Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Microsoft will ship a full Linux kernel in Windows 10
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Microsoft will ship a full Linux kernel in Windows 10

jurevejureve Member
edited May 2019 in General

Microsoft has surprised many in the Linux developer community in recent years. Surprises have included bringing things like the Bash shell to Windows, or native OpenSSH in Windows 10, and even including Ubuntu, SUSE Linux, and Fedora in the Windows Store. Microsoft is now going even further, with plans to ship a full Linux kernel directly in Windows 10.

“Beginning with Windows Insiders builds this Summer, we will include an in-house custom-built Linux kernel to underpin the newest version of the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL),” explains Microsoft program manager Jack Hammons. “The kernel itself will initially be based on version 4.19, the latest long-term stable release of Linux. The kernel will be rebased at the designation of new long-term stable releases to ensure that the WSL kernel always has the latest Linux goodness.”

Microsoft’s integration of Linux in Windows 10 will interface with a userspace installed via the Windows Store. It’s a big shift for Microsoft, and marks the first time that the Linux kernel will be included as part of Windows. It sounds like this Linux kernel integration will be available later this year, with a Windows 10 update that’s codenamed 19H2.

For developers it should dramatically improve the performance of Microsoft’s Linux subsystem in Windows. Microsoft is also promising to update this kernel through Windows Update, and it will be fully open source with the ability for developers to create their own WSL kernel and contribute changes.

Microsoft also announced Windows Terminal today, a new command line app for Windows. It’s designed to be the central location for access to environments like PowerShell, Cmd, and the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL).

link

Will see a marriage Windows-Linux going long term and maybe we will see some future version of Windows based on Linux? :open_mouth:

Thanked by 1jvnadr

Comments

• feezioxiiifeezioxiii Member, Host Rep

Microsoft has announced Linux adaption for quite some time now :D Glad to see it finally come true this year.

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited May 2019

GNU/Windows

Meh... So it's going to be like a Linux VM sandbox inside windows... Who cares...
    Only very special people use BASH in Windows and would utilize this abomination.
    But then again, developers are sometimes weird kinky...

Thanked by 1default
  • I'm not sure who's in the right mind would let Microsoft spy themselves even more.

I bought both Windows 10 Home and Pro, OEM and Retail back in the days when I built my first Corsair-based gaming CPU. Ever since the release of Ubuntu 18.04 LTS with Gnome shipped by default recently, I've never looked back. Cosmetically, I can switch from feeling Windows to MacOS and vice-versa using the Qoqir-win-alt and McMojave shell theme and icon packs. Hack I can even make my desktop look like Win Vista or 3.1. With full Steam native support and Nvidia or other hardware open-source/proprietor drivers out of the box, I have no reason to use Windows anymore.

While I appreciate the full Linux kernel support in Windows, I just see it the same as to how ChromeOS wants to spy you guys by exploiting the open source ChromiumOS even though Google is building them both. Just like using FireFox against Chrome Browser or LibreOffice as to Microsoft Office. It's the battle of Big Data nowadays. Go figure!

Thanked by 2Chuck BeardyUnixGuy
  • Did someone say linux on HyperV? Bloody stupid idea.

• ChuckChuck Member

Microsoft knew their time with their shitty Windows OS has met @eol @deank years ago.

Their only choice is to do something "new".

Thanked by 2Janevski uptime
  • sudoranger said: I'm not sure who's in the right mind would let Microsoft spy themselves even more.

Unfortunately, too many people!

Thanked by 1sudoranger
  • @BeardyUnixGuy said:

sudoranger said: I'm not sure who's in the right mind would let Microsoft spy themselves even more.

Sad indeed. Most government agencies use Windows too. Growing up in the 80-90's, most of us got brainwashed. I hope the millennials and next generation change the market share soon. I'm all for FOSS!

• renworprenworp Member
    edited May 2019

@sudoranger said:

@BeardyUnixGuy said:

sudoranger said: I'm not sure who's in the right mind would let Microsoft spy themselves even more.

Sad indeed. Most government agencies use Windows too. Growing up in the 80-90's, most of us got brainwashed. I hope the millennials and next generation change the market share soon. I'm all for FOSS!

good luck witht that; they are busy watching (I hate this word) influencer's videos, playing fortnite and showing off their macbooks in cafés

• @renworp said:
    and showing off their macbooks in cafés

No, their parents one=)

• @renworp said:

@sudoranger said:

@BeardyUnixGuy said:

good luck witht that; they are busy watching (I hate this word) influencer's videos, playing fortnite and showing off their macbooks in cafés

You mean something like TikTok? My original argument was Windows against Linux but since you mentioned it. Apple is another company that semi-exploits open source for their own advantages and put a crazy price tags on their products. That said, I think Linux is here to stay for at least another century due to various reasons and circumstances.

