Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Torrents and Copyrights
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Torrents and Copyrights

RedSoxRedSox Member
edited May 2019 in General

Hello!

I'd like to ask how to hide our asses from the people who monitor big torrent trackers looking for seeders and leachers? Once they see our IPs they send abuses to hosters.

I use qbittorrent and I know I have to disable: UPnP, DHT, PeX, Local peer discovery to find more peers. Also to set '0' for "Maximum active uploads", enable "Anonymous mode" and force "Require encryption". Does this really help in resolving the issue?

I set all I wrote about but it seems like qb can seed a little bit even if you forbade it. For example I downloaded one 2GB movie and qb says me I seeded 20kb of that movie.

Yes I know that there are a lot of hosters that allow/dissalow torrents and I even know the one who doesn't care and doesn't even respond to complaints from rightholders. I want to get advice on the occasion when a hoster allows torrents, but has to respond to complaints if rightholders send them.

Comments

• AC_FanAC_Fan Member

If you're downloading a Linux ISO via BitTorrent, your IP will show up in the peer list.

If you don't want people to know you're downloading a Linux ISO (Debian thx), you need to use a VPN.

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited May 2019
    1. Use Private trackers
      or
    2. Use VPN
    3. Use Seedbox

There are no other alternatives.

If you connect to a swarm from your home IP it will get logged if there is someone in that swarm with malicious intentions.

If you want a hoster that does not care, there are too many to list.
    If you want a hoster that cares, but allows you to do it as long as you dont get abuses, there are even more hosts out there to list.
    If you want a hoster that cares, but allows you to do it as long as you RESPOND to abuses, then its literally 99% of the hosts here.

Quoting @AnthonySmith

@AnthonySmith said:
    This thread is kind of like walking in to a shooting range in Texas and asking if they know when the next anti-gun rally is taking place.

I mean they probably do, but not for the reasons you would like.

• RedSoxRedSox Member

@stefeman said:
    2. Use VPN
    If you connect to a swarm from your home IP it will get logged if there is someone in that swarm with malicious intentions.

I have a VPS with VPN onboard. The question is - how to avoid abuses from rightholders? For example. I use VPN, I downloand "Shazam!", a rightholder sends an abuse to my hoster, a hoster sends me a warning mail. Ho to hide my VPS IP from those rightholders? In 2010 as I know there was a program named PeerBlock or BlockPeer that hides IPs of seeders from rightholders.

edited May 2019

@RedSox said:

@stefeman said:
    2. Use VPN

I have a VPS with VPN onboard. The question is - how to avoid abuses from rightholders? For example. I use VPN, I downloand "Shazam!", a rightholder sends an abuse to my hoster, a hoster sends me a warning mail. Ho to hide my VPS IP from those rightholders? In 2010 as I know there was a program named PeerBlock or BlockPeer that hides IPs of seeders from rightholders.

Use private trackers then. Peerblock is outdated as hell. I used that back in 2010 myself. Blocking corporate ASNs wont help if they rent a dedicated server from some big hoster to do the peer survey, or connect from colocation datacenter.

Blocklist authors only list confirmed ASN related IPs there that are used in offices and so on. They have no way of knowing if a normal peer in the swarm is actually recording other peers or not. Therefore the entire list is based on assumption that the recording bots connect from inside the office IP ranges.

We know that MarkMonitor uses normal datacenters which they disclosed themselves before.

• YuraYura Member

@RedSox said:
    For example I downloaded one 2GB movie and qb says me I seeded 20kb of that movie.

You are a leecher.

• ChuckChuck Member

@stefeman said:

@RedSox said:

@stefeman said:
    2. Use VPN

Use private trackers then. Peerblock is outdated as hell. I used that back in 2010 myself. Blocking corporate ASNs wont help if they rent a dedicated server from some big hoster to do the peer survey, or connect from colocation datacenter.

Blocklist authors only list confirmed ASN related IPs there that are used in offices and so on. They have no way of knowing if a normal peer in the swarm is actually recording other peers or not. Therefore the entire list is based on assumption that the recording bots connect from inside the office IP ranges.

We know that MarkMonitor uses normal datacenters which they disclosed themselves before.

People can still see others people's IP with private trackers.

• @Chuck said:

@stefeman said:

@RedSox said:

@stefeman said:
    2. Use VPN

People can still see others people's IP with private trackers.

But the chances of rightsholders being in the same tracker is close to zero.

