Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ssdnodes lowest price for 1 year ever
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ssdnodes lowest price for 1 year ever

zomby1zomby1 Member
edited April 2019 in General

Hello!
I just got email and they have the really good and lowest price for recurring yearly.
2 location for the USA
https://hide.link/ssdnodes
No Ref link!

Comments

• Why use hide link and not the website address. Call me cynical but I would say you’ve hidden your aff link in there, which is just wrong

Thanked by 1maverickp
  • Resolving hide.link (hide.link)... 2a02:7b40:3e4d:9978::1, 62.77.153.120 Connecting to hide.link (hide.link)|2a02:7b40:3e4d:9978::1|:443... connected. HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 301 Moved Permanently Location: https://www.ssdnodes.com/sale/1904-annual/?utm_source=Homepage+Survey+2018&utm_campaign=0f612ad9ac-chimp_190425_svy&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_7f0c3b984d-0f612ad9ac-43835645 [following]

Looks clean to me.

Thanked by 2Gatto truweb
  • @solaire said:
    Resolving hide.link (hide.link)... 2a02:7b40:3e4d:9978::1, 62.77.153.120 Connecting to hide.link (hide.link)|2a02:7b40:3e4d:9978::1|:443... connected. HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 301 Moved Permanently Location: https://www.ssdnodes.com/sale/1904-annual/?utm_source=Homepage+Survey+2018&utm_campaign=0f612ad9ac-chimp_190425_svy&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_7f0c3b984d-0f612ad9ac-43835645 [following]

Looks clean to me.

@LeonDynamic said:
    Why use hide link and not the website address. Call me cynical but I would say you’ve hidden your aff link in there, which is just wrong

@solaire said:
    Resolving hide.link (hide.link)... 2a02:7b40:3e4d:9978::1, 62.77.153.120 Connecting to hide.link (hide.link)|2a02:7b40:3e4d:9978::1|:443... connected. HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 301 Moved Permanently Location: https://www.ssdnodes.com/sale/1904-annual/?utm_source=Homepage+Survey+2018&utm_campaign=0f612ad9ac-chimp_190425_svy&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_7f0c3b984d-0f612ad9ac-43835645 [following]

Looks clean to me.

Just a long link. It seen better with use hide.link url shortener

• OK @zomby1 I stand corrected.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@zomby1 said: Just a long link. It seen better with use hide.link url shortener

But the link https://www.ssdnodes.com/sale/1904-annual/ isn't so long.

Just because you arrived at that page through some kind of referral (with referral tags) doesn't mean that you have to repost the link with all of the referral tags!

Thanked by 1uptime
  • zomby1zomby1 Member
    edited April 2019

@angstrom said:

Just because you arrived at that page through some kind of referral (with referral tags) doesn't mean that you have to repost the link with all of the referral tags!

I got it from email. no ref link. stop spamming . just publish a deal I got from email.

Thanked by 1NanoG6
  • How's ssdnodes performance-wise? anyone's using them for money-sites/apps? Those 16 GB RAM for $99 a year is really worth of use for a busy app/site?

• https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2892023#Comment_2892023

Hi @matts, any updates since you post that awesome review last year? Could you please share your experience with SSDNodes?

@zomby1 said:

@angstrom said:

I got it from email. no ref link. stop spamming . just publish a deal I got from email.

Hey, I'm not spamming: I just said that the real link that you posted wasn't long once the referral tags are removed. (This is true.)

I didn't say that the referral tags were affiliate tags that you potentially benefit from (or that you even know why the referral tags are there), but they're nevertheless referral tags that can/should be removed if the link is further posted, otherwise they can appear like spam (even if that isn't one's intention).

It's really just a case of netiquette: don't copy and repost links blindly.

• edited April 2019

Their normal price are not eligible for LET..

• mattsmatts Member
    edited April 2019

@Kiwi83 said:
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2892023#Comment_2892023

Hi @matts, any updates since you post that awesome review last year? Could you please share your experience with SSDNodes?

