Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Proxmox VE 5 @kimsufi.com No internet on VM
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Proxmox VE 5 @kimsufi.com No internet on VM

arogeraroger Member

Hello

I freshly installed Proxmox VE 5 on my kimsufi server and after installing my first VM (using debian) I notice there is no outside connection inside the VM. I cannot update packages or ping.

Is there any one who can help me ? I'm also looking for port forwarding between the node and VM

Here is the node network / interfaces

`
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface enp1s0 inet manual

iface enp2s0 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address pu.bl.ic.ip/24
gateway ..*.254
bridge-ports enp1s0
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet static
address 192.168.1.1
netmask 255.255.255.0
bridge-ports none
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0

`

Here is the VM network /interfaces

`
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

allow-hotplug ens18
iface ens18 inet static
address 10.10.10.1/24
gateway 10.10.10.2`

Thanks

Comments

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited May 2019

This is need to be set in /etc/sysctl.conf to get the network working.
    net.ipv4.ip_forward=1
    Enable it with:
    sysctl -p

And configure the node's network via proxmox interface, not manually via terminal.
    here's an example

Also, your vmbr0 is listening on 192.168.1.x range and you setup a vm in a whole different subnet (10.10.10.1). If you use as vmbr0 the 192.168.1.1 address and 192.168.1.x range, then give your vm 192.168.1.2/32 or any other than 192.168.1.1 address and use as gateway 192.168.1.1

• arogeraroger Member

Well thank you so much for those explications, its now working perfectly!

Thanked by 1yongsiklee
  • plumbergplumberg Veteran

@aroger said:
    Hello

I freshly installed Proxmox VE 5 on my kimsufi server and after installing my first VM (using debian) I notice there is no outside connection inside the VM. I cannot update packages or ping.

Is there any one who can help me ? I'm also looking for port forwarding between the node and VM

Here is the node network / interfaces

`
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

iface enp1s0 inet manual

iface enp2s0 inet manual

auto vmbr0
    iface vmbr0 inet static
    address pu.bl.ic.ip/24
    gateway ..*.254
    bridge-ports enp1s0
    bridge-stp off
    bridge-fd 0

auto vmbr1
    iface vmbr1 inet static
    address 192.168.1.1
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    bridge-ports none
    bridge-stp off
    bridge-fd 0

`

Here is the VM network /interfaces

`
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

allow-hotplug ens18
    iface ens18 inet static
    address 10.10.10.1/24
    gateway 10.10.10.2`

Thanks

Does kimsufi offer additional ip for vms?

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@plumberg said:

Does kimsufi offer additional ip for vms?

No, but you can spin up NAT VMs (v4) and add v6 addresses from the /64 they give you.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member

aroger said: Well thank you so much for those explications, its now working perfectly!

Also, if you want to give access from the outside to the vm, you have to use iptables to achieve that, forwarding the external ipv4 address and certain port(s) to your internal NAT ip address (to certain ports). For example, you have to forward x.x.x.x:10122 address to your 192.168.1.2:22 internal (NAT) address, to communicate to the vm with, e.g., putty.

And if you want to setup a server there to host a website, you can use nginx on the proxmox node as reverse proxy, to forward my.example.com address to 192.168.1.2:80 .

There are tons of tutorials how to easily achieve this.

plumberg said: Does kimsufi offer additional ip for vms?

No, but this way, having your own NAT environment, you can do (almost) everything you could do with a native ipv4 address. The only thing you cannot achieve with such a setup, is to have multiple mail servers to one ipv4 (but you can always forward ports 25, 495 etc. to the internal NAT, if they are not being used to the node itself or on another vm).

Thanked by 1yongsiklee
  • I recently wrote few articles about Proxmox on OVH servers (including setting up VMs on Kimsufi), so you may want to take a look at them. They are not very detailed (hence "cheat sheets"), but they are good enough to understand what you are doing. Link

Thanked by 2plumberg uptime
  • can this work with pfsense or no?

• LutungLutung Member

Hope this work on you
    Just change the IP and paste it at /etc/network/interfaces

`auto vmbr1
    iface vmbr1 inet static
    address 10.10.2.1
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    bridge-ports none
    bridge-stp off
    bridge-fd 0

post-up echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
        post-up   iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s '10.10.2.0/24' -o vmbr0 -j MASQUERADE
        post-down iptables -t nat -D POSTROUTING -s '10.10.2.0/24' -o vmbr0 -j MASQUERADE`

Thanked by 1coreflux
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member

Lutung said: Just change the IP and paste it at /etc/network/interfaces

In proxmox, if it can be done via their GUI, prefere the GUI. Setting bonding and bridging, it is always prefered to be configured via GUI and being controlled there, not thru terminal.
    Use terminal only with special configurations on vmbr1 that cannot be achieved thru GUI.

Thanked by 1coreflux