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • Adam1Adam1 Member

stefeman said: But the chances of rightsholders being in the same tracker is close to zero.

why? if i were a rightsholder it'd make sense for me infiltrate private trackers as a priority and ruin their rep for being private

Thanked by 1Chuck
    edited May 2019

@Adam1 said:

stefeman said: But the chances of rightsholders being in the same tracker is close to zero.

why? if i were a rightsholder it'd make sense for me infiltrate private trackers as a priority and ruin their rep for being private

Cause it has never happened before yet. Only rumors so far, and even those are from IPT where you can buy your way in. Its much easier to just go after the admins and close down the site than infiltrate inside and track it's users. This is at least how BREIN does it.

Thanked by 2chocolateshirt Chuck
  • NiPlexNiPlex Member

Using iptorrents on hetzners servers for years, never had any issues.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Why not a seedbox and all problem solved

• AC_FanAC_Fan Member

@cybertech said:
    Why not a seedbox and all problem solved

That makes too much sense, can't have that around here, can we now?

Thanked by 1corbpie
  • RedSoxRedSox Member

@NiPlex said:

What are your qb settings?

@cybertech said:

Does it matter? Rightholders can send abuses if you downloand torrents thru VPN or thru a seedbox. It's doesn't really matter they just spot your IP and send abuses to your hoster.

• @AC_Fan said:

@cybertech said:

Ok then, I'm trying to get vps with yunohost and transmission app but could not get working yet. Maybe this can replace seedbox easier without setting up ruttorrent

• AC_FanAC_Fan Member

@cybertech said:

@AC_Fan said:

@cybertech said:

Ok then, I'm trying to get vps with yunohost and transmission app but could not get working yet. Maybe this can replace seedbox easier without setting up ruttorrent

Just use the rtinst script, don't bother doing anything manually unless you have to, usually there's a shell script, Ansible playbook or Docker image available.

Thanked by 1cybertech
  • @AC_Fan said:

@cybertech said:

@AC_Fan said:

@cybertech said:

Just use the rtinst script, don't bother doing anything manually unless you have to, usually there's a shell script, Ansible playbook or Docker image available.

Rtinst is the best. Minimal. Doesn't try to do Too Much

Thanked by 1cybertech
  • @cybertech said:

@AC_Fan said:

@cybertech said:

You don't want a VPN client on your mail server. Your mail server will get blacklisted and other problems. Get another server.

• @RedSox said:

@NiPlex said:

What are your qb settings?

@cybertech said:

Does it matter? Rightholders can send abuses if you downloand torrents thru VPN or thru a seedbox. It's doesn't really matter they just spot your IP and send abuses to your hoster.

What? How are you going to get the abuse notification if using a VPN? The VPN uses a shared IP.

• stefeman said: There are no other alternatives.

Not quite.
    Look for unlimited transfer home local ISPs with "corporate" NAT.
    Quite likely they don't have the infrastructure to log all connection states all the time themselves.
    Albeit NetFlow and TrafficFlow exist...

It's detrimental for p2p if everybody does it, but when life gives you NAT, you have to share linux
    ISOs.
    Bonus points if the ISP actively rotates the external IPs per connection state.
    But, have in mind that connections behind nats are subjected to all sorts of paranormal activities and timeouts...
    Even Google won't like you and shall ask you to fill in captchas.

• jamujajamuja Member

stefeman said: If you want a hoster that does not care, there are too many to list.

Ok, we need to list host that doesn't care.... asking for a friend :-) .
    Because I only know one in Romania who is rather famous here.

• @jamuja said:

stefeman said: If you want a hoster that does not care, there are too many to list.

Ok, we need to list host that doesn't care.... asking for a friend :-) .
    Because I only know one in Romania who is rather famous here.

OVH, Online.net, Ecatel/Novogora, BuyVM LUX just to new a few.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Solution is simple. Don’t steal someone’s work and that someone’s legally appointed agents won’t be going after you.

You surely didn’t come here to get an advice how to float the law, did you ?

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • psb777psb777 Member

@Clouvider said:
    Solution is simple. Don’t steal someone’s work and that someone’s legally appointed agents won’t be going after you.

Piracy is not theft. Theft removes the original. Piracy makes a copy.

I guess the best advice for OP is to pay up. Either pay the rightsholders which I also strongly recommend, or buy a VPN or seedbox that allows you to pass the buck.

Thanked by 2RedSox maverickp
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2019

@psb777 said:

@Clouvider said:

I profoundly disagree with this one sided opinion.

• psb777psb777 Member

@Clouvider said:

@psb777 said:

@Clouvider said:

I profoundly disagree with this one sided opinion.

I'm not defending it, neither do I fully agree with that. Piracy is unlawful, that's for sure.
    But I think they made a point, that theft is a bad metaphor for piracy.