• virtua_cloudvirtua_cloud Member, Patron Provider

jureve said: Will see a marriage Windows-Linux going long term and maybe we will see some future version of Windows based on Linux?

10 years ago I would have considered this as an April Fool's prank, but I'll take a look to it.

Thanked by 1jureve
  • classyclassy Member

@sudoranger said:

@renworp said:

@sudoranger said:

@BeardyUnixGuy said:

You mean something like TikTok? My original argument was Windows against Linux but since you mentioned it. Apple is another company that semi-exploits open source for their own advantages and put a crazy price tags on their products. That said, I think Linux is here to stay for at least another century due to various reasons and circumstances.

What do you mean by semi-exploits open source? They built a ton of software themselves. Are you referring to OS X being based on BSD? That'd be sad because you'd be implying they barely added anything to it and just slapped a price tag on it.

It's also not very fair if you're using Chrome/Chromium/Safari/Opera because they all won't have been the way they are without all the money Apple pumped into Webkit.

Let's also not forget their substantial contributions in developing CLang / LLVM. Usually big companies like Apple produce very nice and usable open source software / contributions, not the other way around.

Thanked by 2virtua_cloud NanoG6
  • looks up to see the avian pork

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @classy said:

@sudoranger said:

@renworp said:

@sudoranger said:

@BeardyUnixGuy said:

What do you mean by semi-exploits open source? They built a ton of software themselves. Are you referring to OS X being based on BSD? That'd be sad because you'd be implying they barely added anything to it and just slapped a price tag on it.

It's also not very fair if you're using Chrome/Chromium/Safari/Opera because they all won't have been the way they are without all the money Apple pumped into Webkit.

Let's also not forget their substantial contributions in developing CLang / LLVM. Usually big companies like Apple produce very nice and usable open source software / contributions, not the other way around.

Whatever floats the sheep's boat... iFanboys will always try to prove Apple as a holy company because they worship and give their parent's money away.

The only reason Apple invested in LLVM project is because they are using it for MacOS and iOS. It's for their own god damn benefit. You got the wrong idea of open source. It should benefit the community without taking out a single cent from your pocket. Take canonical for example, developing and add stuff on ubuntu which is based on debian. You dont have to pay anything to use it. Unlike Apple. They are business driven. They won't care less if LLVM isn't important for their business plan.

Also please read on GNU General Public License.

• This is the most useful information can be found regarding this issue. Short and simple. Loud and clear. Not sure what Apple or LLVM has to do with Linux Kernel on Windows. These sheeps are everywhere especially on Android or XDA forums.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

@sudoranger said:
    I hope the millennials and next generation change the market share soon.

If anything, it's getting worse. Not sure they even know the concept of OS.

Thanked by 2sudoranger vimalware
  • EddingEdding Member

but still no native ext(*) support :(

• BreenoBreeno Member

@sudoranger said:
    I'm not sure who's in the right mind would let Microsoft spy themselves even more.

I bought both Windows 10 Home and Pro, OEM and Retail back in the days when I built my first Corsair-based gaming CPU. Ever since the release of Ubuntu 18.04 LTS with Gnome shipped by default recently, I've never looked back. Cosmetically, I can switch from feeling Windows to MacOS and vice-versa using the Qoqir-win-alt and McMojave shell theme and icon packs. Hack I can even make my desktop look like Win Vista or 3.1. With full Steam native support and Nvidia or other hardware open-source/proprietor drivers out of the box, I have no reason to use Windows anymore.

While I appreciate the full Linux kernel support in Windows, I just see it the same as to how ChromeOS wants to spy you guys by exploiting the open source ChromiumOS even though Google is building them both. Just like using FireFox against Chrome Browser or LibreOffice as to Microsoft Office. It's the battle of Big Data nowadays. Go figure!

I'm sure ya precious MacOS dosent spy you at all.

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member

@Breeno said:

@sudoranger said:
    I'm not sure who's in the right mind would let Microsoft spy themselves even more.

I'm sure ya precious MacOS dosent spy you at all.

My precious Manjaro doesn't.

Thanked by 1Breeno
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

I guess, one of the reasons is that Windows lost it's dominance in a market that once was a niche market but today has become a very decisive market: servers. And the fact that many a server software are simply not available (or only as an afterthought version) for Windows.

The reason for that is that developing for Windows and for Unix are very different in many relevant areas. IPC is one example. Accordingly Microsoft started (years ago) to include some kind of (rather poor) compatibility system, which however was (a) poor and (b) largely ignored (or developers simply didn't know about it).

