Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cpanel software or virtual host for multiple sites
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cpanel software or virtual host for multiple sites

Tumbleguy1Tumbleguy1 Member
edited April 2019 in Help

Hi
Can anyone provide some good suggestion for if it is good to use virtual host for multiple websites or use vestacp , direct admin similar control panel for multiple website hosting?
Also, how many website can I host on 2GB Ubuntu VPS?

Thanks

Comments

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

It depends what software (WordPress or any other cms systems) do you host and how busy the websites are?

• For Direct admin you need more RAM, minimum 1 GB is ok however they do recommend over 2 GB.

Vesta requirements are lower at 512 MB RAM

so out of your 2GB RAM after the control panel is installed and running, you will need to see how much RAM is left and the type of sites you will be hosting to work out how many websites you will be able to host.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

inventive said: For Direct admin you need more RAM, minimum 1 GB is ok however they do recommend over 2 GB.

From what the devs told me, a 512MB plan can make it work, just make sure you got a SWAP partition during the installer.

You could opt for a Slice, which does come with free DirectAdmin ;)

Francisco

• SunshineHostSunshineHost Member, Host Rep

Cyberpanel seems decent, and it's free as well.

• @SunshineHost said:
    Cyberpanel seems decent, and it's free as well.

Yes.

1GB Ram.
    It's somehow cache something, or I dunno, but it consume around 600mb for sure.
    But for a heavy site (many of them) I used 2GB ram, and it worked just perfectly fine. But ram usage - a big. Looks like some kind of memory leaks happen time to time, or other problem about what I do not know yet.

Tumbleguy1 said: Also, how many website can I host on 2GB Ubuntu VPS?

General answer:

A VPS with 2GB ram, and 2 cores/threads can work fine with up to 100 sites at the same time (drupal, wordpress, joomla, mediawiki, xenforo, smf, and many customized php apps) just fine on a Ubuntu 18.04 node with nginx, php-fpm (7.0, because 7.2 have issues with compability to many apps) and mariadb 10.1 (for compability).

Daily visits per site vary. On some it's up to 450-500 visitors per day without crawlers (real users), in other case it's up to 40 rps (requests per second) of some static sites. In another case up to 40 rps to php-fpm (on all sites). This is really varied.

But the answer is short: try with something first to understand your needs.
    Personally me will start with 2GB ram VPS and Cyberpanel for example to see how things will go on. I dislike anymore vestaCP because of too much issues with security (and still continued). CentMinMod I dislike because of CLI, other panels I dislike because I need to pay money for them.

• VeespVeesp Member, Host Rep

On what platform your websites were made and how many visitors do you expect?