Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com
OpenVPN Tutorial from LEB is missing
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

OpenVPN Tutorial from LEB is missing

I can't seem to find part 2 of the OpenVPN tutorial on LowEndBox. I believe it was the version written by Maarten Kossen. Thanks!

Comments

  • TSXTSX Member

    I'm trying to change the port to 443 from 1194. But it's not allowing me to connect. I've tried changing all the port numbers in the tutorial. I've even turned off my firewall just to test it out but nothing so far.

  • Port 443 is the https port... Do you really want it on this port? To change a port you only need to change the port in the server.conf file and update your firewall if you have one.

  • TSXTSX Member

    Yes I want to try running it on that port. Openvpn's normal port is blocked in my school. I changed the server.conf and client side and also updated my firewall to allow port 443. Here are the messages I get before it just hangs there:

    Wed Oct 30 01:34:15 2013 OpenVPN 2.3.2 i686-w64-mingw32 [SSL (OpenSSL)] [LZO] [PKCS11] [eurephia] [IPv6] built on Aug 22 2013
    Wed Oct 30 01:34:15 2013 MANAGEMENT: TCP Socket listening on [AF_INET]127.0.0.1:25340
    Wed Oct 30 01:34:15 2013 Need hold release from management interface, waiting...
    Wed Oct 30 01:34:16 2013 MANAGEMENT: Client connected from [AF_INET]127.0.0.1:25340
    Wed Oct 30 01:34:16 2013 MANAGEMENT: CMD 'state on'
    Wed Oct 30 01:34:16 2013 MANAGEMENT: CMD 'log all on'
    Wed Oct 30 01:34:16 2013 MANAGEMENT: CMD 'hold off'
    Wed Oct 30 01:34:16 2013 MANAGEMENT: CMD 'hold release'
    Wed Oct 30 01:34:16 2013 Control Channel Authentication: using 'ta.key' as a OpenVPN static key file
    Wed Oct 30 01:34:16 2013 Outgoing Control Channel Authentication: Using 160 bit message hash 'SHA1' for HMAC authentication
    Wed Oct 30 01:34:16 2013 Incoming Control Channel Authentication: Using 160 bit message hash 'SHA1' for HMAC authentication
    Wed Oct 30 01:34:16 2013 WARNING: normally if you use --mssfix and/or --fragment, you should also set --tun-mtu 1500 (currently it is 1574)
    Wed Oct 30 01:34:16 2013 Socket Buffers: R=[8192->8192] S=[8192->8192]
    Wed Oct 30 01:34:16 2013 UDPv4 link local: [undef]
    Wed Oct 30 01:34:16 2013 UDPv4 link remote: [AF_INET]95.47.118.121:443
    Wed Oct 30 01:34:16 2013 MANAGEMENT: >STATE:1383122056,WAIT,,,

  • @TSX said:
    Yes I want to try running it on that port. Openvpn's normal port is blocked in my school. I changed the server.conf and client side and also updated my firewall to allow port 443. Here are the messages I get before it just hangs there:

    Wed Oct 30 01:34:15 2013 OpenVPN 2.3.2 i686-w64-mingw32 [SSL (OpenSSL)] [LZO] [PKCS11] [eurephia] [IPv6] built on Aug 22 2013
    Wed Oct 30 01:34:15 2013 MANAGEMENT: TCP Socket listening on [AF_INET]127.0.0.1:25340
    Wed Oct 30 01:34:15 2013 Need hold release from management interface, waiting...
    Wed Oct 30 01:34:16 2013 MANAGEMENT: Client connected from [AF_INET]127.0.0.1:25340
    Wed Oct 30 01:34:16 2013 MANAGEMENT: CMD 'state on'
    Wed Oct 30 01:34:16 2013 MANAGEMENT: CMD 'log all on'
    Wed Oct 30 01:34:16 2013 MANAGEMENT: CMD 'hold off'
    Wed Oct 30 01:34:16 2013 MANAGEMENT: CMD 'hold release'
    Wed Oct 30 01:34:16 2013 Control Channel Authentication: using 'ta.key' as a OpenVPN static key file
    Wed Oct 30 01:34:16 2013 Outgoing Control Channel Authentication: Using 160 bit message hash 'SHA1' for HMAC authentication
    Wed Oct 30 01:34:16 2013 Incoming Control Channel Authentication: Using 160 bit message hash 'SHA1' for HMAC authentication
    Wed Oct 30 01:34:16 2013 WARNING: normally if you use --mssfix and/or --fragment, you should also set --tun-mtu 1500 (currently it is 1574)
    Wed Oct 30 01:34:16 2013 Socket Buffers: R=[8192->8192] S=[8192->8192]
    Wed Oct 30 01:34:16 2013 UDPv4 link local: [undef]
    Wed Oct 30 01:34:16 2013 UDPv4 link remote: [AF_INET]95.47.118.121:443
    Wed Oct 30 01:34:16 2013 MANAGEMENT: >STATE:1383122056,WAIT,,,

    please use proper formatting.