Thanked by 1maverickp
  • JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited May 2019

I have said it before...
    The entertainment industry are nothing more than a gang of street performers who shove themselves into your face.
    They want my attention and money, i don't need them to live.
    If i have money and if i want - i will pay. I will most likely try to avoid them, if possible.
    And i won't support any forms of extortion or oppression.

Thanked by 1RedSox
  • RedSoxRedSox Member

Clouvider said: Solution is simple. Don’t steal someone’s work and that someone’s legally appointed agents won’t be going after you.

What if I feel better when stealing?

Thanked by 1Janevski
    edited May 2019

@RedSox said:

Clouvider said: Solution is simple. Don’t steal someone’s work and that someone’s legally appointed agents won’t be going after you.

Then ure on wrong forum. You can ask about DMCA "friendly" or offshore hosting, but theres a limit how far you should go with the statements since this is U.S based site and not a warez forum in general.

Thanked by 1RedSox
  • JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited May 2019

RedSox said: What if I feel better when stealing?

Priceless answer. :)

@stefeman said:

@RedSox said:

Then ure on wrong forum. You can ask about DMCA "friendly" or offshore hosting, but theres a limit how far you should go with the statements since this is U.S based site and not a warez forum in general.

Ban all non-USA members (providers too), see how that turns out.
    The internet is a public street, you (including your hypothetical "open" community) will meet a lot of people, with, perhaps different opinions.

Thanked by 1RedSox
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited May 2019

Recording from Legal Sources is allowed in Germany, too.

Gotta love Switzerlands stance on that though (so maybe get a server in Switzerland?!):

One in three people in Switzerland download unauthorized music, movies and games from the Internet and since last year the government has been wondering what to do about it. This week their response was published and it was crystal clear. Not only will downloading for personal use stay completely legal, but the copyright holders won't suffer because of it, since people eventually spend the money saved on entertainment products.

In Switzerland, just as in dozens of other countries, the entertainment industries have been complaining about dramatic losses in revenue due to online piracy.

In a response, the Swiss government has been conducting a study into the impact downloading has on society, and this week their findings were presented.

The overall conclusion of the study is that the current copyright law, under which downloading copyrighted material for personal use is permitted, doesn’t have to change.

Their report begins with noting that when it comes to copying files, the Internet has proven a game-changer. While the photocopier, audio cassette tape and VCR allowed users to make good quality copies of various media, these devices lacked a in-built distribution method. The world-wide web changed all that.

Distribution method or not, the entertainment industries have opposed all these technological inventions out of fear that their businesses would be crushed. This is not the right response according to the Swiss government, which favors the option of putting technology to good use instead of taking the repressive approach.

“Every time a new media technology has been made available, it has always been ‘abused’. This is the price we pay for progress. Winners will be those who are able to use the new technology to their advantages and losers those who missed this development and continue to follow old business models,” the report notes.

The government report further concludes that even in the current situation where piracy is rampant, the entertainment industries are not necessarily losing money. To reach this conclusion, the researchers extrapolated the findings of a study conducted by the Dutch government last year, since the countries are considered to be similar in many aspects.

The report states that around a third of Swiss citizens over 15 years old download pirated music, movies and games from the Internet. However, these people don’t spend less money as a result because the budgets they reserve for entertainment are fairly constant. This means that downloading is mostly complementary.

The other side of piracy, based on the Dutch study, is that downloaders are reported to be more frequent visitors to concerts, and game downloaders actually bought more games than those who didn’t. And in the music industry, lesser-know bands profit most from the sampling effect of file-sharing.

The Swiss report then goes on to review several of the repressive anti-piracy laws and regulations that have been implemented in other countries recently, such as the three-strikes Hadopi law in France. According to the report 12 million was spent on Hadopi in France this year, a figure the Swiss deem too high.

The report further states that it is questionable whether a three-strikes law would be legal in the first place, as the UN’s Human Rights Council labeled Internet access a human right. The Council specifically argued that Hadopi is a disproportionate law that should be repealed.

Other measures such as filtering or blocking content and websites are also rejected, because these would hurt freedom of speech and violate privacy protection laws. The report notes that even if these measures were implemented, there would be several ways to circumvent them.

The overall suggestion the Swiss government communicates to the entertainment industries is that they should adapt to the change in consumer behavior, or die. They see absolutely no need to change the law because downloading has no proven negative impact on the production of national culture.

Aside from downloading, it is also practically impossible for companies in Switzerland to go after casual uploaders. In 2010 the Supreme Court ruled that tracking companies are not allowed to log IP-addresses of file-sharers, making it impossible for rightsholders to gather evidence.