that kind of storage any longer.

The server you mention is the one i got, though at 31 euros.

Also, i got a killer deal on the 15 x 6tb server i have at 87 euros.

Thanked by 2vimalware that_guy
  • @Styx said:

Sniper ELITE

• @Styx said:

Thanks for ruining my day!

• StyxStyx Member
    edited May 2019

@that_guy said:

@Styx said:

What did i do ? 🤣 if you want the big server i can transfer it to you. Believe someone missed a "1" when it was put on the auction. :)

Thanked by 1that_guy
  • donlidonli Member

@that_guy said:

@Styx said:

Never post what a great deal you got - someone will post about a better one they got.

Thanked by 1that_guy
  • StyxStyx Member

@donli said:

@that_guy said:

@Styx said:

Never post what a great deal you got - someone will post about a better one they got.

Haha, maybe. If Someone can beat 4x6tb, i7 3770, 32gb ram, gbit speed and unlimited traffic in europe for 31 euros, ill jump on it.

• edfoxedfox Member

@sanvit said:

I think he's talking about HostHatch $7/3TB Chicago plan

I cannot find it?