Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscribe to our newsletter

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com
Huge downtime at AlphaRacks
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

Huge downtime at AlphaRacks

StrypStryp Member

So I am a customer of AlphaRacks... okay-okay, hear me out first!

Before NFPHosting was purchased, I grabbed a $7/year VPS from them to host a TeamSpeak server on, so we could sometimes talk with my friends. Didn't pay much, didn't expect much. It was actually functioning great for the last month, there only was a downtime of ~3 hours at 20 April, but it's been up for 26 days since then, too.

Now, I have two other products, one was an NFPHosting Special, $1/year shared hosting. Okay, listen! I bought that so that I had a dirt cheap hosting for my own domain name, I didn't expect a 100% uptime service, I just wanted to use CPanel to have easily configurable mail accounts and DNS zones, and for both of those things, it's great.

The other one is an AlphaRacks Special, webhosting for $0.49/year. Yeah, I hear you. It was, again, for idling a domain name I purchased. I don't need superior uptime, response time or even for it to handle 10+ users at the same time: it just serves an HTML template.

Now to the main post: what do I call huge? Well, my "main-er" website is down for around 10 hours now.

What is interesting about this is that AlphaRacks' Client Area is non-responsive as well, it takes around 30-40 seconds to just log in, I couldn't even reach the ticket creation form. So yeah, now I'm here, waiting for it to be over, because my dumbass set all UptimeRobot monitors to use my main domain's specific subdomains (access everything from somethin.stryp.win, sounds easy enough, right?), and since even the nameservers are down, I now have 0% uptime on all tracked services. Even the ones that are up, with their own IP properly checked.

Thanked by 2Chuck klarsen

Comments

• GravelyGravely Member

You're surprised?

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • imokimok Member

@Stryp said:
    So I am a customer of AlphaRacks... okay-okay, hear me out first!

Sorry I could not read all your wall of text about shittyracks. I'm sure we have done that before.

Thanked by 3bugrakoc netomx KermEd

Janitor @ Netflix
    Viva VirMach

• tetechtetech Member

What's your point?

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • SirFoxySirFoxy Member

Does a shit bear in the woods?

phuck dis guy

• deankdeank Member
    edited May 17

We warned you.

Not even worthy of my "The end is nigh".

666, the holy number of Nigh.

• tetechtetech Member

@SirFoxy said:

Google translate has failed you

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member

@tetech said:

@SirFoxy said:

Google translate has failed you

No u

phuck dis guy

• ChuckChuck Member

Not just the shit alpharacks. It looks like colocrossing hosts also down. Conclusion: they are from same shitty company!

solvedbydata

https://hetrixtools.com/report/uptime/88634ea4392ddb71689c9aa166e61a7e/

nfphosting

https://hetrixtools.com/report/uptime/9384184d95c2fb3ee57e183d926db851/

Thanked by 1pepa65

I like what she said, not what it means.

• dahartigandahartigan Member, Host Rep

There does seem to be a wide outage on a lot of their services over the past 8 or so hours. Perhaps they have reached critical mass and deadpooled :wink:

I'm a HostDoc representative

• donlidonli Member
    edited May 17

I guess we know the answer to the "how much straw on the camel's back is too much" question.

• Thanked by 2uptime Shot2

Have an Allwinner H3 device? Android? Check out H3Droid! | Lichee Pi Zero - The 6$ SBC | #SYSarm - Get It! | Atomic Pi - $35 x86 SBC
    20+ Years IT Experience in Linux/Windows Hosting, Administration and Development

• h2oh2o Member

All QN's servers down. It smells like hiformance. :anguished:

• SkanderSkander Member
    edited May 17

@h2o said:

Yikes, this is 10x the scale of hiformance o.o

EDIT: no deadpool

HOWEVER this says otherwise: http://status.quadranet.com/

Providers I can recommend: BuyVM - AlphaVPS - MXRoute

• h2oh2o Member

@Skander said:

@h2o said:

We forgot to renew it! :lol:

Thanked by 1Skander

@h2o said:

@Skander said:

@h2o said:

We forgot to renew it! :lol:

lol.. could you imagine?

