Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to setup internal emailserver with internet satellites ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to setup internal emailserver with internet satellites ?

adamzadamz Member
edited April 2019 in General

Recently we had server breach on a system where several email accounts with 15yr worth of emails were sitting. Probably not, but email may have been compromised.

Perhaps I should have just properly secured the server and isolate services from each other, because it was not email that was breached. And I am probably reinventing the wheel here, but I am considering setting up internal email server, behind firewall, and have small "receiving" instance(s) on the internet, that would deliver email to the main internal server. No port would be open for MTA in the firewall, it would be pulled in. Perhaps there is a POP3 to IMAP sync tool.

I am not administrator, and will appreciate pointers and advice. What Linux package is good the intranet and for satellites in 2019? It would be nice if it had some collaboration features, calendar, etc compatible with Thunderbird.

Thank you

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2019

Based on that I think the most sensible thing you could do whether you like it or not is pay for 3rd party mail servers/ management such as hosted exchange or office 365.

No one is doing any serious development work for thunderbird in 2019.

If you insist on being at the snails edge of things then I suppose the most sensible thing to do you your position is to setup an mx feed with a third party such as mxroute or sendgrid or mandrillapp/mailchimp so you can lock down the ports to set IP's/sources.

Unless this is a no profit or personal project or it is something that is commercially not important you are talking about but frankly unless you are an experienced admin setting up what you want is not simple or rather its not simple to do it right, there are no all in 1 click here to install with friendly GUI packages available.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Wow, Thunderbird. Brings back good ole' memories.

• donlidonli Member

@deank said:
    Wow, Thunderbird. Brings back good ole' memories.

You still can remember after all those bottles?

• adamzadamz Member
    edited April 2019

Thanks.

Not looking for 1-click solutions with GUI, I am comfortable with command line. The old server was postfix + dovecot.

• You mean something like Fetchmail? http://www.fetchmail.info

Thanked by 1adamz
  • adamzadamz Member

@ARiEWWW said:
    You mean something like Fetchmail? http://www.fetchmail.info

Yes, one of the things, thank you.

• Maybe you can try to install postfix server on edge and dovecot server on internal Network, then use dovecot lmtp to connect with postfix server , just make sure you allow connection between postfix and dovecot at spesific port. When you received e-mail, postfix will handle the incoming e-mail and sent that to dovecot server and dovecot will store that email. When your user want to send e-mail they will use postfix server as smtp server (or you can configure internal smtp relay server), and when they want to read incoming e-mail they will connect to dovecot server using pop3/imap.

Or

You just install all email services behind firewall and configure NAT/port forwarding only for required ports (port 25, and only open pop3/imap if you want to allow your user to read email from internet). As long as you don't forward other ports like ssh, vnc etc I think you will be more secure...