Note that Microsoft already made other attempts in that direction, the most prominent of which probably is .Net support for Linux (and buying de Iguaza's company that made Mono for Linux).

That whole thing is less surprising if one thinks about who is Microsoft's real - and potentially dangerous - competition: Apple and Android, not Linux. Being Linux friendly costs Microsoft little but brings major advantages.

Personally, my major problem with that step is that I don't trust Microsoft. Usually when they had a chance to f_ck up, they did. I guess we'll have to wait and see, how real-world useable that "built in Linux" will be/is.

• BreenoBreeno Member

Anyways guys death of windows will be when all games will work on Linux and Adobe makes its software available on windows. Till then viva Linux or the middle danger MacOS.

• defaultdefault Veteran

@Breeno said:
    Anyways guys death of windows will be when all games will work on Linux and Adobe makes its software available on windows. Till then viva Linux or the middle danger MacOS.

Let's not forget about FreeBSD. Slowly, steady, stable, it advances too.

Thanked by 1Breeno
  • In my opinion, Microsoft is improving! VS Code, ASP.NET Core, GitHub and now this.

• defaultdefault Veteran

@Georges00 said:
    In my opinion, Microsoft is improving! VS Code, ASP.NET Core, GitHub and now this.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited May 2019

Linux will dominate only when manufacturers will deliver massively and on cheaper price than Windows computers, laptops ready for the mediocre user with the necessary software for the masses (Office, browsers, video and similar to MS interface) AND major commercial software will publish compatible products (Adobe suite, CAD programs, major logistic and financial platforms, DTP, video editing etc.)
    Till now, professionals do not have real alternatives to use Linux and they are stuck either to Windows or Mac. A media company can use Premiere, Vegas, Edius or Avid only on those two. Adobe suite for the professionals on DTP/Graphics/CGI can work also only on Win and Mac. Big logistic companies will continue to rely on commercial or custom platforms that many of them has built for... Windows XP and so the list go on.

I am a living example of this:
    I am using DTP programs, like QuarkXpress. There is nothing even a little bit close to the matureness of Quark or Illustrator that can be ported to Linux without issues. There is Wine for some editions, but for a professional this is a big no-no (many compatibility issues with export and printing, tools that don't work etc.).
    I am using non-linear editors for video editing, like Edius, Vegas and Premiere. Where is any alternative for Linux? Nowhere.
    Gimp is nice. Some say it is even more powerful than Photoshop. Well, I am a good operator on Photoshop since ages and i couldn't still manage to use even for primary operations Gimp. It has sooo different logic than the standard of the industry, that is not viable to spend so much time to learn it from the beginning.

P.S. And don't forget, for users that want to use only the basics, there is android that is ready to become the standard for operatings like simple browsing, youtube, iptv, facebook and social networking, personal photo editing and filters etc. When Linux should had get into the mobile market long way ago, before Google use linux kernel for their closed edition of an OS...
    But this is the issue: no centralized organization / company that can "push" the usage of the OS and make agreements with big manufacturers and software developers...

Thanked by 3NanoG6 default jureve
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited May 2019

@jvnadr

You are almost certainly right for your area and some others, but

• In most comapnies design, DTP, Video Editing, etc. is only a very small percentage of their systems. Most systems can run linux and use linux software.

• The (quite large) niche for linux is the servers, both in companies and on the internet.

• While there is a - sometimes strong - interconnection between the two, OS and (end user) software are two quite different things.

• The big problem isn't with linux. It is with the (often more or less fanatical) open source crowd and with the development model. That, this model (losely put: "bazaar" vs "cathedral") is the major problem; not per se but in the context of software for professionally used software. The priorities are just too different and divergent. A company or institution is looking for stability, reliability, and support; The foss crowd on the other hand has quite different priorities, like e.g. the dev. experience, quite a lot of purely social factors, etc.

• One can have both, e.g. a commercial "office suit" and linux on most company desktops. I happen to know that because I've converted some companies. But you are right, I did tell them from the start to keep specialized corners on Windows and the software they are used to (like DTP, AutoCad, etc) and I strongly advised them to stay away from libreoffice and to rather buy a commercial software for Linux. But still, usually about 90% - 100% of servers and about 65% to 80% of desktops (depending on the companies segment) could be converted to linux.
      Also keep in mind that in many companies a lot of the software used by many employees, e.g. ERP, is web based anyway or at least offers a web interface optionally.

• Btw, use case is also important. While a professional (as in doing that for a living) probably strongly prefers a professional software, even things like DTP are not always done (and needed to be done) professionally - and then open source software can be a "damn good enough" option.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited May 2019

You got me wrong.

jsg said: The (quite large) niche for linux is the servers, both in companies and on the internet.

