Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Large VPS, Dedi or Reseller - The age old Question - Offers Welcome
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Large VPS, Dedi or Reseller - The age old Question - Offers Welcome

Hello Guys,
There is a unique scenario I have right now. I hope I can get some insights from the budget maestros here to speak from their experience and help me out.

Being an old member of this community, I have garnered many VPSes, reseller and shared hosting accounts and I normally assign them to a particular client who doesnt want exorbitant yearly costs to host their sites/APIs which they build through us and I earn a healthy difference on them.

So for example, I have over 9xNAT VPSs, 1xLES Bundle, 7x1GB RAM VPSes, 4x Reseller Hosting and various other special offers I have acquired over the years from various providers including the storage offer Abdullah just posted few days ago, many of which I am not even using right now. These are getting increasingly difficult to manage and sometimes I even forget I had bought one unless I get an invoice from the company for renewal.

Tipping Point

• One of the main Reseller Accounts I had was from w00tH0sting which was a 28$/year deal with about 1TB of storage and was a really good deal where I was hosting a huge bulk of clients who really had meagre amount of visitors daily or were absolutely static sites. I know I will recieve a lot of flak for this, given their history here on LET, but I honestly never faced any significant downtimes or huge disruption of service and having cloudflare always helped anyway. At the most they were 5-10 second drops maybe twice a month and since they were lowend clients, they just wanted their website online and thats about it. I guess I was just lucky. But now that Alpharacks has acquired them, the service has gone to shit, I receive daily uptime robot emails of websites being unreachable etc. on a daily basis and they stay that way for hours sometimes now. So I have a decision to make.

I want to let go of all these smaller deals (barring some coz they are fucking unbelievable) and need to go a with an integrated and larger solution so that I can manage all these sites in one place without much interruption and at peace.

My primary requirements would something of the following nature:-

Cores: Atleast 2
RAM: 8-16GB
Space: Atleast 100GB SSD or 480GB SAS/HDD
Bandwidth: Atleast 5 TB
Location Preference: EU

Budget: 15-20$/month

Herein lies the Question:-

Should I go with a
1) Larger VPS
Contenders: Contabo, Netcup, Wishosting, First-Root

2) Reseller Hosting
Contenders: 2xRamnode Reseller Plan, 2xBuyshared Reseller 125G (Damn-its always out of stock when I need it)

3) Dedicated
Contenders: Oneprovider, Kimsufi. Some providers do provide them at Unbelievable pricing nowadays. Kindly do not recommend Hetzner. Already use them for higher budgets and larger use-cases.

I am eagerly awaiting your recommendations, offers and Providers not on this list that you deem reliable. Need to close this in the next 2 days. All help will be extremely appreciated.

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

subhojitdutta said: its always out of stock when I need it

Sorry. Was supposed to install some more gear this weekend but been feeling out of it.

Francisco

• subhojitduttasubhojitdutta Member
    edited April 2019

Francisco said: Sorry. Was supposed to install some more gear this weekend but been feeling out of it.

Waiting Eagerly for Luxemborg

• HaendlerITHaendlerIT Member, Host Rep

Since I was always a fan of dedicated hardware here a offer from us:

CPU: Celeron J1900
    RAM: 8 GB DDR3
    SSD: 240 GB

With 5 IPv4 for 21,99 € /month

or for 19,99€ / month with one IPv4

Thanked by 1subhojitdutta
  • First-RootFirst-Root Member, Host Rep

I won't even remotely think about anything without raid as you want to place customers on it. God I won't use anything without raid even for storing my "holiday pictures" on it though...

Most VPS will outperform dservers in that price range without problems and you don't need to deal with failed hardware (disks / psu).
    Just make sure to take a provider that runs on serious hardware that can hot swap disks / psu and have dual power supplies with a+b feed.

• FR_Michael said: I won't even remotely think about anything without raid as you want to place customers on it

Thats why I am highly leaning towards VPS/Reseller Hosting. But Hey, Its Easter Season so open to offers.

FR_Michael said: Just make sure to take a provider that runs on serious hardware that can hot swap disks / psu and have dual power supplies with a+b feed.

Most of the providers I have mentioned including yourself do offer that.