Thanked by 1Skander

• cybertechcybertech Member

UltraVPS is up though

relentless collector of highest clocked, highest performing KVM/NVMe/Gbit VPSes at the most competitive rates. just to hard idle them. zero knowledge on coding/programming; a mere hobbyist.

• h2oh2o Member

Customer Service

We are aware of an outage and ask for your patience. It appears that our datacenter / network upstream is facing a route issue which is causing downtime for some customers. We appreciate your patience and are working as diligently as possible to restore services. Thank you for your patience.

╮(╯_╰)╭

• donlidonli Member
    edited May 17

@Chuck said:
    Not just the shit alpharacks. It looks like colocrossing hosts also down. Conclusion: they are from same shitty company!

solvedbydata

nfphosting

You know that nfphosting (and w--thosting, and hostmybytes) were acquired by alpharacks, right?

• SkanderSkander Member
    edited May 17

After 10 hours of loading (client area is fucked), they have an announcement.
    Surprised my account still exists after so long with no services.

Maybe QN null routed them.. OR.. perhaps they are the people behind that recent news about the ill-gained IP addresses?

• ChuckChuck Member

@donli said:

@Chuck said:

solvedbydata

nfphosting

You know that nfphosting (and w--thosting, and hostmybytes) were acquired by alpharacks, right?

solvedbydata = hostmybytes?

I like what she said, not what it means.

• donlidonli Member

@Chuck said:

@donli said:

@Chuck said:

solvedbydata

nfphosting

solvedbydata = hostmybytes?

Not that I know of.

• WebProjectWebProject Member, Provider

As no ETA, I hope you have your data backup elsewhere? so easier to setup a new VM and migrate than waiting 1-28 days

VPS Price Match Guarantee on: All our range of DDOS protected XEN-HVM VPS Plans
    Are you looking for best price for self-managed VPS? See WebProVPS website for more details.

Are they implying that it's affecting all services in LA and Miami on QN?

I have services with other providers that are in those DC's and they are up. Really makes me wonder if this is a "account issue" and not an actual fault.

• StrypStryp Member

@Gravely said:
    You're surprised?

Not really! That is why I've ordered these services, because I don't need them to be online 24/7, I'm happy with around 90% uptime, too, because these are not live sites, my data on them isn't important and such.

@tetech said:
    What's your point?

Well, I guess a lot of people are customers of AlphaRacks (but afraid to admit) and:

@deank said:
    We warned you.

Not even worthy of my "The end is nigh".

It is nigh.

@WebProject said:
    As no ETA, I hope you have your data backup elsewhere? so easier to setup a new VM and migrate than waiting 1-28 days

I don't really have anything important on them. I have all my emails locally, I can migrate my email address if it's needed, but I'm quite happy paying $1/year for an email service with my own domain, I feel warm inside when I can enter a different address for every website, so I know who sells my data and spams it.

@dahartigan said:
    Are they implying that it's affecting all services in LA and Miami on QN?

I have services with other providers that are in those DC's and they are up. Really makes me wonder if this is a "account issue" and not an actual fault.

I can still log into the client area, I don't have unpaid invoices (I have them all prepaid for the year), so I highly doubt that.

Stryp said: I can still log into the client area, I don't have unpaid invoices (I have them all prepaid for the year), so I highly doubt that.

When I said "account issue" I was referring to Alpharacks either not paying their bills, or being suspended over something - who knows? I'm only speculating like everyone else :)

• SkanderSkander Member

@dahartigan said:

Stryp said: I can still log into the client area, I don't have unpaid invoices (I have them all prepaid for the year), so I highly doubt that.

When I said "account issue" I was referring to Alpharacks either not paying their bills, or being suspended over something - who knows? I'm only speculating like everyone else :)

Probably. QN status is 'All Systems Operational'.

Skander said: Probably. QN status is 'All Systems Operational'.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if that were actually the case. I wouldn't mind betting it is something to do with all the spam that originates from them (or their users)

• mansoormansoor Member

Alpha Racks
    Solved By Data
    HostBRZ

are all down and they went down the same time and are still down.

• atomiatomi Member

This is actually quite useful so we actually know which of these companies are linked

• KateKate Member
    edited May 17

These companies are owned/run by Dustin Cisneros and Adam Ng of formerly of QuadraNet.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • elliotcelliotc Member

It is alpharacks.

