Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are the NVMe and SSD disks advertised by providers on RAID?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Are the NVMe and SSD disks advertised by providers on RAID?

It seems to me that providers don't mention RAID in the NVMe and SSD offerings.

It is usually with HDD that they do. Is that just my imagination or is the common case?

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited May 2019

The I/O of traditional HDD sucks as is. So, hosts advertise RAID to brag and to give false impression that their disks are blazingly fast.

SSD by its own nature is light years ahead of HDD, so all hosts need to state is that their servers have got SSD and people in general are satisfied enough.

It's always better to ask the host directly but any decent host will have some form of RAID for their own sake rather than your amusement.

• First-RootFirst-Root Member, Host Rep

It depends, most serious providers will provide services only on raid though.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

When in doubt ask. In 2019 I can't think of any reason any reputable host wouldn't be using RAID but then again it's apparent that there are plenty of clients who just care about saving every cent they can so it wouldn't surprise me that people would willingly skip the hardware redundancy if it meant saving a dollar every 12 months.

• I have mentioned it for the last few years.

We use RAID 10 for our servers with SSD's and Raid 1 for those with NVMe's

Even with it mentioned on the website and on Forum Post about 5 people have still asked in pre sales questions so far this year. - which could have been a template sent round to a load of hosts.

• poissonpoisson Member

This question is better asked directly. Even if the general consensus is that providers generally will have their SSDs in a RAID setup, the specific provider you are thinking of signing up with may not have a RAID setup if they are relatively unknown.

• HostEONSHostEONS Member, Patron Provider

Most of the SSD Providers uses RAID 10 (better to ask if they don't specify) and usually NVME providers usually use RAID 1