Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will Google Apps (Free) remain free?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Will Google Apps (Free) remain free?

what do you think?

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

i dont think so, but you can still use it for free.

• Yes, they've said existing free accounts will continue to be able to use the service for free. You haven't been able to register a new free account for almost a year.

• SantiagoSantiago Member
    edited October 2013

I have a "grandfathered" GApps account.

But I am afraid that Google will completely shut it down (Who Knows)

• it may.. one day just like many other g service. you will never know.

• It supposed to stay as it is for grandfathered accounts but there's no guarantee. This is all what's officially known:

As of December 6, 2012, Google no longer offers new accounts for the free edition of Google Apps. Google Apps free edition is sometimes referred to as "Standard Edition."
    If you already have the free edition, you can continue to use it for free. This change has no impact on existing users of the free edition.

http://googleenterprise.blogspot.com/2012/12/changes-to-google-apps-for-businesses.html
    https://support.google.com/a/answer/2855120?hl=en

• Ah... no guarantee.... Thanks to everyone for your fast replies .

• DylanDylan Member
    edited October 2013

@Santiago said:
    Ah... no guarantee.... Thanks to everyone for your fast replies .

There's no guarantee that any service you aren't fully hosting yourself, whether paid or free, won't be discontinued at some point. Personally, I trust Google's free grandfathered service to stick around more than I trust many smaller competitors' paid services.

• @Dylan said:
    Yes, they've said existing free accounts will continue to be able to use the service for free.

There are a lot of ways they can make the free accounts go away though. I've noticed that IMAP is slower and times out sometimes. Also some other little things.

• @sman said:
    There are a lot of ways they can make the free accounts go away though. I've noticed that IMAP is slower and times out sometimes. Also some other little things.

Some other little things?

• smansman Member
    edited October 2013

@Santiago said:

I'm not keeping a list and can't tell you off the top of my head. I've had free and paid Gapps pretty much since day 1 of both services starting. I can tell you Gapps free is not the same quality of service it was when I first got it.

• No .

• It's not like it costs them a lot. I mean the cost is negligible given the scale at which google operates. So they'll likely keep it free.

• Nothing is free forever, but for every year you don't have to pay, it is $50/user saved.

Thanked by 1Abdussamad
  • JunJun Member

For those who already have free account, yes.
    For new users, no.

They had to close some free services like reader since it costs to maintain while they are not profitable. However, Google Apps is one of their main domains of work and there is no way they will give it up. And as long as their service is up, they wouldn't cancel existing free users.

That is just my guess. No guarantee. I'm willing to pay anyways :P

• zhuanyi said: Nothing is free forever, but for every year you don't have to pay, it is $50/user saved.

Very nice. You've started off with a philosophical quote and then rounded it up with something practical.

• c0yc0y Member

@Jun said:
    They had to close some free services like reader since it costs to maintain while they are not profitable. However, Google Apps is one of their main domains of work and there is no way they will give it up. And as long as their service is up, they wouldn't cancel existing free users.

Moreof because they had developers working on it and they hosted it, they were losing an iffy little bit of money and perhaps it were their investors who told them to stop wasting on it.

The truth is, there was no commercial version and it was a bit overhauled for a big organization like Google to do, so they dropped it: one less worry ;-)