Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Threadripper 16core 3.4Ghz, anyone tried?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Threadripper 16core 3.4Ghz, anyone tried?

Jona4sJona4s Member

Just noticed WholesaleInternet has a Ryzen 1950x for $100/month.

Passmark appears to be 21852.

I'm curious if anyone has tested Ryze vs Xeon price / performance.

Comments

• Jona4sJona4s Member

Apparently Hetzner AX100 also offers Threadripper 2950X for €100.
    And EPYC 7401P 24-Core for €164.

Havent tested performance yet, but I'm surprised AMD price / performance is on par with Xeon.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • SirFoxySirFoxy Member

@Jona4s said:
    Apparently Hetzner AX100 also offers Threadripper 2950X for €100.
    And EPYC 7401P 24-Core for €164.

Havent tested performance yet, but I'm surprised AMD price / performance is on par with Xeon.

Intel isn't what it used to be. AMD is very competitive both consumer and server sided now.

Yes, I'm an AMD fan boy. Rocked my FX in my gaming PC for like 5 years no struggles.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • AC_FanAC_Fan Member

@Jon4s Surprised? You haven't been following CPU developments for the past couple of years then.

Thanked by 1corbpie
  • NiPlexNiPlex Member
    edited May 2019

Im planning on getting a hetzner amd box. I can run benchmarks for you guys if you need that.

Edit : taking it back, i cannot really use Hetzners amd servers, as they do not support larger HDD`s. Storing alot of data..

• AC_FanAC_Fan Member

@NiPlex said:
    Im planning on getting a hetzner amd box. I can run benchmarks for you guys if you need that.

Edit : taking it back, i cannot really use Hetzners amd servers, as they do not support larger HDD`s. Storing alot of data..

Uh, what? The AX100 comes with configurable drives only, so you can add whatever you want.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • NiPlexNiPlex Member

@AC_Fan said:

@NiPlex said:

Uh, what? The AX100 comes with configurable drives only, so you can add whatever you want.

I was talking about their AX160. Sorry if i was unclear

• corbpiecorbpie Member

This soon to be released ryzen lineup is going to be very very good

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Jona4s said:

You don’t compare Ryzen with Xeon. Epyc with Xeon makes more sense as it’s designed for servers.

Thanked by 1Silvest
  • Jona4sJona4s Member

Doesnt matter they are "not designed for servers".

A dual2core, i7, armv7 or ryzen will do fine for any web application.

On golang a simple runtime.GOMAXPROCS() will fully utilize the core count of a Ryzen 16core, and will probably outperform many of Xeon models.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@Jona4s said:
    Doesnt matter they are "not designed for servers".

A dual2core, i7, armv7 or ryzen will do fine for any web application.

On golang a simple runtime.GOMAXPROCS() will fully utilize the core count of a Ryzen 16core, and will probably outperform many of Xeon models.

Yeah, I think he meant it would be silly to compare amd’s descktop against intels server line and expect meaningful results, better to compare it to intels desktop i9 for example

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • @Clouvider said:

@Jona4s said:

You don’t compare Ryzen with Xeon. Epyc with Xeon makes more sense as it’s designed for servers.

That's because the 1950X is Threadripper, not Ryzen. The Threadripper could be compared to Xeons.

• williewillie Member
    edited May 2019

NiPlex said: I was talking about their AX160. Sorry if i was unclear

You can put whatever drives you want in the AX160 as well. See: https://www.hetzner.com/additional-hardware/

There is now also the DX180 with the 32-core epyc 7551P processor: https://www.hetzner.com/dedicated-rootserver/dell/dx180

• AC_FanAC_Fan Member

@willie It appears that you can only add NVMe or SATA SSDs to the AX160 via the configurator.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • williewillie Member

Hmm. Well, maybe you could remote mount another server (maybe an auction server) with hard drives. The network delay in the same DC will be a lot less than the hard drive seek time.

See: https://danluu.com/infinite-disk/

• LeviLevi Member

willie said: Well, maybe you could remote mount another server

That would be the same as you go with elite street girl and make your things while watching cheap street girl doing a lap dance for your local government politic. That server comes with configurable drives. If you contact hetzner, they should offer you a custom solution, not only NVMe or SSD's. Try enough.

