Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is cPanel releasing versions too fast?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is cPanel releasing versions too fast?

They have just released version 80 to release candidate, a few days ago they released 78.0.23, I feel like they are releasing major versions without much new features?

Instead of going 78.1 or 78.2 until it reaches version 80 with a lot of new features, they just keep releasing major versions without any, at this point they may reach version 100 by the end of this year? I don't know, just random thoughts.

Comments

• donlidonli Member

Did you write a program and format the major version number with a 2 digit field or something?

• deankdeank Member, Troll

I prefer donli to alter his username to donliano.

Yes, I am complaining about something.

• desfiredesfire Member

@donli said:
    Did you write a program and format the major version number with a 2 digit field or something?

A few years ago when cPanel changed from 52 to 53 (for example) there were a lot of changes and improvemts, that is why I consider it major version

• ulayerulayer Member, Host Rep

I agree. Recently they have been jumping versions way too fast. Maybe the fault of Plesk buying them out.

• donlidonli Member

@desfire said:

@donli said:

A few years ago when cPanel changed from 52 to 53 (for example) there were a lot of changes and improvemts, that is why I consider it major version

Some people freaked out when Firefox started bumping their major version number every week or so. Adapt and overcome.

Or you can ditch Cpanel.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Are we running out of things to complain about? The version number is cosmetic, it doesn't impact the application at all.

Thanked by 1eva2000

Actually, it does. I think they are aiming to reach the magical number 666.

• GravelyGravely Member

@deank said:
    Actually, it does. I think they are aiming to reach the magical number 666.

Then cease development (and Deadpool) once that magical number is reached.

• kkrajkkkrajk Member

ulayer said: I agree. Recently they have been jumping versions way too fast. Maybe the fault of Plesk buying them out.

Probably the result of scrum

• Change to cyberpanel. Now only 1.8.3

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

cybertech said: Change to cyberpanel. Now only 1.8.3

Is cyberpanel releasing versions too slow?

• Adapt, Test and Roll-out

• ZerpyZerpy Member

@desfire said:
    They have just released version 80 to release candidate, a few days ago they released 78.0.23, I feel like they are releasing major versions without much new features?

Instead of going 78.1 or 78.2 until it reaches version 80 with a lot of new features, they just keep releasing major versions without any, at this point they may reach version 100 by the end of this year? I don't know, just random thoughts.

You're wrong.

v78 was released to "CURRENT" tier the 15th of January, v80 was released to CURRENT tier the 13th of May.

v78 was released to STABLE a few days ago, but STABLE is always delayed to pretty much right before the release of a new major version.

cPanel tries to release 3-4 major releases every year :)

cPanel uses 76, 78, 80, 82 etc for "major" releases, and the 0.x releases for bugfixes - now the middle number which tends to stay zero is reserved for if cPanel actually needs to do a release that might introduce a new feature within a major version or an enhancement that is big enough to deserve a version bump like that.

Thanked by 2FHR Clouvider