Mixed feelings abound! I've provisioned and cancelled a few servers with them. I have another I just started running with this sale to burn up refund credits from my initial purchase. In general:

• the "10x" (NVMe) servers they were promoting were eye-wateringly fast; no gimmick, just crazy I/O as promised
    • performance has never been an issue (overcrowding, etc.)
    • support is consistently slow, usually taking 2+ hours to respond to any ticket at all, so resolving even something simple (hostname change, OS change) can take a few days
    • I've had maybe one or two uptime hiccups, which aren't hugely concerning but combined with the slow support are unsettling so your best course of action is to hope they know and are doing something
    • their refunds are given as promised, and they're cool about refunding prorated services after the trial period
    • the marketing gimmicks never stop being annoying

I don't know that I'd use them for anything serious in production, but for hobbyist boxes they're pretty good.

My overall impression is of a company that invests a lot in marketing, has good and calculated VPS offerings, and otherwise skimps on support and VPS software and most things that'd make the platform more pleasant to work with.

• @matts said: so resolving even something simple (hostname change, OS change) can take a few days

Just curious on why you need support to change things like this?

I'm just used to regular VPS type setups where pretty much everything I need is self-managed (and usually the only need for support is for reverse DNS setups at times, barring of course host node/network issues etc.).

Anyone who has used them care to elaborate?

Thanks in advance.

• xaocxaoc Member

@angstrom why you continue further to pick on the guy? It's his OP and he can do as he pleases. Who made you the police of topics?

• imokimok Member
    edited April 2019

When I was customer, I was not able to change OS by myself. There was not a reinstall option.

• Is there any catch? How's CPU performance? Seems a bit too good to be true... But seems they have a relatively clean rep here.

• The catch is you have to pay 3 years in advance for the best rates.

Thanked by 1matts

@xaoc said:
    @angstrom why you continue further to pick on the guy? It's his OP and he can do as he pleases. Who made you the police of topics?

Why do you think that I continue to pick on the guy?

In my first post, I said was that the link wasn't long without the referral tags.

He then apparently misunderstood what I said, accusing me of spamming.

In my second post, I clarified why I wasn't spamming.

None of this is "continuing to pick on the guy".

(In general, on a forum, it's best not to post links with referral tags, because they can appear to be spam. It's a simple point. Either he understands this or he doesn't, but if he accuses me of spamming, then I'll react, sorry.)

• mattsmatts Member
    edited April 2019

@nullnothere said:

@matts said: so resolving even something simple (hostname change, OS change) can take a few days

Just curious on why you need support to change things like this?

I'm just used to regular VPS type setups where pretty much everything I need is self-managed (and usually the only need for support is for reverse DNS setups at times, barring of course host node/network issues etc.).

Anyone who has used them care to elaborate?

Thanks in advance.

I'm also used to doing these things myself with just about any control panel. Theirs is about as barebones as it gets, so that's something important to consider given that support is slow.

FWIW, reinstall is an option but changing the OS is not. Requires a ticket.

• mattsmatts Member

@OPNodes said:
    Is there any catch? How's CPU performance? Seems a bit too good to be true... But seems they have a relatively clean rep here.

Yeah, the catch is that you have to put up with their endless marketing hype and slow support. The performance, however, is legit IMO.

Thanked by 1Daniel15
  • xaocxaoc Member

@angstrom that's a lot of text i'll never read. Thanks for the effort tho.

@xaoc said:

If you want to defend the guy, then defend him, but don't just throw out "Why you continue further to pick on the guy?" and run away.

• xaocxaoc Member

@angstrom said:

@xaoc said:

If you want to defend the guy, then defend him, but don't just throw out "Why you continue further to pick on the guy?" and run away.

I've nothing more to add on the subject.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • hzrhzr Member

openvz?

