Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated server advice with lots of IPv4 possible
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated server advice with lots of IPv4 possible

anbelevebelanbelevebel Member
edited April 2019 in General

Hello,

I'm looking to get a dedicated server to run lots of LXC containers and each one having it's own IPv4 address.

In terms of server itself, this one from Hetzner is the best option I've came across; https://www.hetzner.com/dedicated-rootserver/ex52-nvme

In this server, I can run about 100-120 LXC containers and that's exactly what I'm looking for. However Hetzner only gives 30 extra IPv4 addresses per server so I can't use them.

OVH on the other hand, has this one-time-payment IPv4 addresses option which they give you up to 256 IPv4 per server with a one time fee of 2€ for each IP.

I wish I could have the server from Hetzner with the IPv4 option from OVH but guess we can't have every good things in life, huh? 😄

For example, I could've run 120 containers on that server from Hetzner and therefore this would make monthly cost per container around €54 / 120 = €0.45.

To sum things up, I'm looking for;

• A dedicated server with at least 64GB of RAM (or at least I'd like to run 100-120 LXC containers per server)
  • Ability to get IPv4 addresses equivalent of number of containers I'll be running on the server
  • Monthly cost per container less than €1
  • Location doesn't matter

And I'll be needing 15-20 of those dedicated servers in the next few months.

Thank you for your suggestions already!

Comments

• FalzoFalzo Member

anbelevebel said: Cost per container less than €1

dream on. OVH is your best bet.

• SmartHostSmartHost Patron Provider, Veteran

You can't have the best of both worlds in that price range.

That's like going to buy a car that was advertised as 0% financing OR $3000 cash back, and asking them to give you BOTH...not going to happen.

Depending on your hardware specs requirements being realistic, I can probably get you something close...if we utilize available hardware in locations we have extra capacity.

Reach out to me to discuss further...

• +1 OVH.

Hetzner could also reject IP delegation if no strong reason is provided (personal experience).

• cociucociu Member

rent a dedi from anywhere and rent a /24 ipv4 , will be more efficient i think.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • It seems like OVH is my best bet indeed.

@cociu said:
    rent a dedi from anywhere and rent a /24 ipv4 , will be more efficient i think.

can you give me some examples?

• hzrhzr Member

What exactly do you need 20 x 256 IPs for?

Thanked by 1uptime
  • anbelevebelanbelevebel Member
    edited April 2019

@hzr said:

Not exactly 20 x 256. I just need 1 IP per container and in my example Hetzner server, I can create about 120 containers which means I'll need 120 IPv4 addresses for that server.

And again, in Hetzner example, I'm going to need 20 of those dedicated servers so that's about 2400 containers which means I'm going to need 2400 IPv4 addresses.

Hetzner server was just an example of course but you get the point. I basically need a way to create myself containers, each costs less than €1, each needs less than 512MB of RAM and most importantly, each container needs their own IPv4 address.

For example, some containers may use 300MB of RAM while others use 30MB of RAM or some containers may use 5GB of DISK while some others may use 500MB of DISK so I'm trying to create a kind of pool with this servers and I don't have to allocate RAM, CPU, DISK etc to each container. They can just basically share the resources of the main dedicated.

It doesn't have to be separate dedicated servers for sure but I guess it just minimizes the risk when you distribute your containers between different dedicated servers instead of installing them in a larger dedicated.

I'm going to run a single application on each of those containers and they all need their own IPv4 addresses.

• cociucociu Member

anbelevebel said: Not exactly 20 x 256. I just need 1 IP per container and in my example Hetzner server, I can create about 120 containers which means I'll need 120 IPv4 addresses for that server.

is verry simple , can you pm and let me know for what will be used ? i can give a unbatable price/config . We are located in Romania

• @anbelevebel said:

@hzr said:

I'm going to run a single application on each of those containers and they all need their own IPv4 addresses.

So, either shoeproxy or facebook proxy.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • anbelevebelanbelevebel Member
    edited April 2019

For the record, I'm currently running about 2000 Cloud servers on Scaleway. Their cheapest server, €1,99 per month and these are costing me about €4,000 per month in total.

I'm trying to find a way to lower this costs to at least 2x, maybe even less than €1,000.