• If you already have such a large client base will recommend to go for a dedicated server. Keeping clients in 2 or 4 different providers is not a good idea in my opinion.

• I am in a very similar position to yourself and I personally use contabo and recently hostdoc and have faced very little downtime if any.

Contabo has been fantastic, the only limiting factor as I have the smaller plan is the port speed but with a higher value plan you won't have that issue.

Hostdoc I use as a windows vps to manage from anywhere and backup.

I found that although most reseller accounts are great for general use the I/O was a significant limiting factor and decided to host my own control panel and reep the rewards.

• unknownbullet said: I found that although most reseller accounts are great for general use the I/O was a significant limiting factor and decided to host my own control panel and reep the rewards.

Thanks for the advice. This helps a lot

• Are you including any software license's within that budget.

E.g cPanel, cloudlinux etc. If your wanting to manage the server that way? As that is for quite a few the perk of a reseller over going with VPS/Dedi for smaller accounts/packages.

• Since ur hosting multiple (production) clients u will want consistency in I/O , CPU , ECC ram, network, first root has good hardware n big ssd for one price

Thanked by 1First-Root
  • @subhojitdutta said:

unknownbullet said: I found that although most reseller accounts are great for general use the I/O was a significant limiting factor and decided to host my own control panel and reep the rewards.

Thanks for the advice. This helps a lot

No problem, I also would like to add I use the control panel called cyberpanel which is ran by a user on here, their name forgets me now but they offer fantastic support for the cost of nothing.

• quadhost said: Are you including any software license's within that budget.

E.g cPanel, cloudlinux etc. If your wanting to manage the server that way? As that is for quite a few the perk of a reseller over going with VPS/Dedi for smaller accounts/packages.

Actually none. As I said its only for clients who dont have any technical knowledge and we build, deploy and maintain most of their online resources. They just have access to the admin panel of the sites they have hosted with us and thats about it.

Having a premium cPanel just adds to ease of use and saves our time on setup, maintenance and backup. Thats about it, but since we do server operations on a daily basis, its not a huge factor to take into consideration. We already have premium panels like Plesk etc. on our private cloud for our enterprise clients.

• @subhojitdutta said:

quadhost said: Are you including any software license's within that budget.

Actually none. As I said its only for clients who dont have any technical knowledge and we build, deploy and maintain most of their online resources. They just have access to the admin panel of the sites they have hosted with us and thats about it.

Having a premium cPanel just adds to ease of use and saves our time on setup, maintenance and backup. Thats about it, but since we do server operations on a daily basis, its not a huge factor to take into consideration. We already have premium panels like Plesk etc. on our private cloud for our enterprise clients.

Understood. I'd suggest a larger VPS then in this case or if you can find a good deal on a dual disk dedicated then that. Reseller accounts can make life easier but you'd typically be paying extra vs hardware specifications for an interface you'd not be using.

• The cPanel licence will take away half of your budget, just get 2 RamNode Reseller plans and call it a day.

• First-RootFirst-Root Member, Host Rep

@AC_Fan said:
    The cPanel licence will take away half of your budget, just get 2 RamNode Reseller plans and call it a day.

maybe that's the reason he don't want cpanel :)

Thanked by 2AC_Fan subhojitdutta
  • @FR_Michael said:

@AC_Fan said:
    The cPanel licence will take away half of your budget, just get 2 RamNode Reseller plans and call it a day.

maybe that's the reason he don't want cpanel :)

My bad, that's what I get for not reading the comment fully. I'll probably go with First-Root then, plenty of space and hardware and sufficient bandwidth.

Thanked by 1First-Root
  • IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Hello

@OP, that's a difficult question, it depends on time and budget you have and that is directly related to the number of customers you have as well.

Let's say you have plenty of time and money, take a dedi with RAID, setup all your customers and do a full backup each day (external). Setup monitoring tools to be warned if something goes wrong and stay in touch with your customers.

If you're average on time and money, you should go for a cloud and setup a VM for each of your customers and use an extra machine from external source to backup each of the VMs.

If you're short on money and time, take a big VM, setup your clients and do not forget the full backup on a storage plan for exemple.

Ps : Some providers also provide managed services, look for this feature in your host search.

Greetings,