  • yes, the blog post on client config is no longer on LEB @mpkossen

  • Few weeks ago I had to google one of those LEB leechers/copycat blogs to find a copy of "Munin Amass" article which is (still) missing. I don't like to support those blogs, but sometimes they could be helpful too...

    I'm here to collect your heart

  • Probably the cluster ate it.

    -

  • I've asked Alex to look at this, because they are indeed missing. I don't think I have a backup of those two specific articles (I have drafts for some others).

    I recommend Prometeus, the best provider ever!

  • Thanks to the copy-cat, I got those two back. I will repost them later, as they need to be formatted again, etc. But at least they'll be back soon.

    I recommend Prometeus, the best provider ever!

  • IshaqIshaq Member, Provider

    @mpkossen

    Sometimes those sites are useful :P

    [BudgetNode] DDoS Protected. 7 Locations (US/EU). Check out our latest offer!
  • @Ishaq said:
    mpkossen

    Sometimes those sites are useful :P

    In this case, yes :P But they're going to get a DMCA, so...

    I recommend Prometeus, the best provider ever!

  • How? You're stealing their content :P

  • netomxnetomx Member, Moderator

    try to use softether, so much easier to set up and mantain

  • TSXTSX Member

    Wed Oct 30 12:33:34 2013 OpenVPN 2.3.2 i686-w64-mingw32 [SSL (OpenSSL)] [LZO] [PKCS11] [eurephia] [IPv6] built on Aug 22 2013

    Wed Oct 30 12:33:34 2013 MANAGEMENT: TCP Socket listening on [AF_INET]127.0.0.1:25340

    Wed Oct 30 12:33:34 2013 Need hold release from management interface, waiting...

    Wed Oct 30 12:33:34 2013 MANAGEMENT: Client connected from [AF_INET]127.0.0.1:25340

    Wed Oct 30 12:33:34 2013 MANAGEMENT: CMD 'state on'

    Wed Oct 30 12:33:34 2013 MANAGEMENT: CMD 'log all on'

    Wed Oct 30 12:33:35 2013 MANAGEMENT: CMD 'hold off'

    Wed Oct 30 12:33:35 2013 MANAGEMENT: CMD 'hold release'

    Wed Oct 30 12:33:35 2013 Control Channel Authentication: using 'ta.key' as a OpenVPN static key file

    Wed Oct 30 12:33:35 2013 Outgoing Control Channel Authentication: Using 160 bit message hash 'SHA1' for HMAC authentication

    Wed Oct 30 12:33:35 2013 Incoming Control Channel Authentication: Using 160 bit message hash 'SHA1' for HMAC authentication

    Wed Oct 30 12:33:35 2013 WARNING: normally if you use --mssfix and/or --fragment, you should also set --tun-mtu 1500 (currently it is 1574)

    Wed Oct 30 12:33:35 2013 Socket Buffers: R=[8192->8192] S=[8192->8192]

    Wed Oct 30 12:33:35 2013 UDPv4 link local: [undef]

    Wed Oct 30 12:33:35 2013 UDPv4 link remote: [AF_INET]95.47.118.121:443

    Wed Oct 30 12:33:35 2013 MANAGEMENT: >STATE:1383161615,WAIT,,,

  • TSXTSX Member

    The above are the logs which I wasn't able to connect.

  • TSXTSX Member

    I checked the logs.

    TLS key negotiation failed to occur within 60 seconds
    TLS handshake failed

    What is that?

  • Probably a wrong ta.key file

    I recommend Prometeus, the best provider ever!

  • @TSX said:
    I can't seem to find part 2 of the OpenVPN tutorial on LowEndBox. I believe it was the version written by Maarten Kossen. Thanks!

    If you have debian installed, then I'd recommend going to the lowendspirit forums, there's a auto installer script there for OpenVPN and it works perfectly.

  • @sc754 said:
    If you have debian installed, then I'd recommend going to the lowendspirit forums, there's a auto installer script there for OpenVPN and it works perfectly.

    thishttps://github.com/Nyr/openvpn-install script works fine to me, just edit config after installation. Its really simple

    Fresh new freecharge promo code and Paytm coupons.

  • Problem Solved. Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Sign In or Register to comment.