Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nginx very soon on cPanel
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Nginx very soon on cPanel

agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep
edited April 2019 in General

check this out

https://blog.cpanel.com/brace-yourselves-nginx-is-coming/

after long long time...

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Not me.

The end must be nigh.

• Gee I hope this update makes it into SolusVM 2!

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2019

Nice, they stepped out of the echo chamber and started listening to customers, this will be great going forward, I do hope they consider simply allowing it to be used as a front end for static content and running along side apache as well.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

AnthonySmith said: I do hope they consider simply allowing it to be used as a front end for static content and running along side apache as well

Hopefully that's the only way it works, or it'd be the opposite of listening to customers, given that 150% of them run Wordpress and want that .htaccess working lol

jar said: Hopefully that's the only way it works, or it'd be the opposite of listening to customers, given that 150% of them run Wordpress and want that .htaccess working lol

Yep, perhaps I am missing something, did you read the blog post as that is not what i took from it, am I wrong?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

AnthonySmith said: Yep, perhaps I am missing something, did you read the blog post as that is not what i took from it, am I wrong?

It looks like a 50/50 shot on whether it's a reverse proxy to Apache, from my interpretation of the post.

• jar said: It looks like a 50/50 shot on whether it's a reverse proxy to Apache, from my interpretation of the post.

Why not both? Technically it is possible, I think, to let adminto use only apache or nginx or both with nginx as proxy for static content...

• Too little to late in my opinion, I can't see many dropping LiteSpeed in exchange for this.

austenite said: Too little to late in my opinion, I can't see many dropping LiteSpeed in exchange for this.

I think those spending a few members of L2 Staffs salary on LS+LSCache licenses p/month might consider it.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

Honestly cpanel is probably big enough, and controlling of enough of the market share to make this work. They may even develop a nginx htaccess (like) mod, a rule translation utility or custom schema (with nginx mod for loading). Like any decent company I'm sure they will discuss and prototype internally.

My money is on a reverse proxy to apache, at-least initially.

Given that there is currently a development branch available why doesnt someone (with a licence) give it a crack?

• Engintron already provides a reverse proxy to apache and integrates with cPanel well. With cPanel resources they could easily implement this.

The issue at the moment is a Nginx replacement will cause clients to lose htaccess rules which they have come accustomed too. I’m sure cPanel could come up with a local conf solution although Nginx rules are more complex than apache htaccess so might not be as user friendly.

• If you read the comments section, cPanel rep appears to suggest that NGINX is used as a replacement for Apache as opposed to reverse proxy. The rep goes on to say they're considering reverse proxying a la Plesk.

• you can use https://engintron.com/ to install Ngnix.

• AndrewSSDAndrewSSD Member, Host Rep

We are using Engintron since along time, It's too late for cpanel to announce something like that ,

• agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

for most of you who have commented about engintron, i agree, its one of the best alternative out there, infact even we use it

but if some thing inbuild will (may be) a good experience

but as @caracal pointed out, a reverse proxy would be the best welcomed option