Coffee, please.

• Kiwi83Kiwi83 Member

Alpha finally reeks!

• sureiamsureiam Member

@Stryp said:
    So I am a customer of AlphaRacks... okay-okay, hear me out first! since even the nameservers are down, I now have 0% uptime on all tracked services. Even the ones that are up, with their own IP properly checked.

unacceptable. Why would you possibly use AlphaRacks name servers!? even your own registrars NS would have been better or heck Cloudflares NS..

Move your sites NS to cloudflare, then Just copy the "zone editor" dns entries for each site over. set caching on the site if its mostly static for extra redudency...

and stop using AlphaRacks... hostgator had a $3-5 a year special use them..

Thanked by 1newfulluser
  • deankdeank Member

It's a sad proof that their negative review spamming works.

• jackbjackb Member, Provider

@Kate said:
    These companies are owned/run by Dustin Cisneros and Adam Ng of formerly of QuadraNet.

Interesting that they quickly mentioned Quadranet in their tweet. I'd have assumed quadranet's reputation is more important to Dustin than Alpharacks.

Afterburst - Awesome OpenVZ&KVM VPS in US+EU

• ruggieroavruggieroav Member
    edited May 17

I agree. Someone forgot to pay a bill somewhere, or there was a null route. That's probably why Quadranet proper is up, but Alpha's range is down.

It's possible with the "acquisition" of all of these other resources, and in their attempts to consolidate, something was missed. I have read that these companies like NFP were always "controlled" by AlphaRacks all along, so this was bound to happen. On one hand, I was waiting for the other shoe to drop, on the other hand, seeing this:

... and the mere fact that there IS a status, and they are responding, even if they're ultimately covering something is better than I've seen even from some of the larger providers. Note that I have been accused in the past of being a shill for NFP, since I posted a response to a review of their reseller hosting; not true. I have no loyalty to any one provider, and as with all data companies large or small, I have my backups ready to migrate if all else fails.

• deankdeank Member

AlphaRacks is done for.

The dudes behind the getup were fired after being found out that they were abusing their positions to get better deals.

edited May 17

@ruggieroav said:
    I agree. Someone forgot to pay a bill somewhere, or there was a null route. That's probably why Quadranet proper is up, but Alpha's range is down.

Seeming more like their deals with QN got pulled same time Dustin and Adam got fired.

• tetechtetech Member

Their twitter 1h ago says "We anticipate no data loss." lol.

edited May 17

@tetech said:

I imagine they'll come to some sort of financial arrangement with QN to buy the hardware and cover some of the other losses. That's probably the only way out for Alpharacks.

• solairesolaire Member

@tetech said:

Am pretty sure they have their own customer database backed up in external location, because they're very valuable to them. So, in a way, they won't have data loss. Customers, on the other hand.. well, they might.

• doghouchdoghouch Moderator

@Chuck said:

solvedbydata

nfphosting

AlphaRacks shared:

https://status.dawgy.pw/report/uptime/df4fe76f514844a51d37be179f6e2303/

Note: the server was down before the whole incident. In fact, the downtime is so extreme that it’s been down for (essentially) the whole week.

• donlidonli Member
    edited May 17

@Stryp said:
    Am pretty sure they have their own customer database backed up in external location, because they're very valuable to them. So, in a way, they won't have data loss. Customers, on the other hand.. well, they might.

s/customer database/suckers list/

• lonealonea Member, Provider

I guess QN is invoicing these two fraudsters at full price for their rented servers... and they don't have the funds to pay for it.

Thanked by 1newfulluser

BuyWebHosting - Web Hosting for $10 per year

• donlidonli Member

@lonea said:
    I guess QN is invoicing these two fraudsters at full price for their rented servers... and they don't have the funds to pay for it.

Thanked by 3lonea t0ny0 17brownj
  • nebulaenebulae Member

If you have payment agreements setup with them on Paypal, cancel them.

.N

• fruvousfruvous Member

So what can I do other than cancel my renewal? I never signed up with AlphaRacks and got sucked in to this after they bough NFP.