Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows node virtual machine licences
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Windows node virtual machine licences

JLDevJLDev Member

Hi,
I am looking at playing around with Windows VMs on my KVM node and wanted to know where I can get Windows VM licences from? Does anyone know of any providers that sell such licences?
Thanks in advanced!

Comments

• rubenruben Member, Host Rep

JLDev said: Windows VMs

What kind of Windows? Windows Desktop or Server?
    If you want to run a Windows Desktop version on a Server and access it from remote you should buy an additional VDA license for that. (as far as my understanding of windows licensing goes).
    But if you just want to play around, use a Windows Eval License.

• JackHJackH Member

Read about SPLA before playing with Windows, sir!

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Windows VM licences, lol.

@HJack, asking people to read is classified as a torture in this era. I am reporting you to the nerds.

• SpryServers_TabSpryServers_Tab Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2019

Unless you or your provider has an SPLA agreement, you'll need to be careful. With KVM, you need to buy separate windows licenses for each VM. There's no discount for it being a VM. Additionally, you'll need to buy a minimum of a 16 core license. (8x2-packs)

If on Windows Server Standard, running hyper-v as the hypervisor, rather than KVM, you can add up to 2 VMs without adding another license.

We just finalized our SPLA agreement a couple weeks ago, so it's all fresh in my mind :smile:

Thanked by 1JackH