Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is nested virtualization what I think it is, but without a high overhead?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is nested virtualization what I think it is, but without a high overhead?

rchurchrchurch Member

Some of the providers here seem to offer KVM which does nested virtualization. I have done OpenVZ on top of KVM in the past but not KVM on top of KVM.

Does that mean running a KVM instance within the KVM you ordered from your provider, ie making your KVM a host node so you can run an additional 4-8 KVM nodes within it?

How much is the overhead?

Does it require or work better with CPUs which are designed for that, or it will run on any system which supports KVM?

How many levels of nesting are available?

I am beginning to remember the time I run a number of KVMs on a dedicated server and how manageable everything was and wonder if I should try it again on some if the KVM providers here.

Comments

• LeviLevi Member

You need to go deeper. Let's try this - kvm -> kvm -> xen pv -> openvz 7 and finally pump in lxc. The journey will be rough, you will cry, you will be forced to read some documentation, even manuals. Buy coffe machine, rent some hetzner auction dedi and start your journey.

• rchurchrchurch Member

@LTniger said:
    You need to go deeper. Let's try this - kvm -> kvm -> xen pv -> openvz 7 and finally pump in lxc. The journey will be rough, you will cry, you will be forced to read some documentation, even manuals. Buy coffe machine, rent some hetzner auction dedi and start your journey.

Aren't there easy to use tools for the job? I am not interested in plumbing the depths of virtualization, KVM on top of KVM is good enough for me. I just want to bring the servers I've got scattered around under one roof. And no I am not interested in dedicated servers.

OpenVZ 7 may be interesting if I don't need strict compartmentalization, but KVM should be enough.

• First-RootFirst-Root Member, Host Rep

nested virt passes vmx amd similar flags to your kvm and allows you to run own hardware virtualized kvm instances inside of your vps. We provide that for example.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

There will always be a performance hit with KVM so the more layers you add the more overhead. I'm not 100% sure as I've never tried this before but I think that the provider needs to pass the VT extensions to the VPS in order to use KVM within KVM.

• The VMX and VT Extensions are required only for KVM within KVM. If you're for example satisfied with OpenVZ/LXC type containers (i.e. not full/true virtualization like KVM) you don't need the flags to be passed through and performance will be pretty "normal". Without the flags, virtualization (of the KVM type) will suffer a relatively huge performance penalty.

• rchurchrchurch Member

@FR_Michael said:
    nested virt passes vmx amd similar flags to your kvm and allows you to run own hardware virtualized kvm instances inside of your vps. We provide that for example.

How do your Power Edition servers differ from the Ultra Edition servers? I understand the part about the dedicated cores on the Ultra Edition but not part about dedicated RAM.

With dedicated cores I assume you can max them out as long as you like and the CPU itself handle whatever throttling is required.

In the case of the RAM does it mean that you are allocated all your RAM from start up, while on the Power edition RAM is allocated as you need it until you reach the maximum? I assume that non-dedicated RAM means that it is possible to allocate more RAM than is physically available the server.

• First-RootFirst-Root Member, Host Rep

Differents between power and ultra: dedicated cpu (not "dedicated") and nvme ssds instead of enterprise sata ssds.