Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RFQ VPS hypervisor for our guests (merged)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

RFQ VPS hypervisor for our guests (merged)

antgauchoantgaucho Member
edited April 2019 in Requests

Every couple of years we look into outsourcing the power cost and hardware maintenance of the arrangement below. Having recently discovered LowEndBox.com, I wonder if the time is nigh.

We've had a modest VMWare single ESXI (4.0.1) system stable for about 10 years, serving an in-house virtual office only. The headless esxi host is complemented by a guest that runs vSphere Client (free for one host). All this runs in a LAN we access via VPN hosted by another of the guests. There are several other guests, including SCO UNIX, an Ubuntu server, and DOS versions from Windows 98 SE through Windows 7. At the edge of all this is a hardware gateway router that we administer. The host, an IBM 3U rackmount with two hardware RAID controllers and two NICS, is plugging along as always. VPS trial period would mirror our production environment.

We would only be interested in a minimally disruptive solution. Specifically, we prefer to continue to administer a VMWare host much as we have, adding and deleting guests on a whim (which I do), and administering a (possibly virtual) gateway router. Then of course we would have to have complete control of the LAN (and by extension, the VPN).

Our bare minimum specs

Reliability.  Our system has spoiled us.  Later it need not be up 100% of the time if it can be brought up on demand within a few minutes.
13 Ghz total processing
8 GB RAM
750 GB effective storage.  Most of it does not have to be very fast.
not much bandwidth.  At this time we would trade bandwidth if necessary for other specs up to a point.  For example, here's a (slightly quieter than average) 52 day router traffic report: 

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN 100M/Full 45863060 58044403 0 42656 18832 52 days 22:19:26
LAN 100M/Full 52230044 47448340 0 864 5128 52 days 22:19:26

Location in US Central time zone slightly preferable

Comments

• Every couple of years we look into outsourcing the power cost and hardware maintenance of the arrangement below. Having recently discovered LowEndBox.com, I wonder if the time is nigh.

We've had a modest VMWare single ESXI (4.0.1) system stable for about 10 years, serving an in-house virtual office only. The headless esxi host is complemented by a guest that runs vSphere Client (free for one host). All this runs in a LAN we access via VPN hosted by another of the guests. There are several other guests, including SCO UNIX, an Ubuntu server, and DOS versions from Windows 98 SE through Windows 7. At the edge of all this is a hardware gateway router that we administer. The host, an IBM 3U rackmount with two hardware RAID controllers and two NICS, is plugging along as always. VPS trial period would mirror our production environment.

We would only be interested in a minimally disruptive solution. Specifically, we prefer to continue to administer a VMWare host much as we have, adding and deleting guests on a whim (which I do), and administering a (possibly virtual) gateway router. Then of course we would have to have complete control of the LAN (and by extension, the VPN).

Our bare minimum specs

Reliability.  Our system has spoiled us.  After trial period the VPS need not be up 100% of the time if it can always be brought up on demand within a few minutes.
    13 Ghz total processing
    8 GB RAM
    750 GB effective storage.  Most of it does not have to be very fast.
    not much bandwidth.  At this time we would trade bandwidth if necessary for other specs up to a point.  For example, here's a (barely quieter than average) 52 day router traffic report: 

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
    WAN 100M/Full 45863060 58044403 0 42656 18832 52 days 22:19:26
    LAN 100M/Full 52230044 47448340 0 864 5128 52 days 22:19:26

Location in US Central time zone slightly preferable

• WolfWolf Member

Let’s oben a third topic?

Maybe we should call our bouncers for this guest.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Few signs, nothing too stupid yet.

• Merged the threads.

• antgauchoantgaucho Member
    edited March 2022

I just had another reason to visit lowendtalk and remembered this old thread of mine. I'm happy to report that we've been using Oneilonline.com (Wattaserver) for a couple of years now. We selected their low end dedicated server running VMWare ESXi 6.x . We manage it ourselves 100%, taking full responsibility for backups etc.. Service has been good, although if you want live phone support this may not be the place for you. When we need a baremetal reboot we have to submit a ticket (Oneilonline says they had to remove the reboot tool from their client portal due to abuse.). I once shipped a hard drive with a few VMs on it and they attached it long enough for me to offload them, then sent the hard drive back to me. One of our guests runs pfSense and acts as LAN router and VPN host. Guest OSes we have installed (ourselves) now also include Linux Mint and Windows Server 2019 Datacenter. Oneilonline has been mostly very reliable. I can't offer an opinion one way or another for high-end shoppers, but for our modest requirements they were just what we were after.

I originally hoped someone would read my post here and recommend something similar. That didn't happen, but maybe this post will be of use to someone else.