• williewillie Member

LTniger said: custom solution

Not likely unless you want a huge amount of gear. You could otherwise just pick a different model that can take hdd's. It looks like you can put hdd's in the ax100. But if you want a really large amount of storage you have to spread it across multiple machines anyway.

• WinneWinne Member

@TimboJones said:

@Clouvider said:

@Jona4s said:

That's because the 1950X is Threadripper, not Ryzen. The Threadripper could be compared to Xeons.

Not really.

The Threadripper lineup is AMD's HEDT, both first and second generations.

The 1950X is to be compared with Intel 7th generation Skylake-X CPUs. i7-7800X (6C, 12T) to i9-7980XE (18C, 36T).

Both aren't "server grade" components.

• williewillie Member

More like Xeon W, since ECC is supported.

• @Winne said:

@TimboJones said:

@Clouvider said:

@Jona4s said:

Not really.

The Threadripper lineup is AMD's HEDT, both first and second generations.

The 1950X is to be compared with Intel 7th generation Skylake-X CPUs. i7-7800X (6C, 12T) to i9-7980XE (18C, 36T).

Both aren't "server grade" components.

You're going to have to break out your definition of "server grade", as you don't state criteria/opinion. A shitload of cores, 8 DDR slots, ECC, many more PCIe lanes, high passmark scores, etc could be argued as server features, not desktop features.

You're aware the Xeon line up varies from slow and useless to fast and expensive? Not just 1-2 high end models.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

From my own experience, when it comes to CPU, the only difference between a server CPU and a desktop (consumer) CPU is weather it supports ECC.

Absolutely no other differences other than the obvious fact that server CPU expands further in its lineup.

• williewillie Member

EPYC has a different and better memory architecture than the bigger Threadrippers. Also some Epyc and Xeon models support multiple sockets, which I think is a server-only feature these days.

• @deank said:
    From my own experience, when it comes to CPU, the only difference between a server CPU and a desktop (consumer) CPU is weather it supports ECC.

Absolutely no other differences other than the obvious fact that server CPU expands further in its lineup.

Server CPUs generally are clocked lower (expected to have higher duty cycle than desktop users) and have more cache and PCIe lanes.

@willie said:
    EPYC has a different and better memory architecture than the bigger Threadrippers. Also some Epyc and Xeon models support multiple sockets, which I think is a server-only feature these days.

High-end work station mobo still have dual-socket. Hardly desktop in terms of pricing, but it's still there..., barely, due to high core count of CPU nowadays.

• user54321user54321 Member
    edited May 2019

@TimboJones said:

@deank said:

Server CPUs generally are clocked lower (expected to have higher duty cycle than desktop users)

that is not the reason for it, the reason is power target and that intel gives a shit about it at consumer CPUs. For example the 8700k, has a TDP of 95w but uses 160w on full load, if the cooling can handle it. On the other side Intel Xeon E-2186G stays pretty much at the TDP while throttling the frequency. In the end they are the same cpu just with slightly different microcode, the I7 could even support ECC RAM if intel would like so, because the xeon and the i7 use the same memory controller.
    But hey why should they unlock ecc while they can charge you instead more money for a xeon.

Intel was unopposed in server area for 10 years. Can't blame them for getting slippery.

• omelasomelas Member
    edited May 2019

I heard while threadripper supports ecc memory some boards silently ignores ecc bit on memory?

• donlidonli Member

@omelas said:
    I heard while threadripper supports ecc memory some broads silently ignores ecc bit on memory?

Then why do women always remember exactly the last thing I did wrong?

Thanked by 1Actavus
  • ActavusActavus Member
    edited May 2019

@donli said:

Are you an AMD motherboard?
    Your quote to his had a silent ecc error.
    I see broads and boards.

• NiPlexNiPlex Member

@willie said:

NiPlex said: I was talking about their AX160. Sorry if i was unclear

You can put whatever drives you want in the AX160 as well. See: https://www.hetzner.com/additional-hardware/

There is now also the DX180 with the 32-core epyc 7551P processor: https://www.hetzner.com/dedicated-rootserver/dell/dx180

No. The ax160 only supports nvme and ssds. Not hdds.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • donlidonli Member
    edited May 2019

@Actavus said:

@donli said:

Are you an AMD motherboard?
    Your quote to his had a silent ecc error.
    I see broads and boards.

"broad" = slang for "woman" ( https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=broad )

Thanked by 1Actavus