I basically need to create my own Scaleway, Hetzner Cloud, Vultr, DigitalOcean, AWS or whatever you call it, you get the point.

And instead of paying €1,99 per server to Scaleway for 2000 servers, I'm trying to create my own so I can lower my costs, hopefully.

• @teamacc said:

So many synonyms for cocksucker these days..

• @Letzien said:

@teamacc said:

@teamacc said:

@anbelevebel said:

@hzr said:

What are those proxies?

I think we can cut your costs in half.
    Depends on the hardware specs we can work out.
    Please reach out to us to discuss further...

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Hmm, weird. I am smelling the end here.

Thanked by 2dfroe imok
  • @anbelevebel said:

@Letzien said:

@teamacc said:

@teamacc said:

@anbelevebel said:

@hzr said:

What are those proxies?

The only logical reason you need that many public IPs for containers is a proxy tool.

If it isn't a proxy tool, why not enlighten to us for what it is for? Maybe we can teach you about NAT.

• @ChaosCircle said:

@anbelevebel said:

@Letzien said:

@teamacc said:

@teamacc said:

@anbelevebel said:

@hzr said:

What are those proxies?

The only logical reason you need that many public IPs for containers is a proxy tool.

If it isn't a proxy tool, why not enlighten to us for what it is for? Maybe we can teach you about NAT.

Oh, I see. I'm definitely not going to do proxy since I don't even know what that is. :smiley:

I'm doing a SaaS business so that's why I need them. Each container will run a single application, yes but not all of them are going run a specific application. There are about 200 different applications that will run on these containers.

I'm creating the container, installing the application on a container and selling it to my customer.

I'm not doing something fishy and believe me, I need ~2000 containers for those applications but there are more than 250,000 containers right now in the world running these applications. And Vultr is the largest holder of those applications.

So it's a well known and not-fishy application.

SaaS business, hope you get the point.

• ZurgZurg Member

Master Nodes ;)

Thanked by 1anbelevebel
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Honestly if you need thousands of IPs why not just buy/lease a few ranges and colo... Thousands of IPs for SaaS? Seems silly, or horribly inefficient, but what do I know I'm not an IP wizard.

• At this scale like everyone else has said, just get your own range.

Or if you have a few sisters you could perhaps offer, @cociu is a good option.

Thanked by 1cociu

OP may not have the skillset to maintain colo and server hardware.
    There is alot more involved there than just throwing up some server in some colo space.
    Tons of hidden costs as well that will creep up over time.

Also, there could be long term contracts required with the Colocation, and then heavy up front costs for the server hardware. Not feasible for everyone to swallow that.

edited April 2019

@SmartHost said:
    Also, there could be long term contracts required with the Colocation, and then heavy up front costs for the server hardware. Not feasible for everyone to swallow that.

Upfront cost for hardware isn't going to matter much if this guy's paying thousands a month right now for bare metal.. not hard to get financing for hardware now days anyway.

• FalzoFalzo Member

SmartHost said: Not feasible for everyone to swallow that.

is it for you?

@Falzo said:

SmartHost said: Not feasible for everyone to swallow that.

is it for you?

Not sure what you are getting at here.

Wholesale service....providing service on the backend to other providers, where we buy the server hardware, and sign the long term colocation deals, is our primary industry niche.

Upfront cost for hardware isn't going to matter much if this guy's paying thousands a month right now for bare metal.. not hard to get financing for hardware now days anyway.

True for you and I maybe, but not necessarily for citizens of other countries.
    Not to mention if he is an individual or a startup, in any country, what the ridiculous rates are for some of these financing deals...

edited April 2019

@SmartHost said:

True for you and I maybe, but not necessarily for citizens of other countries.
    Not to mention if he is an individual or a startup, in any country, what the ridiculous rates are for some of these financing deals...

I'm not trying to take business away from you, but really there's better ways for him to go about this. Do you really have thousands of IPs just sitting to give him? Your looking glass uses leased/rented IPs.

Maybe you can provide consulting to him.

• cociucociu Member

anbelevebel said: anbelevebel

Any way , what is your budget target for this ?

• deankdeank Member, Troll

• @deank said:

Sisters