• mattsmatts Member
    edited April 2019
  • I used to put in a good word for this company often. Then, one day, they 'upgraded' their servers without notice, and suddenly my installation of cloudron.io wouldn't work anymore. Help was actually quite prompt, but they never seemed to really understand what my issue was. Turns out they switched all their VPSs to XFS. The constant miscomprehension from the Help basically meant I had to do loads of reading online about Docker running of various FSs. I found out that Docker is able to run on this FS, but there are some issues. Since I had prepaid I decided to reinstall (which was only possible by commenting out the ext4 check in the cloudron installation script), and while it runs, there are always crashes, and apps running out of memory, even though the VPS has 16GB of ram. When I got frustrated and asked for a refund since this unannounced change crippled my usage, they refused, stating that their refund policy is to never give refunds. They seemed to escalate the refund request to higher ups, but I'm not so sure since the replies were always the same. I even reached out to Matt, who signs all the advertising emails I get from SSDnodes as though he personally sends them to me, but for some reason he couldn't respond to this customer. So, I guess if your use-case differs from mine, and your apps don't have a specific FS requirement, or matches the XFS that SSDNodes uses, then I guess it will work for you. *And yes, the need to open a ticket for various things does get tiring, even something like opening a Console to access your VPS from their Dashboard.

• edited April 2019

scooke said: I used to put in a good word for this company often. Then, one day, they 'upgraded' their servers without notice, and suddenly my installation of cloudron.io wouldn't work anymore. Help was actually quite prompt, but they never seemed to really understand what my issue was. Turns out they switched all their VPSs to XFS. The constant miscomprehension from the Help basically meant I had to do loads of reading online about Docker running of various FSs. I found out that Docker is able to run on this FS, but there are some issues. Since I had prepaid I decided to reinstall (which was only possible by commenting out the ext4 check in the cloudron installation script), and while it runs, there are always crashes, and apps running out of memory, even though the VPS has 16GB of ram. When I got frustrated and asked for a refund since this unannounced change crippled my usage, they refused, stating that their refund policy is to never give refunds. They seemed to escalate the refund request to higher ups, but I'm not so sure since the replies were always the same. I even reached out to Matt, who signs all the advertising emails I get from SSDnodes as though he personally sends them to me, but for some reason he couldn't respond to this customer. So, I guess if your use-case differs from mine, and your apps don't have a specific FS requirement, or matches the XFS that SSDNodes uses, then I guess it will work for you. *And yes, the need to open a ticket for various things does get tiring, even something like opening a Console to access your VPS from their Dashboard.

What OS were you using when you were having issues?
    Did you get it working with Docker later?
    Thanks.

• mattsmatts Member

@scooke said:
    I used to put in a good word for this company often. Then, one day, they 'upgraded' their servers without notice, and suddenly my installation of cloudron.io wouldn't work anymore. Help was actually quite prompt, but they never seemed to really understand what my issue was. Turns out they switched all their VPSs to XFS. The constant miscomprehension from the Help basically meant I had to do loads of reading online about Docker running of various FSs. I found out that Docker is able to run on this FS, but there are some issues. Since I had prepaid I decided to reinstall (which was only possible by commenting out the ext4 check in the cloudron installation script), and while it runs, there are always crashes, and apps running out of memory, even though the VPS has 16GB of ram. When I got frustrated and asked for a refund since this unannounced change crippled my usage, they refused, stating that their refund policy is to never give refunds. They seemed to escalate the refund request to higher ups, but I'm not so sure since the replies were always the same. I even reached out to Matt, who signs all the advertising emails I get from SSDnodes as though he personally sends them to me, but for some reason he couldn't respond to this customer. So, I guess if your use-case differs from mine, and your apps don't have a specific FS requirement, or matches the XFS that SSDNodes uses, then I guess it will work for you. *And yes, the need to open a ticket for various things does get tiring, even something like opening a Console to access your VPS from their Dashboard.

Sorry to hear that. And this doesn't surprise me at all.

The "catch" I've found with SSD Nodes isn't that it's a scam, that performance or uptime secretly sucks, or that (at least in my experience) they don't credit/refund honestly. It's that the company is focused on marketing and 80% use case servers with good performance and really nothing else. They market their strengths, and you will absolutely not find yourself tickled at how well they cover all the other details. Because they just don't.

• They should really consider letting people trying with a shorter term, e.g. 3 months...

• mattsmatts Member

@greattomeetyou said:
    They should really consider letting people trying with a shorter term, e.g. 3 months...

One of their promos was a $1 30-day trial of any plan. And they really do issue a full refund for a new customer in that initial 3-day window or whatever they promise on their site.