I am not saying that Linux won't /don't have a good percentage of the total market. I am sure that in the server field, it will be dominate the market, but I am talking about consumer product and daily usage. Not to mention gaming...

jsg said: In most companies design, DTP, Video Editing, etc. is only a very small percentage of their systems. Most systems can run linux and use linux software.

This field is not so small. There are many small to mid range companies or individuals that cannot use Linux for that. Add on top of that, big companies that do not want/can change their whole infrastructure and educate their personnel. This is the field I am talking of. And, don't ignore that if people use in their working environment Linux, they won't be afraid to use it also at home, later.

jsg said: The big problem isn't with linux. It is with the (often more or less fanatical) open source crowd and with the development model. That, this model (losely put: "bazaar" vs "cathedral") is the major problem; not per se but in the context of software for professionally used software. The priorities are just too different and divergent. A company or institution is looking for stability, reliability, and support; The foss crowd on the other hand has quite different priorities, like e.g. the dev. experience, quite a lot of purely social factors, etc.

I agree.

jsg said: But you are right, I did tell them from the start to keep specialized corners on Windows and the software they are used to (like DTP, AutoCad, etc) and I strongly advised them to stay away from libreoffice and to rather buy a commercial software for Linux. But still, usually about 90% - 100% of servers and about 65% to 80% of desktops (depending on the companies segment) could be converted to linux.

For big companies, that their needs are mostly office and web applications, they can easily change to Linux, IMO, if they have some capable tech guys that will guide them. But this is the point, here: a campaign from the tech community to those companies that Linux is much more cheap on the long run. Open source, stable and easily upgradable OS, freeware / cheap software for all of the basic needs, no need to upgrade every two years the PCs because of the hungry OS, better security etc. Unfortunately, most of the tech guys that are working or cooperate with such companies, big or small, either are not capable on working on Linux, they are not real tech guys but some random guys with some technical knowledge, or they are, ehm, somehow connected with the giants like MS... So, how can the directors of those companies being convinced to follow the open source road?

jsg said: Btw, use case is also important. While a professional (as in doing that for a living) probably strongly prefers a professional software, even things like DTP are not always done (and needed to be done) professionally - and then open source software can be a "damn good enough" option.

Believe me, I have tried in the past several times to use for light tasks on DTP and video field Linux, and I gave up... It's not even close...

PS: There is also another couple of things. Inertia and the fact that Windows nowadays are a really mature product. As of inertia, it is difficult to convince people to "turn" on Linux. See this example: Macintosh is the leading platform for DTP still nowadays, when Windows can offer the same strength and usability with the same exact software. But most of the designers, video editors, desk top publishers (people that are not tech guys, they just know their field) are still proffering Mac. I work on both platforms and now, I prefer Windows, because I have the same results, much better stability than the past, the same performance but much more flexibility, hardware options and openness.

• I believe Linux is doing better in the server market compared to Windows. I don't have source to prove this. On the other hand, Windows has more support for desktop app (once called software). But this is about to change. Why? Wayland is a protocol for a compositing window manager to talk to its clients, as well as a library implementing the protocol.

KDE or let's talk about Gnome, for example, a full-stack desktop organization is doing a lot better in the recent years. Canonical is trying to migrate Ubuntu's package management to use Snap which is great. Installing an app is just a click away and the database is growing. No reason to miss the crappy Windows Store. Even Microsoft had to follow the other players to have their own marketplace. Appstore, Google Play, and soon can finally kiss goodbye to the 90's .exe where viruses spread like nobody's business.

Gaming? I use Steam, so gaming in Linux has been a very great experience for me so far. No reason to use Windows. Nvidia driver can easily be installed and updated too.

We all know why Adobe doesn't support Linux.
    Coz their codebase is too large and require a lot of investment to rebuild. Too bad Chris Cox (one of the major core developers) is no longer in the team since 2016. Photoshop/Illustrator was born perhaps back in the 80's where cross platform compiler didn't exist in that time. Just look at VLC, InkScape, GIMP, Spotify or any other modern multimedia apps they are able to support a lot of OS platforms. In business point of view perhasp their CEOs didn't see the opportunity in Linux userbase or they are just too old and tired for new shit.

I understand it's not easy to migrate from Windows-based to Linux-based alternative because we are used to it since we were kids. Change is not easy. However, I'm now teaching and exposing my kids to Linux, and other FOSS apps and stay away from Windows. But I feel sad for them because they will eventually find it hard to switch from InkScape to Illustrator in the future. 😂

Even so, since Microsoft has done or is doing a lot if uturns and plan to support full Linux kernel might probably make my kid's lives easier in the future.